• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lessons learnt on my first Camino

HelS

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 23
I started walking the Camino Frances from SJPP on 16th Sept and planned to finish in Santiago early November, but the Camino had other plans for me. I ended up having to abandon my pilgrimage at Villatuerta, much to my utter disappointment. I pulled a tendon just below my knee on my way up to Alto del Pardon and as I tried to keep walking it became impossible to continue. Even though I had trained prior to my Camino and I am a reasonably fit 69yr old, it was just as simple as the way that I stepped that caused the injury.

The fellow pilgrims who came to my aid, were so kind and generous, thank you. They walked with me and showed me unintentionally “my lesson”… that I should have been giving my body more rest breaks through the day. I had to admit to myself that there was that little bit of fear in the back of my mind, that I might not make it to where I was planning to stop for the night, so I just kept walking. Lesson learnt.

I joined this forum early on in 2023 to help plan my Camino, so a big thank you to Ivar and to the people on here for the giving of your experience and knowledge, much appreciated and so very useful when planning.

The staff at Hostel La Numantina in Logrono were very helpful and kind, it is a great place to stay, and also Fisioterapia Perez y Sacedo in Logrono was very helpful.

What I did experience on the Camino was so amazing and spectacular, totally liberating.

The memory of walking over the Pyrenees often pops into my mind. I can see why people go back to walk again and again. I’m returning mid April 2024 to continue and finish my Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I started walking the Camino Frances from SJPP on 16th Sept and planned to finish in Santiago early November, but the Camino had other plans for me. I ended up having to abandon my pilgrimage at Villatuerta, much to my utter disappointment. I pulled a tendon just below my knee on my way up to Alto del Pardon and as I tried to keep walking it became impossible to continue. Even though I had trained prior to my Camino and I am a reasonably fit 69yr old, it was just as simple as the way that I stepped that caused the injury.

The fellow pilgrims who came to my aid, were so kind and generous, thank you. They walked with me and showed me unintentionally “my lesson”… that I should have been giving my body more rest breaks through the day. I had to admit to myself that there was that little bit of fear in the back of my mind, that I might not make it to where I was planning to stop for the night, so I just kept walking. Lesson learnt.

I joined this forum early on in 2023 to help plan my Camino, so a big thank you to Ivar and to the people on here for the giving of your experience and knowledge, much appreciated and so very useful when planning.

The staff at Hostel La Numantina in Logrono were very helpful and kind, it is a great place to stay, and also Fisioterapia Perez y Sacedo in Logrono was very helpful.

What I did experience on the Camino was so amazing and spectacular, totally liberating.

The memory of walking over the Pyrenees often pops into my mind. I can see why people go back to walk again and again. I’m returning mid April 2024 to continue and finish my Camino.
My first in 2013 I followed all the experts, lined socks, two pairs, correct position of bag on back, carried a full bath towel , I had everything but the kitchen sink in by bag, "come to think about it"
I think I had the kitchen sink in my backpack, took the long route into Roncevalles.
Lost all my toe nails, walked away from camino friends, but it was best time ever as was the next 12 times,
As Mcarthur said "I will be back" and so will you.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hope you are recovering well, there's always next time.

My experience on my first Camino this year was very similar. I, too, had a knee injury and had to end my walk at Atapuerca. I was extremely disappointed, but was able, after a couple of weeks, to enjoy some sightseeing by way of buses and taxis. I will be going back next May, at age 73, to (hopefully) walk onward to Santiago. Good luck to us both!

...but the Camino had other plans for me. I ended up having to abandon my pilgrimage at Villatuerta, much to my utter disappointment. I pulled a tendon just below my knee on my way up to Alto del Pardon and as I tried to keep walking it became impossible to continue.
The Alto del Perdon was also my nemesis on the Camino. I got a really bad shin splint/stress fracture and ended up having to finish my Camino by bicycle after 10 days of rest in Puenta La Reina and Pamplona.

Training- training- training, if you're not used to regular long hikes with a backpack, is the secret. I didn't do enough, although I had some foot medical issues that contributed to my problems.

I also plan to give it another try this year. Wishing you a Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I think I can safely say, for those of us who have walked many multiple caminos (I have walked 8 and there are those who have walked many more. 8,000 kilometers and counting haha) that you have just scratched the surface of what you have experienced and learned. You have already learned one of the most valuable. Listen only to your body and your rhythm of your walking. Walking to keep up with others or what you think you should be walking and pushing yourself, or for that matter walking too slowly to slow down with others can be a formula for pain. I too am 69. This year because I needed physical therapy for my back and then spending 3 weeks in New York with my kids and friends meant I really had almost no training to begin my 875k camino. But I have learned the lessons my caminos have taught me and I had no problems at all. Buen Camino

Last edited:
Lessons learnt on my first (hopefully not last) Camino.
1: Take it easy day one (two and three also not a bad idea). 40 kms on the first day in searing heat was a recipe for disaster.
2: Don’t pack your fears but if you do you can always donate/gift the extra pair of gaiters that you didn’t lose like you thought you would.
3: Slow down walk your Camino and not someone else’s. There are lots of wonderful peregrinos with plenty of good advice trust your instincts to know what’s right for you.
4: Have some idea of what the day holds. so you bring enough water or food as needed. Helps to avoid walking in the wrong direction for a half an hour adding a few unnecessary kilometres to an already long day.
5: Stop every 10kms take off your shoes and socks. Take insoles out of your shoes air everything and rest feet. Reapply Vaseline to feet, put on fresh socks, repeat.
6: Reapply sunscreen!
No doubt you will be back. Buen Camino

A long way to come, from Australia, to have that happen. You have my sympathy. I wish you well for your next Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I reckon that sneaky little climb up to Alto del Perdón (and the rocky descent on the other side) catches a lot of people out. Good for you for planning to return to the Camino. May I suggest, if you haven't already, buy yourself a good set of walking sticks and learn to use them properly. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.