• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for first Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello, I did the same route as my first camino. I flew into Porto, arriving mid afternoon, so I walked from the airport, which is on the central route, about 10 or 12 kilos and stayed in Laburge. In the morning I walked the short distance to the coastal route and stayed on the coastal route the rest of my camino. When I finished, I took the train to Porto and then spent a day, went to the cathedral, sightseeing downtown. Then walked along the river to the ocean and along the boardwalk to get a real taste of the area, then hopped the metro to the airport and flew home.
Enjoy Bien camino 😀

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I spent a couple days in Porto, then took the bus to Matosinhos to start my walk. (Others recommend taking the river walk to the coast, so consider that, too.) I LOVED the boardwalks along the beaches walking north. Then I transferred to the Central route across to Rates. If you get the Wise Pilgrim app on your phone, there are instructions on how to do that. It is a lovely walk and you will have a great time!

That’s exactly what I finally decided to do. I’m flying into Porto super early in the morning and plan to walk from the cathedral to Matosinhos that day. I’ll cut back over to the Central at Vila do Conde. It seemed like a good compromise when I couldn’t decide between the coastal and central lol.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My recommendation for all first Caminos, regardless of routes, is to give yourself more time than you think you will possibly need. You don't really know how far your body is prepared to walk day after day after day until you actually start doing the walk. And if you find yourself sidelined for a few days with shin splints or tendonitis or something like that, the last thing you want is to find yourself forced into excessively long days just to make up time. If you give yourself extra time and find that you don't need it, you can always walk on to Finisterre/Muxia or just do some sightseeing in Spain or Portugal before heading home.

When I did the Portugues from Porto I gave myself three weeks ended up taking thirteen days walking and then spent a couple of extra days each in Porto and Lisbon before flying home.

Hi all!

I’m doing my first Camino in August. I’m doing the Portuguese coastal and I’m doing it solo. Are there any tips that I may not think about that anyone who has done it before has?

Thanks!
I am following this thread, my husband and I are also doing our first Camino starting in Bainoa (part Coastal/ finishing Central) in June. Any tips and/or after action reports :)

Hi all!

I’m doing my first Camino in August. I’m doing the Portuguese coastal and I’m doing it solo. Are there any tips that I may not think about that anyone who has done it before has?

Thanks!
Hello and Welcome!

the answer is YES!

DO NOT "think about anything" and DO NOT anticipate anything based on the stories, experiences, YouTube videos and whatever you saw in DA MOVIE!
By all means plan, be excited, look forward to it but remember that whatever will happen will be "your Camino" and in that you are to find beauty and thrill of adventure!

"simple" is better (there is a reason The Prayer goes "Give Us Today Our Daily Bread" - Camino is a good one to live One day at the time)

Good Luck and Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back