• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RENFE tickets

Nandy61

Time of past OR future Camino
2010-present, multi paths & years
Will be arriving at T4 in Madrid Barajas on Saturday 16 September at 7:40am. Assuming the flight is on time, any thoughts on making the 8:57am Cercanias train to Chamartin, so as to catch the 9:30am train to Leon? (No checked luggage) More importantly, if we miss that connection is it easy to exchange the tix for the 11:48 am train? My options are to by the "Turista" Promo+ fare for €35 or the Preferente Promo+ fare (which doesn't any different from the Turista!) for €39. Any advice welcomed!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Miles easier to get the bus at T4 to León. Probably faster too. You can buy tickets online or at the desk in the terminal.

There's an 11:15 bus from T4 to Leon, arriving at 3:45 pm. I prefer the train over the bus any day, but in this case, the bus might be easier.

You could leave the decision till you arrive (unless this weekend is some special holiday I don't know about). With a 7:40 arrival, if it's on time, you will have to first go through immigration (usually no line at that time in the morning) take the 4 minute train to T4 (international flights arriving at T4 arrive at T4-S (for satellite) and make your way to Cercanias. It is all well marked, look up the logo for Cercanias (kind of a backwards white C on a red background). You should even make the 8:30 Cercanias, especially if you are not checking luggage, getting to Chamartin in plenty of time. RENFE also has a ticket office at T4, right at the entrance to the Cercanias, so you could buy your ticket to Leon right there and avoid the lines at Chamartin.

Barajas tip -- it's almost always quicker to take the elevator, because the escalator is frequently two flights or more.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are over 60 a Spanish senior rail card gives great discounts. It costs only a few euros and is available at stations, you need to show your passport.

I believe the discount card Fleur just mentioned is called a "Tarjeta Dorada". Mine cost 6 euros last June and it is valid for a year.

Buen camino!

Tom

@ Tom , that is correct. Mon - Thu travel offers a big discount (40% ) Fri - Sunday smaller discount (25%)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are over 60 a Spanish senior rail card gives great discounts. It costs only a few euros and is available at stations, you need to show your passport.

Buy the Gold Card ("Tarjeta Dorada") before you buy your ticket(s).

Gold Card can not be used for AVE tickets. But, saves lots on all other trains.

If someone is riding the narrow-gauge FEVE railway in Northern Spain, you trade in your Gold Card for a FEVE card. Cost adjusted.

After the Ingles rode the FEVE railway. Once in a life time ride. Beautiful! Wonderful towns along the way.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...spain-feve-railway-santander-asturias-galicia

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/travel/14explorer.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...y-train-riding-the-narrow-gauge-FEVE-railway/

Last edited by a moderator:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There's an 11:15 bus from T4 to Leon, arriving at 3:45 pm. I prefer the train over the bus any day, but in this case, the bus might be easier.

You could leave the decision till you arrive (unless this weekend is some special holiday I don't know about). With a 7:40 arrival, if it's on time, you will have to first go through immigration (usually no line at that time in the morning) take the 4 minute train to T4 (international flights arriving at T4 arrive at T4-S (for satellite) and make your way to Cercanias. It is all well marked, look up the logo for Cercanias (kind of a backwards white C on a red background). You should even make the 8:30 Cercanias, especially if you are not checking luggage, getting to Chamartin in plenty of time. RENFE also has a ticket office at T4, right at the entrance to the Cercanias, so you could buy your ticket to Leon right there and avoid the lines at Chamartin.

Barajas tip -- it's almost always quicker to take the elevator, because the escalator is frequently two flights or more.
As always, you give such detailed great advice, Laurie. If I'd had this much information on navigating the Barajas airport before my first Camino, I probably wouldn't have my "nightmare memory" of trying to get to the train to Pamplona. I'm sure my lack of speaking Spanish had something to do with all my issues! :confused:

Last edited:
If you check your pack, forget that tight connection. My experience at MAD is that international bag claim is very slow. I agree that the bus is probably a very good choice. Good luck and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back