• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Replacement bus to SJPDP on Sunday 12 May

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
SNCF have cancelled a couple of trains from Bayonne to SJPDP on Sunday afternoon/evening and will be running a replacement bus service.

I discovered this on Facebook today where someone made an anxious post about receiving an email from SNCF cancelling their journey from Paris. They were then unable to find a direct train from Paris to SJPDP on the SNCF website and assumed that meant no trains were running or available. It appears they were not aware of the need to change trains in Bayonne. The result is that the person posting was trying to book a flight to Biarritz at short notice simply because a bus will be running instead of the TER train. Apparently it was not clear from the email that the cancellation related only to the final leg of the journey and that a bus alternative is being provided for that sector. A problem which has happened before.

Screenshot_20240510-205010~2.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Bradypus, I saw the conversation and the less than ideal advice from people who cannot be bothered to check anything online but have to rush in and share what they are thinking 🥴. Not all of them 😉 but some.

It is a reccurring problem: A TER train for Bayonne-SJPP is replaced by a bus, with a short-term announcement. It appears to have more to do with logistics (staff availability) than engineering works. People who have booked a ticket from Paris to SJPP get an email about the cancellation of the TER train and do not know that they can start their journey without much further ado. All there is to it is the fact that the replacement bus will arrive in SJPP some 20-30 minutes later than the TER train. Their SNCF train ticket is valid for the whole journey from Paris to SJPP. The replacement bus leaves just outside of Bayonne station.

I don’t know what it says in the email that they are getting. If they are not familiar with it all, I am not surprised that they are somewhere between worry and panic.

Contrary to what the poster believes, the journey is listed on the sncf-connect website. One merely has to click on the "See only the timetable" tab and not on the "See prices" tab. For future reference. Maybe it helps. The cynic in me doubts it though ...

Connections on Sncf-connect.com for Sunday 12 May 2024:
From Bayonne - 4 journeys are listed: train; train; replacement bus; replacement bus.
12 May Bayonne SJPP.jpg
From Paris - 2 journeys are listed: high speed train & replacement bus; high speed train & regional train & replacement bus
12 May Paris to SJPP.jpg

Last edited:
Contrary to what the poster claims, the journey is listed on the sncf-connect website.
My impression from his posts on Facebook was that he had searched only for direct trains to SJPDP and unsurprisingly found none. I am always surprised that people do not think to check for likely connecting trains from intermediate points. RENFE are very poor at providing information on journeys with a change of trains and at times SNCF can come close though they are generally better about it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back