• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Requejo to Lubian (Camino Sanabres)

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There are several large, classic Camino signs pointing to down that turn off to the right. @geraldkelly points you that way. Gronze takes you way. Every source shows that route except @wisepilgrim, who says that detour is the old route and you shouldn't turn off, that it is the "old" Camino. WisePilgrim says the new" Camino continues straight on the highway for a short bit and then turns left down a grassy pathway. So that is what we did. We are following @WisePilgim's directions and map and will be coming to Lubian soon (about 3k). It is a pretty route on trails and country roads and
I'm glad we took it. If we werent following WP's map, we never would have followed this route and would wonder the whole time if we were lost. In some places it looks like no one has walked there.

What accounts for your route @WisePilgim when everyone else directs one to the right through Aciberos? :)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
@JillGat, the route you took is the old route. After researching on many recent wikiloc tracks, you are right, no one goes this way anymore. The way through Aciberos used to stay on the highway, for a much longer way to Lubian. However, that is now changed and goes on trails just like the one you did. It appears that the route has been changed several times over the past few years, but the real "new route" is now through Aciberos.
However, the walk you did is indeed beautiful and the one we took in the past. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The route of the Camino goes through Aciberos. It was diverted across the motorway, past some concrete silos and across to Lubian along another path because of the AVE works. It's been restored to its original route through Aciberos for about 3 years now. That said, there isn't much to chose between the two routes and Aciberos is a one-donkey town without even a bar.

Walked this through the snow ( not yet deep) on Easter Sunday which made it an even more beautiful walk. Most people stuck to the road but a couple of us took the trail off to the left before the flyovers. Deer footprints and what I am pretty sure were wolf prints in the snow. A very memorable day for me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Jill, for posting as you go along. Yesterday you mentioned that the locals in Requejo told you to not follow the river route due to flooding and impassable. Which of the two routes discussed here is the one that gets flooded?

Thanks Jill, for posting as you go along. Yesterday you mentioned that the locals in Requejo told you to not follow the river route due to flooding and impassable. Which of the two routes discussed here is the one that gets flooded?
Apparently none of the routes were flooded. We left Requejo on the 525 highway. Then, if you have Wise Pilgrim, you will not detour to Aciberos to the right, but instead will turn left to be on the new old new old route. Jajaja! Dont worry either way you wont get lost.

@JillGat, the route you took is the old route. After researching on many recent wikiloc tracks, you are right, no one goes this way anymore. The way through Aciberos used to stay on the highway, for a much longer way to Lubian. However, that is now changed and goes on trails just like the one you did. It appears that the route has been changed several times over the past few years, but the real "new route" is now through Aciberos.
However, the walk you did is indeed beautiful and the one we took in the past. Buen Camino!
How do you research many wikiloc tracks?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There are several large, classic Camino signs pointing to down that turn off to the right. @geraldkelly points you that way. Gronze takes you way. Every source shows that route except @wisepilgrim, who says that detour is the old route and you shouldn't turn off, that it is the "old" Camino. WisePilgrim says the new" Camino continues straight on the highway for a short bit and then turns left down a grassy pathway. So that is what we did. We are following @WisePilgim's directions and map and will be coming to Lubian soon (about 3k). It is a pretty route on trails and country roads and
I'm glad we took it. If we werent following WP's map, we never would have followed this route and would wonder the whole time if we were lost. In some places it looks like no one has walked there.

What accounts for your route @WisePilgim when everyone else directs one to the right through Aciberos? :)
We also followed Wise Pilgrim

Walked this through the snow ( not yet deep) on Easter Sunday which made it an even more beautiful walk. Most people stuck to the road but a couple of us took the trail off to the left before the flyovers. Deer footprints and what I am pretty sure were wolf prints in the snow. A very memorable day for me.
Wolves! I want to see a wolf! At one point, there was a local man was walking a ways ahead of us on the road. A couple of large canines - looked like wolves to me! - slipped down out of the forest and were walking behind him. Looked like they were stalking him and we wondered if we were going to see him devoured. Finally they caught up to him and they met eyes
Shortly after, they slipped back into the woods. I got a better look and they were Belgian Melanois, typical sheep herding dogs. Saw the man later in a small village and asked about the dogs. He said when he "goes ti town" his dogs usually follow him partway and then go back home. Darn. It would have been such a good story@

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wolves! I want to see a wolf! At one point, there was a local man was walking a ways ahead of us on the road. A couple of large canines - looked like wolves to me! - slipped down out of the forest and were walking behind him. Looked like they were stalking him and we wondered if we were going to see him devoured. Finally they caught up to him and they met eyes
Shortly after, they slipped back into the woods. I got a better look and they were Belgian Melanois, typical sheep herding dogs. Saw the man later in a small village and asked about the dogs. He said when he "goes ti town" his dogs usually follow him partway and then go back home. Darn. It would have been such a good story@
Hi Jill - The way this was - I turned left onto the (old new ) track and then noticed one set of boot tracks in the snow ( small so I thought it was a woman ahead of me) ) after a while I noticed the dear tracks and then one set of paw prints zig zagging along the trail off and on. That evening I discovered it was a French pilgrim that I had met the night before. ( As usual I was at the back of the pack ) I thanked her for leaving a trail and remarked on the animal prints. She was very definite that as she walked there were only deer tracks so I guess the wolf ( mystery canine) walked behind her and before me. I was so happy to have such a beautiful walk. The next day was pretty tough though- walking up through the rocky stream in the snow. It was impossible to keep my feet dry and the trail was quite overgrown at the top and the snow was weighing the branches down across the path. . It was dangerous to walk it alone but I didn’t know that when I set out. I guess it will be easier now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back