• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reserving rooms

Long Hiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte
My wife and I are planning to do the Camino del Norte in the summer. We were looking at some of the hotels along the way. We are planning to stay in mostly private rooms either in a hotel or albergue that has private rooms. How do most people reserve rooms? Do people just wing it as they go or do they reserve rooms far in advance? What do you recommend?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife and I are planning to do the Camino del Norte in the summer. We were looking at some of the hotels along the way. We are planning to stay in mostly private rooms either in a hotel or albergue that has private rooms. How do most people reserve rooms? Do people just wing it as they go or do they reserve rooms far in advance? What do you recommend?
I recommend booking just a day or two ahead, so that you know your pace. One place that I can recommend is Casa Rural Intxauspe in Markina, which is at the end of one of the most difficult stages on the Norte. It's a lovely spot, with loungers under shade trees in their garden. I stayed in the albergue portion, but they do have private rooms. And they have a nice dinner. And if you want to break up the first stage from Irun to San Sebastian, there is a guest house called Casa Txurdin in Pasajes. It's 25€ for a private room/shared bath and breakfast. The phone number is +34685475733, and the owner is on WhatsApp. I made a reservation by text through WhatsApp.

We reserved rooms all the way, but only did it a day in advance. There were never any problems. However, that was in May. In summer, you’ll be competing with the beach tourists, so I would suggest reserving a few days in advance. However, you probably don’t want to reserve too much in advance because then you’re locked in, and s—t happens. Also, if you use booking.com (for example) and you try to make reservations months in advance, they’ll tell you that there’s no availability, when, in fact, places don’t release rooms to the booking sites that far in advance. Another tip: the more inexpensive places, like pensions, don’t list on booking.com at all, and you can reserve them best with a phoe call or an email. These places are often listed on gronze.com or in the Wiise Pilgrim / Wisely apps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did the Norte in July, and I didn't always reserve ahead, but when I did it was usually just a day ahead. I found the most expensive town that I stayed in was Ribadesella. There is no albergue there, and many people were having trouble finding a place to stay.

We stayed at Casa Family Astur (just Google it). In Cadavedo. A really lovely B&B. Sumptuous breakfast and the host Alicia and her family are extremely helpful.
We really enjoyed our stay there. We booked a few days in advance but that was back in 2015. Things will be busier now I should think.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would not reserve too far in advance....let the camino guide you.....

We had booked our first week and filled in a week ahead on rest days when we got better feel for how much waking was best for us balanced with our time constraint.

We had booked our first week and filled in a week ahead on rest days when we got better feel for how much waking was best for us balanced with our time constraint.
That is exactly what we have done so far. We have our first week, or at least first four days booked. Then, I guess we'll see. We are staying primarily in hotels. We have used booking.com to book our rooms. Did you use something different to book rooms?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We used booking.com for most of time on Norte - but as switched over to Primitivo many hotels in my Buen Camino App were not avail except through their websites. Google translate helped draft emails and responses were prompt to reservation requests.

I did the entire Norte in July/August 2018 and used Booking.com the entire way and booked the entire trip in advance. This just fit my comfort level to know I would not have to "Scramble" at the last minute to find somewhere to stay in a foreign country with limited Spanish speaking abilities.
By doing this it also kept me on pace to complete my Camino within the amount of time I had to do so.
Many just go day by day and that is good if it fits you.

I am doing the Del norte in the beginning of Oct. Any recommendations for Albergues in the following towns: Zarautz, Deba, Markina, and Gernika? traveling solo- maria

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Please let me know which alberques you stay in during the beginning of your trip. That is if you like them. I am going in Oct. maria

Could you specify 'summer'? In July it will be a little bit easier to find a room than in August. Especially in August, be prepared for hotels to be completely booked out (probably weeks in advance) in the popular beach towns (like Zarautz, Castro Urdiales, Llanes, Ribadesella...) and be prepared for paying peak season prices.

In need of recommendations for alberques in the following towns: Zarautz, Deba, Marikina, Gernika and Lezama.... traveling single female- solo!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.