• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Returning to the "real life"

A great piece of advice is not to do anything 'important' for 1 yr after Camino (or winning the lottery, or losing a loved one). Your emotional state will inevitably cloud a true vision.

Great advice.......... I will try to follow it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If there's one piece of advice I could give it is to go with an open heart, open mind and with no expectations. Be a dry sponge or a blank slate so to speak. Lol! The Camino seems to give us what we need...challenges and blessings.

100% agree Tania. This was my 'Mantra' every day........ A promise. To keep an open mind and an open heart........in return for allowing me another day to walk. During sections that I enjoyed a little less, like the last 100 kms, (due to crowds and noise) I actively 'looked' for new experiences and lessons to be gained. Even though this section was very different. Maybe different for a good reason?

Every time I looked......I found :)

thanks Judy, and you will start a new decade as well. A very early and very happy birthday to you as well. Hope to see you at the Nov pilgrim gathering. I'm central Victoria, Oaklands area, right beside Fernwood. I wish you both Buen Camino….
We connected briefly on this forum awhile ago and had a couple of things in common. We will both celebrate significant birthdays on the Camino: your 80th and my 70th and we both live in the Victoria area. We are planning a small gathering of ten (so far) "Camino-minded" friends on August 9th for Vino and Tapas. My daughter who walked the Camino Frances two years ago and who made two successful presentations at Robinsons Outdoor Store this year will be there, as well as a friend who just completed the Portugese coastal route and two others who did a portion of the French Way and will be returning this fall. Would you be interested in joining us that evening? My email address is judyreano@shaw.ca.
Buen Camino!
Judy Reano.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
IMO, the return to normal life is another camino. A journey to meld my beautiful life in my community with the daily lessons of the camino. A modified Pilgrim's Prayer and my words to live by -

I may have travelled all the Roads,
Crossed mountains and valleys from East to West,
But if I have not discovered the freedom to be Myself,
I have arrived Nowhere.

I may have shared my possessions
With people of other languages and cultures;
Made friends with Pilgrims of a thousand paths,
But if I cannot forgive my neighbor tomorrow,
I have arrived Nowhere.

I may have had food and water every day ,
And had my injuries well tended
But if I cannot see the Divine in others,
I have arrived Nowhere.

If, from today, I do not walk the path,
Searching and living according to what I have learned,
My journey has been in vain because
I have arrived Nowhere.

I go back to walk 100 miles next year and 100 miles the next and so on until I reach Santiago again. It won't be the same at all since part of the victory of Santiago was remembering the mystery in Estella of how I could possibly walk another step much less walk another month! But it will still fill my soul with wonder that I live to see the Camino again if only in small bites.

IMO, the return to normal life is another camino. A journey to meld my beautiful life in my community with the daily lessons of the camino.

Agreed. Which is much harder I think.....than 'merely' walking another Camino.... :(

I am not so sure, Robo... We distilled life to its essence on the Camino but don't you think we have so many more ways to face difficulties with an adventurous spirit, to see others as pilgrims on a path, in our REGULAR lives?? So much more of a challenge but what an awesome chance to practice the simple lessons - treat people well, share, help each other out, be considerate. The mountains we climb may not be as well defined as the Pyrenees but no less effort is expended, I think, and no less victory when we reach the peak!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am not so sure, Robo... We distilled life to its essence on the Camino but don't you think we have so many more ways to face difficulties with an adventurous spirit, to see others as pilgrims on a path, in our REGULAR lives?? So much more of a challenge but what an awesome chance to practice the simple lessons - treat people well, share, help each other out, be considerate. The mountains we climb may not be as well defined as the Pyrenees but no less effort is expended, I think, and no less victory when we reach the peak!

We are agreeing ..... ;)

Yes, it was me! And thank you very much. I was so happy for the opportunity to share my journey with so many others. I'm sure you will have a fabulous time. There is definitely something magical about the journey. When we slow our pace down and simplify life down to basics, what's really most important in life shines through. There is an internal transformation that pilgrims seem to go through that I think only happens by enduring the walk with all its joys and challenges. You will love it!! If there's one piece of advice I could give it is to go with an open heart, open mind and with no expectations. Be a dry sponge or a blank slate so to speak. Lol! The Camino seems to give us what we need...challenges and blessings.

To get on the email list for the Victoria Chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims email Wendy Loly at wendy@santiago.ca. There will be a wine and appies night for recently returning pilgrims on October 24th, a hospitalero training course October 23 - 25 and a Camino 101, for anyone thinking about walking, on November 14th. See the web page at http://victoriacamino.ca/events/ for details and to register.

Buen Camino!! :)
Thanks Tania, we are sitting in the Toronto airport right now awaiting our next flight. We walked St. Jean to Burgos two years ago, and I agree with your advice. Having said that, it's hard to stop the mind from working overtime pre Camino! Looking forward to getting boots on the ground and "letting go". We already have the fall meeting date on the calendar. Perhaps we will see you there!

I got back from completing my first camino June 14th of 2015....
I fell in love with the camino way and the camino life. I've returned home and although I "threw" myself back into work and life here to try to normalise as quickly as possible. I can't. Yeah ok I can go about my day and see my friends... But there's something missing from my heart. I returned to my husband.... Which I hate to admit, but didn't miss as much as I thought I would. He doesn't understand the adventure (almost hippie) part of my personality. And this need to live a different life ... One away from the 9-5. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.... It's just not for me.... And being on the camino, showed me this even more so than before) I also returned and my dog, my baby got diagnosed with cancer. He's under going treatment and responding well. But it's a long process.
I actually didn't think I'd return after the camino. But "reality" sets in and made me think I had to come back. But now I'm back and trying to live here but all I want to do is go on my next adventure, to leave.... Everything.....

and by adventure I dont necessarily mean a walking journey.... Just a different path for my life. But maybe I just need to give it more time? Anyone else feel so extreme after returning to loved ones? Anyone able to share the experience or advice?

Thanks!!!

Hi KSM

Just came across your thread and I'm curious to know how things are for you now - July 2016?

Like you, and I'm sure very many others, I never really settled back into the life at home when I returned to England from the Camino. So, almost a year to the day I set out on my first Camino, I'm returning on the 19th July.

Did you return? If so, how was/is it?

Thanks

Steve

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi KSM

Just came across your thread and I'm curious to know how things are for you now - July 2016?

Like you, and I'm sure very many others, I never really settled back into the life at home when I returned to England from the Camino. So, almost a year to the day I set out on my first Camino, I'm returning on the 19th July.

Thanks

Steve
I have not returned to the Camino, however my son did just this year in May (we walked together previously). He said it was not the same for him, even left it and went to the Norte and then just did bits and pieces and walked from Santiago to Finisterre. He was disillusioned with it this year, said too many people walking when he was and seemed like more of a numbers game (how many miles people walked, finding a bed, etc) than a spiritual one. For me personally, I hike all the time where I live in Colorado, so I am blessed. However, it has left this space in my heart where I long to do some long distance hiking again. I am much more mindful of things, less judgmental as to life and try to keep my heart open to all that occurs. These are things I practiced prior to the Camino, but I am much more mindful of now. Also, while in Santiago I had a small scallop shell tattooed on my left inside wrist, this is a beautiful reminder each day of the wonderful journey I made. As they say, the way never ends! Best to you!

I have not returned to the Camino, however my son did just this year in May (we walked together previously). He said it was not the same for him, even left it and went to the Norte and then just did bits and pieces and walked from Santiago to Finisterre. He was disillusioned with it this year, said too many people walking when he was and seemed like more of a numbers game (how many miles people walked, finding a bed, etc) than a spiritual one. For me personally, I hike all the time where I live in Colorado, so I am blessed. However, it has left this space in my heart where I long to do some long distance hiking again. I am much more mindful of things, less judgmental as to life and try to keep my heart open to all that occurs. These are things I practiced prior to the Camino, but I am much more mindful of now. Also, while in Santiago I had a small scallop shell tattooed on my left inside wrist, this is a beautiful reminder each day of the wonderful journey I made. As they say, the way never ends! Best to you!
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to reply and share you're thoughts. I agree, the way never ends. The way is wherever you are, enjoying the journey.
Happy trails
Steve

Hi Steve!

I'm not sure where to start!
Firstly: I haven't been back to the camino... Yet. I don't have any set plans to go but I will do it again. I just didn't want to go too soon while I still had expectations. I think I could go at this point. Over a year later. But on the anniversary of my walk this year I felt very emotional. Longing to be experiencing it again.
Secondly: in my personal life things haven't moved as rapidly as I thought they might. I needed change and I need a simpler life. (Not that mine was ever really complicated) I still crave that ease of the Camino. I think I'm finding it. But I have learnt life isn't the Camino. The Camino becomes a part of your life. Part of the journey and the experience. I have taken so much from the Camino and only been able to put some of it into my daily life. That's why I thinks it's important for me to make the journey again. Refresh thugs. See new things. Learn new things.
Some changes I've made: I quit my job as a hairstylist and I'm following my dream to be an artist. It's challenging but rewarding. And you really appreciate the small things. I don't have much money (the artists life)... But that's ok. I'm doing what I love and following my dream, and it truly makes the "poor journey" ok with me...for now at least.
I'm also looking at moving back to England. I've lived in Canada for 12 years. And although it's an amazing place.... I'm ready to come back. To try new things.

I'd love to hear from you again, to know your thoughts. And to hear about your experiences in the Camino the second time around. Maybe even as your walking it if you have the opportunity. (Feel free to personal message me)

Thanks for asking! It was nice for me to write and even reflect on.

Hi KSM

Thanks

Steve

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
KSM, so nice to discover this stream only now, to read your story and other's input. All really interesting, valid and worthwhile. Post-camino life is a topic that is important to most of us. It's good as well, to read your response of 12 months later. You have made significant changes. Well done.

My husband and I both love Spain and all things camino. We've walked caminos and spent time there, most years since 2006. We are lucky to share this passion as we can talk about it each and every day if we wish. However, I still battle after our return to Australia, when I have to face the day-to -day and clutter of life. Jet lag is part of that, but also the longing to be back there with the breeze on my face and the hidden birdsong of the meseta.

Mentioned only in passing, in this stream, is health and exercise. On camino, we concentrate on our bodies, look after them, talk about our feet !! and feel generally physically great, even when exhausted, because we are exercising and the blood is flowing to our muscles and our brain. I never feel as 'good', physically and mentally, nor as fit and 'young' as I do along the way. This year (we are 69 and 71) on the VdlP we were often the eldest of the pilgrims we were with of an evening but age was not an issue. Mostly.

So I try to prioritise and keep up the exercise and long walks as much as possible. Never enough, but its always worth the effort. Whats not to like about endorphins and fresh air?

Good luck with your art.
Buen camino of life. Carole

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back