• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Revised Spring gear packing list (after VdlP)

Madis

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata, Mar/Apr 2024
I just finished the VdlP from Seville to Santiago in 28 days. I was travelling light. I did do 10-14km walks at home daily for about 8 months to prepare (multiple smaller walks in Winter time instead of 1 longer one). My original packing list did not fully take into account how the rain and the sun shining from your right every morning will change things. Trails become difficult after rain. You do not want to step into water on a cold morning.

I believe in hiking sticks in Spring on a flat trail now and I do think a poncho that covers the backpack is optimal to protect you compared to just a rain jacket. I am no longer a believer in waterproof socks as they lose they value quickly after some wear and tear. I would rather pack more socks in total. Sunscreen is a must. Its only really cloudy on rainy days.

I just updated my blog article on this:
https://caminopilgrim.travel.blog/2023/10/07/spring-autumn-gear-packing-list-for-camino/

Here is the overview of what I see as essential to pack when going very light and still staying comfortable:

Daily wear (2205 grams / 4.9 pounds)

Extra layers in the morning​

Backpack items (2870 grams / 6.3 pounds)

Sleep and evening stuff​

Extra stuff​

Hygene​

Electronics​

Total weight 5.1kg (11.2 pounds)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for this @Madis 🙏 I hope to be on the VdlP next April - carrying as little as possible - so I'll make a note of your suggestions! Even on the routes in southern Spain, April can be tricky. Gracias. 😎

Thank you for this @Madis 🙏 I hope to be on the VdlP next April - carrying as little as possible - so I'll make a note of your suggestions! Even on the routes in southern Spain, April can be tricky. Gracias. 😎
So the backpack itself was only 6.3 total a d you wore the rest?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just finished the VdlP from Seville to Santiago in 28 days. I was travelling light. I did do 10-14km walks at home daily for about 8 months to prepare (multiple smaller walks in Winter time instead of 1 longer one). My original packing list did not fully take into account how the rain and the sun shining from your right every morning will change things. Trails become difficult after rain. You do not want to step into water on a cold morning.

I believe in hiking sticks in Spring on a flat trail now and I do think a poncho that covers the backpack is optimal to protect you compared to just a rain jacket. I am no longer a believer in waterproof socks as they lose they value quickly after some wear and tear. I would rather pack more socks in total. Sunscreen is a must. Its only really cloudy on rainy days.

I just updated my blog article on this:
https://caminopilgrim.travel.blog/2023/10/07/spring-autumn-gear-packing-list-for-camino/

Here is the overview of what I see as essential to pack when going very light and still staying comfortable:

Daily wear (2205 grams / 4.9 pounds)

Extra layers in the morning​

Backpack items (2870 grams / 6.3 pounds)

Sleep and evening stuff​

Extra stuff​

Hygene​

Electronics​

Total weight 5.1kg (11.2 pounds)

I'm impressed ! I really need to drop my backpack weight, so maybe some advice (I am planning the Portuguese Litoral in mid September)
In terms of clothes, how do you manage with just one t-shirt? and is a head light not necessary?
thanks

I'm impressed ! I really need to drop my backpack weight, so maybe some advice (I am planning the Portuguese Litoral in mid September)
In terms of clothes, how do you manage with just one t-shirt? and is a head light not necessary?
thanks
September should be very warm. Daily hiking in a T-shirt should be good. I wore the same shirt every day for hiking. Technical shirts are super easy to handwash and dry fast.

In mornings I wore my rain jacket too, but on the revised list I replaced a rain jacket with a poncho. The evening jacket is a bonus layer tl use if really cold.

Have a long sleeve for evenings. Two shirts are enough to cover all kinds of needs.

In case I wanted to wash both shirts, I just wore my jacket.

Headlight was not neccesary for me. i used my phone flashlight if hiking vefore sunrise. It is enough to provide vision. Besides I needed to use the GPS map from my phone anyways to see where the trail goes.

So the backpack itself was only 6.3 total a d you wore the rest?
Yes, in mornings I would wear the rest. As the day goes on, I would add clothes from me to backpack.

Temperature rose during the day quite a lot. Especially in the South.

Sunscreen was essential to protect my skin once I was hiking in just shorts, t-shirt and the buff neck gaiter that I wore to protect most pf my head.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.