• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comments on my packing list?

Linda79Y

Time of past OR future Camino
Feb-March 2024
Hello!
I'm new to the forum and planning my first Camino (a little bit extempore, but as I now have some time). I'm thinking of walking Camino Portuguese from Tomar to Coimbra then travel to Porto and walk from there to Santiago. I'll be starting in the end of February. I'd be very happy for comments and thoughts of my packing list, it's still evolving.

I want to use what I have, with a few upgrades. So I'm looking into what would work the best. The back pack is quite bulky and I'm thinking about buying a smaller and lighter one.

Any comments?

Attachments

• packlist febr.png
    packlist febr.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 3,867
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello!
I'm new to the forum and planning my first Camino (a little bit extempore, but as I now have some time). I'm thinking of walking Camino Portuguese from Tomar to Coimbra then travel to Porto and walk from there to Santiago. I'll be starting in the end of February. I'd be very happy for comments and thoughts of my packing list, it's still evolving.

I want to use what I have, with a few upgrades. So I'm looking into what would work the best. The back pack is quite bulky and I'm thinking about buying a smaller and lighter one.

Any comments?
Looks pretty good. You could maybe drop 1 long sleeved shirt, but add back a long sleeved sun type shirt? You may be cold and wet in February. Are you taking a coat of some kind? I had a synthetic puffer jacket for January.

First: thanks for providing a list one can actually work with!

- The combined weight of your Backpack and Sleeping bag is 3.000g. Mine are 716g together. Lots of middle ground for weight saving there...
- For me typically 1 long sleeve was sufficient
- Not sure on the bras, i know lots of ladies that wear them for more than a day, so maybe 2 are enoug, but i guess i'm in no position to advise here.
- 100g of foot balm is a lot in my opinion (i guess you can buy some in Portugal)
- same goes for 75g of toothpaste
- 153g knife is a lot, i use one thats only 38g and never felt that i needed more
- my hotel sewing kit comes in at 1g
- there are chargers significantly lighter (eg Anker 511)
- are you absolutely sure you need a head torch? i never took one with me
- 88g for an empty bottle is quite much imho
- can you get the guidebook as a digital version to save 350g?
- not a big writer myself so i'd not take a notebook, but you might see things differntly

- no S-hook?
- no poles?
- no hat?
- no socks?
(might have overlooked something)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a great list!

Sleeping bag could be halved in weight, unless you are planning on sleeping outdoors. Most Albergues will be heated and/or have extra blankets available. Failing that you have the option of layering up.
You could swap the sandals for flip-flops for evening/indoor wear?
Rain trousers are a whole separate debate - but I wouldn't carry them. Top half is the most important part to keep dry and warm if the weather is bad, and your feet will end up soaked either way if it's that bad.
Camino guide is another debate, but could be an e-version on phone instead.

And as @Anhalter mentions you appear to be sock-less for walking.

I agree with @Anhalter that your backpack and sleeping bag are quite heavy.
For example my Gregory backpack weighs 1020 gm, and my silk sleep sack plus tiny down blanket weigh 450 gm.

You definitely don't need three sports bras. The only clothing items that I take three of are socks and underwear.

I agree with most of what has been previously written, with a few additions:

I assume you have one long sleeve shirt, which you are wearing, and one you are carrying. That sounds reasonable to me, especially if one is Smartwool or another tech fabric. I suspect the weather will be brisk and wet.

Instead of trousers and pants, I used 2 sets of zip off pants, one worn, one carried.

I didn't use rain pants and have not regretted it yet.

Deodorant? Hahaha!!

Foot balm and kinesiotape? You can get those in Portugal and Spain if you need them.

Headlamps? Ugh, I hate them. Just take a flashlight.

Three bras and undies sound reasonable to me, unless you want to run the risk of "going commando." If you wash one set and it doesn't dry in time because the weather is damp, you might find yourself in a bind at the end of the next day.

I know you inadvertently overlooked mentioning socks. I use Injunji as sock liners, then Smartwool socks over them, and went blister free on my longest Caminos! I took 3 pairs of each. Your feet are your most important pieces of equipment, IMHO.

Don't forget hiking poles. You might feel like a nerd, but if you need them you will be glad to have them. They change you from a two-legged animal into a four-legged animal. I'm thinking of one spot in particular on the CP . . .

A rain jacket (can also act as a windbreaker) and a rain cover for your backpack. A baseball cap or other hat can help if you need to put up the hood on your rain jacket.

Consider taking a pair of baby scissors instead of a knife. The kind that has blunted ends so they don't go through your pack but can cut whatever you need (moleskin, duct tape). Very lightweight.

All in all, your list looks really good to me! Buen Camino!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looks good to me, except for what a few others have mentioned.
I'd lose one long sleeve and add one short sleeve shirt.
I'd take a lighter-weight sleeping bag.
I also HATE headlamps - no need to walk in the dark so why do you need it?
Instead, take a tiny flashlight you can use in the Cathedrals and museums to better see the art.
I'd only take one bra: one to wear and one to wash.
I smoosh deodorant into a tiny container.

Otherwise, looks pretty close to what I take

Hello!

Any comments?
Looks pretty good to me, i usually take 2 short-sleeved and one long-sleeved t-shirts, i only take 2 bras and I use my Buff as an eye mask but we're just talking small weight savings. Perhaps a lighter weight sleeping bag and a silk liner - i'm not sure where in the world you are but my friend and I use this Mountain Warehouse one https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/traveller-50-lightweight-summer-sleeping-bag-p13098.aspx/teal/ with a liner weights in about 800g and folds pretty small.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you all for the insights!

Socks is of course a part of my packing, they just fell out as I was changing the order of things. I was thinking of three spares and combining technical and merino.

Yes, I know the back pack is heavy. Thinking of buying a new, easily -1kg then. Found a thermal liner of 400 g, would that be ok?

The gore tex shell, fleece and layering will be enough for warmth I think? Living in the Scandinavian north I'm more used to chill weather than heat.

One or two of the bras and under wear also doubles as swim gear or for dipping in chilly water.

I'll ditch the foot balm and the knife. Add a cap and tiny scissors.

I'll see if I find some zip of pants (winter here so maybe I'll shop in Lisbon).

Do I need poles? Not been using them in Scandinavia in the fells hiking while carrying all gear and food for a week... But if there are really steep hills, I'll consider it.

Hi - backpack is 1800gms? You can get one less than 1000gms - same with sleeping bag. The Snugpak jungle bag is about 900gms and really cheap! (but if you do get cold at night - I saw the socks - then it won't be warm enough for you as is a two season bag - though would suggest a woolly hat so you can be warm each end).

That is a great list - was going to suggest you drop a few things as the easiest light way to go is to 'wear one, pack one' but then realised February! Strong possibility of both wet and cold and difficulty drying clothing!

Just a couple of things really - if I could suggest nappy pins (diaper pins) instead of ordinary safety pins? As they are stronger and they lock closed
and - a few ziplock sandwich bags to put your notebook and so on in - keep them dry, no matter what happens.

NNoooooo - don't drop a Swiss army knife - well, if it is the same as mine; scissors, tweezers, toothpick, corkscrew, two blades, two screwdrivers!

It's a good list and nice to see that you've counted all the little bits that add up. Very useful comments so far. A few thoughts:
I think two bras is enough, as unless your desperately unlucky or very fastidious you should be able to pick when you wash them.
Could you wear next days walking socks in bed?
The lightest way to carry water is in the "disposable" plastic bottles you buy water in. The half litre ones weight about 20gm, and are surprisingly robust. I used mine for over 6 weeks.
You can get combined shampoo and conditioner bars.
I like having a paper map, so took a guidebook (Brierley maps only version) but only with the pages for the stretch I was actually going to walk. I kept them in a plastic sleeve, and put each days map in the top pocket of my walking shirt.
I was surprised at how little I used my second pair of legwear - really only when washing my "main" trousers. I could have managed without them by using my rain trousers, or using my brightly coloured silk sleeping liner as a sarong while doing washing and drying.. You could consider taking a pair of footless tights, which can also be a base layer for walking if it's very cold. I just cut the feet off a pair of 60 denier tights and hemmed them.
Enjoy your camino. Tomar to Coimbra is a particularly lovely stretch.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, someone once advised that the weight of your backpack should be 10% of your own weight, aim for that

- The combined weight of your Backpack and Sleeping bag is 3.000g. Mine are 716g together. Lots of middle ground for weight saving there...
- Not sure on the bras, i know lots of ladies that wear them for more than a day, so maybe 2 are enoug, but i guess i'm in no position to advise here.
- 100g of foot balm is a lot in my opinion (i guess you can buy some in Portugal)
- 153g knife is a lot, i use one thats only 38g and never felt that i needed more
- not a big writer myself so i'd not take a notebook, but you might see things differntly

- no S-hook?
- no poles?
- no hat?
- no socks?
I'd add, better a poncho instead of rain trousers, especially when there is no rain jacket in the list

- no S-hook?
- no poles?
- no hat?
- no socks?
I agree with you about the bras, only 2 needed. I disagree with you regarding the head torch. Very handy especially if you walk in the dark. Essential in fact.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My over all pack and gear goal is 7% of my body weight. I also do not like headlamps and have a clip on flashlight that I use at home when walking my dog.

I did use a headlamp this winter when we needed to leave the albergue at 8 a.m. and it was dark. In the summer I have never needed one and don't bring it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you everyone for the input!
Now i just have a few things to buy while travelling. Here it is winter so anything summer related is not in the shops and ordering would take too long. I haven't bought any other clothes than socks and underwear for the trip. I just have one t-shirt that is not cotton. I bought a new backpack that I think will be super (luckily I've tried out a lot of backpacks in the past so I know what I'm looking for), I was able to try it out in the store with weight in it.
I'll bring some clothing for travelling that I can leave behind when I set of and then buy a set after for travelling home.
The backback will be around 5 kg so I'm pleased with that! 🤗
Tomorrow I'll leave my home town and Sunday or Monday I'll start my Camino! 😊

final packlist.png

I'll bring some clothing for travelling that I can leave behind when I set of and then buy a set after for travelling home.
That’s a good thing to do. I don’t go quite as far as that, but do fly in wearing a t-shirt socks and underwear (and other clothes, obviously) which were destined for the recycling box.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.