• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Road ID Medic Alert Bracelet

renegadepilgrim

Veteran Pilgrim and Traveler
Time of past OR future Camino
2010: Camino Frances, 2011: Santo Domingo de la Calzada (Hospitalera), 2012: Camino Portuguese from Porto, 2015: Camino Norte
I ride scooters (I have a 1980 Vespa P200 which I rode across the US in 2006) and often I ride alone. I was mentioning this to a friend a couple of weeks ago and she mentioned a great idea that I think might also be helpful on the Camino. It's called RoadID. It's mostly for runners and bikers, but I could see it being a good thing on the Camino.

The website is: http://www.roadid.com

Their prices are pretty reasonable. For about $20 plus shipping, you can an ID bracelet with custom engraving on it featuring your name, birth year, where you are from, two emergency contacts/numbers, medical information (blood type, allergies, med history), and then there is another line for whatever you want. I just got mine in the mail today and it's pretty nice. They also have an interactive option which costs more (and has a monthly fee attached to it) where you can create an online profile that emergency staff can access with a password featured on the back of the engraved plate. This is a great option if you have a more detailed history.

I know that if I had this on the Camino, my mother probably would not have worried so much about me! :) As someone who works in healthcare, this is something I would love to see our patients come into the ER with. It would eliminate some of the guesswork we have to do sometimes when you have someone who is unresponsive and don't know anything about them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
These medic alert bracelets are always a good idea. I wonder, though, how useful they are abroad. They're in English, after all. I suppose the universal recognition of the bracelet would help and a translator might be sought, but in small spots around the world where English is never spoken or recognized, their usefulness might be moot. Having said all that, if I had conditions that required a medic alert bracelet, I would definitely wear one just in the hopes that it would indeed help. So thanks for bringing this to our attention!

lynne

I thought about that too. You could do one specifically for the Camino in Spanish. For instance, instead of Sister, put Hermana or instead of Mother, put Madre. The rest of the stuff is in Medical Shorthand, which is not translatable easily. Just thought I would throw it out there. I don't have any medical issues, so if I were to become unconscious, I would want someone to know that! Also, on mine, I have Portland, OR, USA listed as where I am from, so in the event I am in another country, hopefully someone will contact either the Red Cross or my Embassy! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, you're exactly right! If I had significant health issues, I would definitely get them translated into Spanish and put on a bracelet or whatever, specifically for the Camino. It makes good sense. It saves valuable time, resources and lives.

lynne

This is a great idea. I've thought about it often and just never acted on it.

I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and if I ever were incapacitated, people could unknowingly make me VERY sick simply by wearing perfume while caring for me, or putting something like Febreze in my room.

The problem I have is that I also react to metals so finding a bracelet that doesn't give me hives could be an issue. But I'll look into this. Thanks!.

Annie, the metal doesn't sit on your skin. Check out the website and you'll see what I mean. It might work for you even with your allergies.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In case emergencies I will be covered by my mobil phone. I have my husband´s and sons´ names and telehone numbers, adress to my husband listed in the contact list of my phone. Before my husbands name the magical versatiles ICE1 + his name + his phonenumber. My sons ICE2 and ICE3 and their phone numbers. So the emergency workers can find them in my phone if they need to. I always carry my phone with me.

more info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency

The emergengy number in the European Union is 112 and even if the mobil phone is turned off you are supposed to be able to dial the emergency number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number

And I keep my European Health Insurance Card and my private Travel/Medical Insurance Card together with my passport.

I don't carry a phone with me, but when I walked the Camino earlier this year, I had my international health "yellow" card with me in my money belt. It had all my immunization information (for further travel after I left the Camino....I was in some malaria hotspots over the summer) plus basic health information listed on that card. I still have it with me. I don't like to depend on technology like a phone when I am traveling internationally, even though at home, I do have my parents and sister listed as ICE in my cell phone.

The nice thing about the medic alert bands is that they are on your wrist (or around your neck if you get the necklace!) and if you were to become unconscious, they would be easily accessible. When I am going through people's stuff at work in the ER trying to find ID or a cell phone to help us take care of them, it takes precious time that can be saved by wearing a simple medic alert band. I used to work in a Level One Trauma Center and there was nothing more frustrating than trying to identify a "John Doe" or find out information about the person. Cell phones are not always the most useful tool for Emergency workers, either. I've encountered many co-workers who can't figure out a patient's phone and then I get handed the phone to try to figure it out! :)

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
There's always somebody posting about dropping out, or taking a break because they're injured, myself included. There seems to have been a few more than usual just lately, although perhaps that's...
I've just returned from the San Salvador/Primitivo and have got Giardia from drinking untreated Water. I filled a bottle in Tineo as the Bar owner said it was good water/better than his Tap. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.