• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

rough cost estimate

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For years, I have ignored negative comments regarding speed records. But, today I feel compelled to speak up for myself and for others that might receive similar feedback. I ran/hiked The Camino de Santiago in 2011 for the Fastest Known Time (FKT). I continue to read several remarks such as “What a shame! That's tragic! or It’s a pilgrimage trail and what could she have possibly seen running it?”

My pilgrimage consisted of nine days on a trail by myself, encountering only three other pilgrims the entire way, up and down mountain ranges in snowstorms, through ice, sleet, freezing rain, and I ran/hiked every single step in solitude. This pilgrimage of mine not only tested my limits, but also allowed me to contemplate my life (past, present, and future) in complete silence, humbled by the hard days, the climate and the terrain. I saw storms, cathedrals, vineyards, and animals (wild and domestic). I saw the trail lit only by the moonlight. I saw the gently falling snow on a quiet morning. I saw each town at the moment before the rooster crowed as I was the only one hobbling down its streets in the early morning hours. I saw graffiti saying “Dónde están tus suenos? Vivelos antes de morir” (Where are your dreams. Live them before you die.)… and so I did. I saw myself humbled by all of God’s beauty in a country that mesmerized me. It was my cross to carry, my pain to endure, my choice. It was just me, the trail, and the elements. It was how I chose to journey, and it was good.

I am a working mom of three kids with a current reality of not being able to spend weeks away from home like most people that do these long trail adventures. My point is that we all have our journey that we choose. Some may walk. Some may run. Some may want the company of others. Some may want solitude. Some may want summer heat while others prefer the snows of winter. Why judge each other’s journey and the choices we make as to why we journey the way we do? We all have our own purpose, our own demands of life, and our own pace. Let’s not judge one another. Just be kind and respect the journey for the journey’s sake.

Jenny, I think you are an inspiration. You have achieved though sheer will, physical and mental toughness and faith something that only a handful of people ever could. You certainly had a spiritual journey and I am in awe of what you did. Congratulations and like PG's post above I cannot for the life of me understand what anybody would fine to criticise you over.

Wow! thanks for sharing

Jenny: My daughter is a marathon runner and has also completed a few half triathlons as well. She has motivated numerous people, including me, to train and run marathons. It is interesting to hear her description of her long training runs. Her description is similar to yours regarding the meditative state when she runs. She does a lot of thinking and contemplation. When I listen to her it sounds a lot like my internal state while walking the camino. I thank you for taking the time to explain it to us. We shouldn't judge a book by its cover...who knows what is going on inside!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This thread started back in 2010 and the suggested daily cost was €30 - €35. Today some 5 years later, the suggested daily cost of the camino is... €30 - €35 per day. Has Spain found the solution to the blight of inflation?

This is an older thread but perhaps we could revive it. I am now starting to plan for next year (finally) and wondering ...from those who travelled this year...what the average cost per day was when you were walking. ANY information is much appreciated...detail even better!

This is an older thread but perhaps we could revive it. I am now starting to plan for next year (finally) and wondering ...from those who travelled this year...what the average cost per day was when you were walking. ANY information is much appreciated...detail even better!
Hi, I walked last April / May and I spend about € 1400, that is about €37,- per day.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The cost highly depends on your lifestyle during the walk... if you sleep in single rooms in casa rurals or the better/more expensive private albergues, never cook/always go to the restaurants and buy a lot of expensive souvenirs of course you spend more than if you only sleep in the municipal albergues and mostly cook for yourself.

I walked March-May this year, about six weeks, and spent about 600-700 Euros, plus the tickets to get to St. Jean/back home from Santiago. I cooked daily and usually stayed in the cheaper albergues, but often did buy food and drinks during the day (bocadillos, sweet pastry, café, cerveza...) as well as some souvenirs, a walking stick and a pair of new sandals. Also spent money on taxis a few times when I was ill, and went by bus to Finisterre and back, so that's included as well.

I didn't exactly keep track of it, but usually I spent 15-20 Euros a day... often less, sometimes more.

So it is doable on a tight budget. Could easily have spent less even. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, but the way I did it is surely not for everyone. Wanted to post this anyway, for the ones who might think about staying at home and not doing it because of the lack of money. It's possible! But make sure you always have enough money to get back home any time in case of an emergency!

I would like to budget no more than 40Euros a day...that is with staying on the weekends in a private room to rest (long story won't go into it) and then to have a reserve of 20Euro's a day for reserve incase something comes up... Well more than the extra per day having some money in the bank roughly working out to that amount incase. I do have some health issues. I am hoping to have everything I need before I go but just incase I need different shoes or need to send some things along ahead of me...
I also plan on taking a bit more time than most...45 days if I need it...so I don't want to be spending so much that I cut myself short. I actually don't think I will even need that amount as I do plan on cooking for myself some meals each day and I am a person who is good with buying some cheese, bread and sausage or eggs nuts fruit...and making meals that way. I am pretty resourceful when it comes to cooking and eating. I am not a big drinker so wine and beer is not something I would have daily, and I do plan on camping some of the time as well as staying in some monasteries if its possible.
This really helped...thanks so much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Agree with Kanga, you will be fine with 40 euro per day. My costs on the Frances were always app. 35 euro per day. This includes app. two nights a week in a private room, and I eat out most of the time for dinner, and I also have a couple of beers and coffees each day.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Oh this is all excellent to hear. I really want to make sure I have enough to get me safely through the journey without being short and worrying about it. I wish I had the faith to do it all without worrying but for me the planning is really important.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you can get to the budget mecardos and you buy their house brands , A gaint tin fabada Asturiana , A 1 litre box of wine and a slab of chocolate all for just over 2 euros in August this year.
How did the beans work?

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back