Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.

Route from Norte to Loyola

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Past OR future Camino
Seeing if anyone has a recommended route from the Camino Norte to Loyola? I’m thinking from Deba or Zarautz, but open to your wisdom. Walking late September 2021

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Past OR future Camino
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
I haven’t done it but my two cents from looking at Google Maps: whether you walk from deba or zarautz it will take about 6 hr on highways, roadways and city streets. It’s 3 hr from Zumia but 2-3 hr between zarautz and Zumaia. So to me the question is if you’re trying to save time head south from zarautz or Zumaia. Otherwise how much do you want to see the Norte between zarautz and deba? I liked that stage, I walked the boardwalk to getaria, wandered around there, detoured to see the Andra Mari at San prundentzio

edit: but then, when I changed between caminos I took a train or bus.

Smallest_Sparrow

Past OR future Camino
I haven’t done it but my two cents from looking at Google Maps: whether you walk from deba or zarautz it will take about 6 hr on highways, roadways and city streets. It’s 3 hr from Zumia but 2-3 hr between zarautz and Zumaia. So to me the question is if you’re trying to save time head south from zarautz or Zumaia. Otherwise how much do you want to see the Norte between zarautz and deba? I liked that stage, I walked the boardwalk to getaria, wandered around there, detoured to see the Andra Mari at San prundentzio

edit: but then, when I changed between caminos I took a train or bus.
My rationale about trains or buses: when you’re trying to link separate caminos you inevitably end up on uninteresting and potentially dangerous roadways, unless there happens to be a beach or hiking trail nearby. There may or may not be pilgrim infrastructure (like bathrooms), and to me it wasted time I could spend on the Camino I was headed toward. That said, since it’s just a six hour walk I can see your interest in trying it and look forward to hearing what you thought of the walk between them.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Past OR future Camino
Excellent responses - thank you! My intent is to visit Loyola (I’m Catholic and walked the final stage of the Camino Ignacio in 2018). So the goal is to visit there and then continue on the Norte.

In 2019, I connected the Frances with the Aragones, walking from Pamplona to Lumbier on roads and hiking trails. Turns out it was my favorite two days of the entire walk (Biarritz-SJPdP-Pamplona-Jaca-Lourdes).

The longer I can stay on a Pilgrim trail, the better, so I’ll take a look at Zumia as by detour point.

Smallest_Sparrow

Past OR future Camino
Excellent responses - thank you! My intent is to visit Loyola (I’m Catholic and walked the final stage of the Camino Ignacio in 2018). So the goal is to visit there and then continue on the Norte.

In 2019, I connected the Frances with the Aragones, walking from Pamplona to Lumbier on roads and hiking trails. Turns out it was my favorite two days of the entire walk (Biarritz-SJPdP-Pamplona-Jaca-Lourdes).

The longer I can stay on a Pilgrim trail, the better, so I’ll take a look at Zumia as by detour point.
That sounds like fun please come back to say how it went.
Edit: sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were walking part of the Norte then switching to the Ignacio.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads