• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Running of the bulls

Caminobd

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Camino Francis, Saint Jean to Santiago, 2012 & Pamplona to Santiago 2014
I have heard from other folks that have walked the camino France's that the bulls are kept in the fields outside of Pamplona and that the camino crosses some of these fields on the way "into town". can someone tell me if this is true please and if so what this experience is like?

Thanks,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The encierrillo

The name "encierrillo" is given to the task to moving the bulls up to the bullpen from where they will start their morning run. This event takes place the night before each run. When the bulls are brought to Pamplona they are first put in pens just outside the city walls on the far side of the river.
The night before each run they are moved from this place up to the pen in Santo Domingo Street from where they will start the morning run to the bullring. This distance between the two pens is about one kilometer and is covered by the bulls on foot. However, in this case there are no runners allowed to lead the bulls from one pen to the other. The Drovers will do this job using their long rods. Spectators may line the route at certain points and many people avail of this opportunity to get a first look at those bulls who will do the run the following morning and who will be killed in the ring that same afternoon.

It is necessary to get a pass to watch the event. You can get it at the Cultural City Office at Descalzos street the previous days of the fiesta. Call the information phone 010 of the city council and they will tell you which day can you get them (2 per person). This name is used to describe the removal of the bulls from their pens in the Rochapea the night before the running of the bulls. The six bulls are brought up on foot to the pen in Santo Domingo in readiness for the following morning's running of the bulls. There are no runners used on this stretch between the Rochapea and Santo Domingo. The event takes place at about 11.00 at night.

The stretch is about 440 meters long. A few minutes before the bulls are let loose, a group of municipal police clear the stretch and the bull-minders take up their positions along the route. A cornet is sounded to announce that the pen in Santo Domingo is opened and in readiness. A guard on the bridge of the Rochapea, on hearing this, blows a second cornet to announce that the route is all clear and then the pens are opened and the six bulls and bell-oxen are let out with the bull-minders in close attendance behind them.

The spectacle is watched in silence in total contrast to the noisy reception the bulls will experience the following morning when they make their run from the Santo Domingo pen up to the Bullring. This event takes place late at night when it is already dark and for some people it has a certain mystìc - the majestic bulls cantering silently along under the still light of the shining moon. If you are not a real fan of the bulls the whole thing might seem a bit of a damper but for some people it has its emotion.

Thanks falcon, very informative and interesting,

Kelly

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am glad to help. There is a lot of information at the following site, but the Castellano and English versions are quite different! It takes a lot of navigation to find information, but it is worth it. During San Fermin they have daily video of the run, so you can watch it not-quite-live.

http://www.sanfermin.com/index.php/es/encierro/sf12

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back