A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Ruta de Padre Martín Sarmiento from Combarro to Santiago de Compostela

Camino Badges

gollygolly

Camino(s) past & future
2000, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Very interested if anyone who is familiar with this Camino could advise if this is a commonly or a rarely walked route, and if accommodation space at albergues is easy or difficult to find.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance given.

Cmeckley

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-SdC (2011),Porto-SdC, Variante Espiritual (2016), SJPP- Santiago (2017), Porto-SdC (2019)
I have a home in one of the towns this route passes through, so I know the area very well. In my opinion, it is far more beautiful than anything you will see on the Portugues. Surprisingly, I think very few people know about it. While I have seen the yellow arrows in my town, I have only ever seen a couple of peregrinos passing through in the last several summers. That being said, all of the towns are beach towns with a wide range of accommodations. No albergues that I am aware of ( with the exception of Vilanova de Arousa, which is a stop on the Variante Espiritual, and Padron, which is where this route connects back to the central Portugues ), but definitely affordable hostals, etc. I have a suspicion that as more people opt for the Variante Espiritual from Pontevedra (on the Portugues), more may discover this route as well. I recall seeing a Youtube video created by the local government to promote the route several years ago. Perhaps you've seen it too?

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
I agree with Cmeckley. The bad news is: it's not a well known Camino, so it's unlikely there's a lot of information about it.

The good news is: there's a website (in English) about it (and the Camino Espiritual). The site not only has information about albergues and other places to sleep, but also a guidebook (PDF) and the GPS-track. Both are free to download:

Hope this helps.

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
By the way: if you prefer the GPS-track in .gpx format, you can find the tracks on Wikiloc. Search for 'Ruta del Padre Sarmiento).

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Nate and I did a morning trip to the Isla de Arousa and saw a group walking this trail and quite a few signs for it. It seemed well marked, at least in Isla de Arousa. Not many pilgrims know about it, and I believe it was only established a couple of years ago. It definitely takes you to some of the most beautiful areas of Galicia, and like @Cmeckley I don't think there are any albergues. But there will be plenty of hotels in the towns (and vacationers in July and August, so perhaps try to walk in May, June, or September when kids are in school) and restaurants/ cafes, etc. Here's the official PDF for the route: http://www.osalnes.com/downloads/the-route-of-father-sarmiento.pdf.

I REALLY REALLY want to do this trail one day! Keep us posted if you go!
Faith

gollygolly

Camino(s) past & future
Nate and I did a morning trip to the Isla de Arousa and saw a group walking this trail and quite a few signs for it. It seemed well marked, at least in Isla de Arousa. Not many pilgrims know about it, and I believe it was only established a couple of years ago. It definitely takes you to some of the most beautiful areas of Galicia, and like @Cmeckley I don't think there are any albergues. But there will be plenty of hotels in the towns (and vacationers in July and August, so perhaps try to walk in May, June, or September when kids are in school) and restaurants/ cafes, etc. Here's the official PDF for the route: http://www.osalnes.com/downloads/the-route-of-father-sarmiento.pdf.

I REALLY REALLY want to do this trail one day! Keep us posted if you go!
Faith
Many thanks for your input, and yes, if the opportunity opens for us to lace up our boots and slip on the backpacks to walk this route, will write up and post an account of how the walk unfolds.

gollygolly

Camino(s) past & future
I agree with Cmeckley. The bad news is: it's not a well known Camino, so it's unlikely there's a lot of information about it.

The good news is: there's a website (in English) about it (and the Camino Espiritual). The site not only has information about albergues and other places to sleep, but also a guidebook (PDF) and the GPS-track. Both are free to download:

Hope this helps.
Many thanks for your response. It looks so appealing, and were personal circumstances permitting, I would be setting out without delay. Current family circumstances mean that at this time most planning is for the following 24 - 48 hours only, though I am itching for the healing that I have always felt comes on the Camino.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
p_mci Camino Portugues - Variante Espiritual 7
OLDER threads on this topic
Ruta de Padre Sarmiento

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 155 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%