• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hill from Combarro

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello,
How tough is the hill from Combarro to Armentiera? Are there any points that one could take a cab to or from to decrease the physical requirement? Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,
How tough is the hill from Combarro to Armentiera? Are there any points that one could take a cab to or from to decrease the physical requirement? Thank you.

Did not walk it myself but here on wikiloc it looks doable.

How though the climb is, depends on your condition. I walked from Porto, it was surely the harvest climb on the Potugues. It was a little bit harder than I expected beforehand based on the number of altitudemeters. Still if you take your time it must be doable for everyone. It is certainly not extreme for caminostandards.
I don't think there's is a possibility to take a taxi for part of the climb, most of is on "natural paths" (perhaps you could take a taxi to the place where rhe road ends, the part of the climb through the village is in my memory rather steep. I don't know how many taxi's there are in Combarro and how happy the drivers will be with such short rides)
I would try to walk, afterwards you will be happy to have done it

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My husband and I did it and it was a challenge, but we did it after a long day of walking. Use your treking poles! I would spend the night in Combarro or near there and stock up on water and snacks there, because there will be nothing on the way. Start fresh, for sure. It is a pretty walk, but it is a climb. Better to overestimate the difficulty than to underestimate it.

After a nightstop at Combarro 4 of us (older pilgrims) managed that climb, take breaks. It winds around a little , giving breaks between steep sections. After a lunch stop at Armenteira We carried on walking the beautiful path (of stones and water) to the next town, (away from home I can picture the route but can't recall the names) We stayed in a lovely hotel there. They left us a good packed breakfast as we were leaving early on the Sunday to walk on. Dinner there was also good.
Message me, I'm home in a few days and can look up place names)

The part I found difficult was on the Central going up the "mountain " After Ponte de Lima.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My husband and I did it and it was a challenge, but we did it after a long day of walking. Use your treking poles! I would spend the night in Combarro or near there and stock up on water and snacks there, because there will be nothing on the way. Start fresh, for sure. It is a pretty walk, but it is a climb. Better to overestimate the difficulty than to underestimate it.
That´s what my wife and i did, spent the night at Combarro and as it´s indeed a climb we only went as far as Armenteira. Stock up water and snacks is a very good advise, i remember there´s only a small stall with drinks that´it

How though the climb is, depends on your condition. I walked from Porto, it was surely the harvest climb on the Potugues. It was a little bit harder than I expected beforehand based on the number of altitudemeters. Still if you take your time it must be doable for everyone. It is certainly not extreme for caminostandards.
I don't think there's is a possibility to take a taxi for part of the climb, most of is on "natural paths" (perhaps you could take a taxi to the place where rhe road ends, the part of the climb through the village is in my memory rather steep. I don't know how many taxi's there are in Combarro and how happy the drivers will be with such short rides)
I would try to walk, afterwards you will be happy to have done it
The climb its very long yes., 😅

There is a recent discussion on this here. Its only 7 km to the summit from Combarro, so not particularly far. There are some short steep sections, perhaps over 20% slopes in places, but on average its only about six or seven percent.

I stayed in Combarro, and walked to Taberna Os Castanos near Barrantes that day. I didn't feel like walking this at the end of the day walking from Pontevedra, and wouldn't recommend that unless you were particularly fit.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That´s what my wife and i did, spent the night at Combarro and as it´s indeed a climb we only went as far as Armenteira. Stock up water and snacks is a very good advise, i remember there´s only a small stall with drinks that´it
We didn't in 2022 in the rain ☔ very long climb to Armenteira,er it's Well one drink automatic one de way.

There is a recent discussion on this here. Its only 7 km to the summit from Combarro, so not particularly far. There are some short steep sections, perhaps over 20% slopes in places, but on average its only about six or seven percent.

I stayed in Combarro, and walked to Taberna Os Castanos near Barrantes that day. I didn't feel like walking this at the end of the day walking from Pontevedra, and wouldn't recommend that unless you were particularly fit.
yep. I was not particularly fit and had walked from Pontevedra that day. It was beautiful and I was proud of myself, but my feet were on fire at the end of the day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the Spiritual Variant in spring 2019 after fracturing two ribs on the Fisherman's trail prior. I did stay in lovely Combarro overnight, but don't recall anything unusually difficult afterward that I couldn't manage even though I still carried my back pack. I wouldn't worry too much: you should be fine.
;

We walked from Pontevedra last June, early lunch at Combarro then the other 4 in our group taxied to Armenteira as they were carrying various ailments while I walked. Warm/hot mid 30's but with my handsfree umbrella went slowly but steadily up, plenty of stops in the shade to admire the views😊 After the mirador it evens out. The end of the track going down into Armenteira is quite rocky - take care here.

That's what we did and where we stayed. Recommend it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I made the mistake of doing it in early afternoon. The hill was not terribly steep, certainly no worse than others on the Primitivo or Frances, but it was.so.hot!🥵 Needed 2 Kas and a couple of beers in Armenteira to semi recover!😀

I walked from Pontevedra to Combarro in a long morning with a leisurely visit to Poio monastery and stayed there overnight.

Next day, the climb up to Armenteira was delightful with only a couple of steep sections. There's no difficult underfoot terrain. I went slowly, and stopped at the viewpoints, so four hours or so.

There are one drink automate on this route.Yes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mijn man en ik deden het en het was een uitdaging, maar we deden het na een lange dag wandelen. Gebruik je trekstokken! Ik zou de nacht doorbrengen in Combarro of daar in de buurt en daar water en snacks inslaan, want er zal niets onderweg zijn. Begin fris, zeker weten. Het is een mooie wandeling, maar het is een klim. Het is beter om de moeilijkheid te overschatten dan om het te onderschatten.
ER is één drank automaat tijdens de klim.

There are one drink automate on this route.Yes.
If you are asking about just the hill from Combarro, I don't recall any drink vending machines if that is what you are asking about. I think there was a place that had left some bottled water at the roadside with an honesty box a little up the hill from Combarro getting closer to the edge of the farmland.

If you are asking about just the hill from Combarro, I don't recall any drink vending machines if that is what you are asking about. I think there was a place that had left some bottled water at the roadside with an honesty box a little up the hill from Combarro getting closer to the edge of the farmland.
Nor do I, and believe me, I was looking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back