• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ruta Do Mar

Chris Aston

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 CdN (Gijon Ribadeo), RdM, CI.
I’m looking for some help re the Ruta do Mar. Last year, 2022, I completed the Camino del Norte from Irun to Gijon. Next year, 2024, I hope to complete the second phase to SdC. Probably mid April to Mid May ish. Rather than walk the traditional, well-trodden routes, I’m looking to walk the CdN to Ribadeo, then the RdM to Zubia / Ferrol and the Ingles to SdC.

I have a copy of the Cicerone guide for the CI and CdR, however cannot find any info on Gronze or WisePilgrim. Buen Camino have sent me a couple of links with top line information. So, I have the following questions and would value any responses, especially from those who have walked the RdM. In no particular order;

• The Cicerone guide recommends a mixture of the RdM and Cantabrico. Are there any sights, trails, hostels that are a must see on this walk? Conversely, what would you recommend I avoid?
  • What other sources could I use for my research?
  • Accommodation on the RdM looks rather expensive, particularly for a solo traveller and will test my budget. I understand that this is a result of a lack of pilgrim infrastructure. The latter point is also one of the attractions of undertaking this walk before it becomes too “mainstream”. Any suggestions for less expensive accommodation.
  • I’ve a provisional plan of stages, however would welcome any stage plans or suggestions.
Apologies for the long winded nature of this email and thanks for your help.

Buen Camino,

Chris

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey Chris!

Looks like you´re planning for a great camino.

Have you checked this out? Looks like there's loads to experience on the Ruta. https://www.calameo.com/read/0048273016b74a386f7a1

You might want to share accomodation on the Ruta, maybe I'll just decide to join you. Who knows, maybe we can find a creek to cross. :cool:

I’m looking for some help re the Ruta do Mar. Last year, 2022, I completed the Camino del Norte from Irun to Gijon. Next year, 2024, I hope to complete the second phase to SdC. Probably mid April to Mid May ish. Rather than walk the traditional, well-trodden routes, I’m looking to walk the CdN to Ribadeo, then the RdM to Zubia / Ferrol and the Ingles to SdC.

I have a copy of the Cicerone guide for the CI and CdR, however cannot find any info on Gronze or WisePilgrim. Buen Camino have sent me a couple of links with top line information. So, I have the following questions and would value any responses, especially from those who have walked the RdM. In no particular order;

• The Cicerone guide recommends a mixture of the RdM and Cantabrico. Are there any sights, trails, hostels that are a must see on this walk? Conversely, what would you recommend I avoid?
  • What other sources could I use for my research?
  • Accommodation on the RdM looks rather expensive, particularly for a solo traveller and will test my budget. I understand that this is a result of a lack of pilgrim infrastructure. The latter point is also one of the attractions of undertaking this walk before it becomes too “mainstream”. Any suggestions for less expensive accommodation.
  • I’ve a provisional plan of stages, however would welcome any stage plans or suggestions.
Apologies for the long winded nature of this email and thanks for your help.

Buen Camino,

Chris
Hi Chris,
My friend and I walked the CdM in Oct of '22 and shared expenses at the hostels to keep the costs down. I basically did all reservations through Booking.com There is one albergue on the route and it is in Viveiro which is run by Oliva Lopez Hermida. (She is also the adm of the CdM facebook group and is a wonderful resource...passionate about the CdM!) The Most Likely To Be Iconic Spots along the route include the lighthouses as Ribadeo, Roncado, Estaca, and Ortegal (the last three on alternative routes as the Cicerone book notes, but the Ortegal point is worth the alternative); the cathedrals at Mondonedo and Teixido; the Playa de Las Catedrales; and perhaps the ruins at Sargadelos. If you to go to Wikiloc and search for Camino Del Mar and Cantabrico you can find our routes and some pics. Because the route is still in the process of being better waymarked, we depended on Wikiloc throughout our walk, alternating between CdM and Cantabrico in order to stay closer to the shore. The least rewarding section was between Ortigueira and Carino which was mostly two lane busy road. However, I don't think there's much of an alternative. After Carino, we chose to go up the peninsula to Ortegal and walk along the high ridge toward Teixido. The walk was spectacularly inspiring! Once it joins with the CI in Neda, the route becomes more traditional in nature, both in infrastructure and popularity. Hope this helps and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Chris!

Looks like you´re planning for a great camino.

Have you checked this out? Looks like there's loads to experience on the Ruta. https://www.calameo.com/read/0048273016b74a386f7a1

You might want to share accomodation on the Ruta, maybe I'll just decide to join you. Who knows, maybe we can find a creek to cross. :cool:
Hi David, thanks for the link. Unfortunately my extremely limited Spanish doesn't stretch to translating this document and my limited IT skills can't discern a way to translate. The penny has just dropped who you are. More than happy to share travelling time if you are up for it. I'll message you privately.

Hi Chris,
My friend and I walked the CdM in Oct of '22 and shared expenses at the hostels to keep the costs down. I basically did all reservations through Booking.com There is one albergue on the route and it is in Viveiro which is run by Oliva Lopez Hermida. (She is also the adm of the CdM facebook group and is a wonderful resource...passionate about the CdM!) The Most Likely To Be Iconic Spots along the route include the lighthouses as Ribadeo, Roncado, Estaca, and Ortegal (the last three on alternative routes as the Cicerone book notes, but the Ortegal point is worth the alternative); the cathedrals at Mondonedo and Teixido; the Playa de Las Catedrales; and perhaps the ruins at Sargadelos. If you to go to Wikiloc and search for Camino Del Mar and Cantabrico you can find our routes and some pics. Because the route is still in the process of being better waymarked, we depended on Wikiloc throughout our walk, alternating between CdM and Cantabrico in order to stay closer to the shore. The least rewarding section was between Ortigueira and Carino which was mostly two lane busy road. However, I don't think there's much of an alternative. After Carino, we chose to go up the peninsula to Ortegal and walk along the high ridge toward Teixido. The walk was spectacularly inspiring! Once it joins with the CI in Neda, the route becomes more traditional in nature, both in infrastructure and popularity. Hope this helps and Buen Camino!
Hi Jim. Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I've made a list of the sites you mentioned. The churches were already on it but I'll detour to the light houses. I think you must have taken the Cantabrico from Viveiro to Ortigeira rather than the RdM. I'll make sure I make time for that. I use Wikiloc so will delve into that . What name are your routes under? Thanks, Chris.

I have a copy of the Cicerone guide for the CI and CdR,

Why not look at the author's own website for more information? It was updated this year and you can read the raw reports rather than the Cicerone edited one.

Then there is @Magwood who was one of the earlier travellers on the route and her blog. You may get some tips there.

The Cantabrico only goes so far .....

....then you are onto a less travelled, less signposted part which intersects with the Camino a San Andres de Teixido.

Personally I found the San Andres to be the best part with the stunning cliffs; the remoteness (you see signs for wolves); the spectacular seascape; and a sense of peace.

After that you are onto the Ingles which is tame by comparison.

PS If you struggle with the language, then open a webpage in Google then right click for a translation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jim. Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I've made a list of the sites you mentioned. The churches were already on it but I'll detour to the light houses. I think you must have taken the Cantabrico from Viveiro to Ortigeira rather than the RdM. I'll make sure I make time for that. I use Wikiloc so will delve into that . What name are your routes under? Thanks, Chris.

Hi Chris,
Look for jjimknol49. After you’ve checked it out you may have some questions.
Let me know if I can help in any way.

Why not look at the author's own website for more information? It was updated this year and you can read the raw reports rather than the Cicerone edited one.

Then there is @Magwood who was one of the earlier travellers on the route and her blog. You may get some tips there.

The Cantabrico only goes so far .....

....then you are onto a less travelled, less signposted part which intersects with the Camino a San Andres de Teixido.

Personally I found the San Andres to be the best part with the stunning cliffs; the remoteness (you see signs for wolves); the spectacular seascape; and a sense of peace.

After that you are onto the Ingles which is tame by comparison.

PS If you struggle with the language, then open a webpage in Google then right click for a translation.
Thanks so much for this information, especially the Dave Whitson link. In fact, thanks to all who have supplied info and helped. The planning continues.
Chris.

I walked in 2022 and Oliva’s hostel was an awesome base for a few days (very close to train station). Highly recommend!
Olivita Hostel

I tented a few nights because there were no budget accommodations. (Or any accommodation options 😆)

I made a created a YouTube Video during my hike in July 2022. I always film where I am sleeping at the end of each stage.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked in 2022 and Oliva’s hostel was an awesome base for a few days (very close to train station). Highly recommend!
Olivita Hostel

I tented a few nights because there were no budget accommodations. (Or any accommodation options 😆)

I made a created a YouTube Video during my hike in July 2022. I always film where I am sleeping at the end of each stage.
Thanks Sara, plenty of food for thought watching your video. I also watched your VdlP video after I'd walked that Camino. Good memories.

Hi Chris,
Look for jjimknol49. After you’ve checked it out you may have some questions.
Let me know if I can help in any way.
Hi Jim, I've virtually got the walk planned and booked. Olivia in Viveiro has been very helpful. I have Wikiloks Premium but get no results found when I place jjimknol49 in the search filter. Am I putting the right code in?
Thanks, Chris

Hi Jim, I've virtually got the walk planned and booked. Olivia in Viveiro has been very helpful. I have Wikiloks Premium but get no results found when I place jjimknol49 in the search filter. Am I putting the right code in?
Thanks, Chris
Hi Chris,
The address was not quite right. My fault.my finger slipped. There’s only one “j”. To make things easier, here is the link.
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/use...um=app&utm_campaign=share&utm_source=10297961

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Setting off from Gijon on 18th April, should leave Ribadeo on the 24th. Hopefully into SdC on the 8th May.
Its my intention to upload each day's walk onto Wikiloc. Thanks for the help.
Chris.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Setting off from Gijon on 18th April, should leave Ribadeo on the 24th. Hopefully into SdC on the 8th May.
Its my intention to upload each day's walk onto Wikiloc. Thanks for the help.
Chris.
May you find blessing in the inspiration!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back