• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yes or No - Ruta do Mar

The Ghost

Time of past OR future Camino
Having received an email this morning from Ivar on new Guide books. I'm intrigued by the Ruta Do Mar. I don't really want to buy another book but I'm not finding, much recent info on the Ruta Do (or Del) Mar. My Gronze, Alltrails, and Buen Camino apps don't have any info. I looked at one thread but it seemed to jump around so I had no idea if it was talking for sure about this route.

I would like to know, how many stages are there? Are the accommodations expensive? Is it a bunch of up and down like the Del Norte? How do you stay on trail if it's not marked well?

I'm arriving at the end of September and am doing the Ingles and would have another nearly three weeks and was leaning towards the Primitivo. I just completed the Portuguese in April and the Del Norte 2 yrs ago.

I like being able to see the ocean and hadn't heard of the Ruta Do Mar before. Any info is appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try this website, which lists 12 stages.

And then what I would do is to take each one of the stages listed and plug the town names into a wikiloc GPS trail search. If you don’t know wikiloc, it’s the site with the most GPS tracks in Spain, by a huge margin. I see that for the first stage, Ribadeo to San Cosme, for instance, there are many recorded tracks.

If you are not a wikiloc user, these are tracks recorded by people who have walked the routes (usually, but not aways). Some have a lot of textual explanation, some add a lot of pictures, it just depends. Even if you don’t speak Spanish, you can use the tracks to see distances and elevation profiles, which is very helpful.

Our own @Magwood also walked this route.

And since you’ve already found the subforum for Ruta del Mar, it should be obvious that you will get a lot of info scrolling through the posts that are there, about 40 of them.

Buen camino!

Try this website, which lists 12 stages.

And then what I would do is to take each one of the stages listed and plug the town names into a wikiloc GPS trail search. If you don’t know wikiloc, it’s the site with the most GPS tracks in Spain, by a huge margin. I see that for the first stage, Ribadeo to San Cosme, for instance, there are many recorded tracks.

If you are not a wikiloc user, these are tracks recorded by people who have walked the routes (usually, but not aways). Some have a lot of textual explanation, some add a lot of pictures, it just depends. Even if you don’t speak Spanish, you can use the tracks to see distances and elevation profiles, which is very helpful.

Our own @Magwood also walked this route.

And since you’ve already found the subforum for Ruta del Mar, it should be obvious that you will get a lot of info scrolling through the posts that are there, about 40 of them.

Buen camino!
Thanks. I did see there were 40 of them and browsed them.

I also just clicked on the link for the book that Ivar sent out earlier. Had I clicked on that link first, the info about that specific book. I would have at least seen the number stages and names of towns.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Definitely. Did it in reverse last December. Beautiful coastline and remote. If you need company it's not for you. Check @Magwood 's blog for suggestions - Day 24 onwards. Accomodation is a bit patchy but you can use the FEVE rail line if you need to move forward or back to get accomodation.

Attachments

• IMG_0070 (1).JPG
    IMG_0070 (1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    863.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5
We would highly recommend the Ruta del Cantabrico which parallels, more or less, the Ruta do Mar except the Ruta del Cantabrico mostly stays right on the coast and is very well marked and stunning. The two intersect occasionally. The Ruta del Cantabrico begins at Ribedeo and ends at Ladrido. The Ruta do Mar continues on to Ferrol.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back