Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sad/happy news about Bodenaya

peregrina2000

Staff member
Well, the happy news is that Alejandro is committing to a life with his partner, about whom I heard bits and pieces during my last stay in Bodenaya. But the sad news is that the albergue is for sale. Alejandro will be leaving it to start this new stage of life. He has made the Primitivo so special for so many of us, it is hard to envision the camino primitivo without him. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating, but his fame is well-deserved, and I know he is a super special hospitalero. Big shoes for someone else to fill, that's for sure. And as the song says, Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end. So true. Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, the happy news is that Alejandro is committing to a life with his partner, about whom I heard bits and pieces during my last stay in Bodenaya. But the sad news is that the albergue is for sale. Alejandro will be leaving it to start this new stage of life. He has made the Primitivo so special for so many of us, it is hard to envision the camino primitivo without him. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating, but his fame is well-deserved, and I know he is a super special hospitalero. Big shoes for someone else to fill, that's for sure. And as the song says, Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end. So true. Buen camino, Laurie
That is, as you sad, happy and sad at the same time. On my first Camino just last year, I had the pleasure of staying with Alex and it was the best night of the Camino. I was with 3 other Americans and we were almost turned away because there was only room for 2 of us. We were overjoyed when he offered us beds in the main room. We met people that night (only our 3rd night on the Primitivo) that we saw off and on for the rest of our time on the trail (another 11 days, roughly). We all had an amazing time that night due to Alex's generous and giving manner. What a host! If you are on the Primitivo, you have to stop here! Good luck Alex, you are a sweet man.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I only met him when I stayed there in 2012 but he left a big impression on me, it was he who mostly made me determined to walk another Camino when I realised my knee was badly damaged. In 2014 he was not there when I came again his friend Antonio was taking care of the Pilgrims, he was away in Bilbao. I hope wherever he goes( Basque country could do with him and Albergue there) the best of everything to him. He is a special person.

Oooops, I wanted to start a thread myself with the (sad) news, but it seems I wasn't fast enough (I learnt the news just yesterday). A great hospitalero leaves the Primitivo. Good luck to Alex where ever he goes and whatever he starts next! And good luck to who ever takes Bodenaya! Yes, really big shoes to fill! :)

[...] Big shoes for someone else to fill, that's for sure. And as the song says, Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end. [...]
It's unfortunate indeed that a prominent Camino figure will soon not be in Bodenaya. Big shoes, when the pilgrims season is extremely short (May-October) and the average bed occupancy percentage during those 6 months is low. Alex has certainly attracted numerous pilgrims with his personalized marketing savvy (donativo, communal dinner, logistics assistance, daily pilgrim pictures, etc.) but competing with such nearby location facilities as in Salas, La Espina and Tineo during the low traffic months is extremely difficult. Some new nut to crack!;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good for Alexandro, a pity for the Camino primitivo.
We stayed in his lovely Albergue in Bodenaya in may 2013.
It really was a remarkable experience. (In spite of the rain).
I will always remember his hospitaly and friendlyness and wish Alejandro lots of luck and happiness in his new phase of life.

I have been following Albergue Bodenaya on FB -- Not sure why I friended it, but it has been great! For those of you who don't know, Alex posts pictures of the pilgrims who leave each morning. Nothing has provided better insight into the weather and walking conditions on the Primitivo!!! We will not walk it until June 2015 and I am so very sorry we may miss meeting Alex in person!

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...
We are arriving in Madrid on May 5th. I went online today to purchase train tickets to Oviedo and it doesn't show any train service. Does that mean the trains are sold out? Or maybe some other...
Hi, has anyone walked the Primitivo in mid-October? What was it like? Weather, tracks and accommodation? I plan to walk from Oviedo to Lugo only, then bus to Santiago after. Thanks for your input.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back