• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety

tikal

Hello, we are planning to walk Camino Ingles in two weeks, first time in Spain.
Are there any safety issue that we should know about it (social unrest, crimes).I been seen photos of social unrest and crimes in the A Coruna area including Ferrol.
Advise and suggestion are welcome.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

I walked the Camino Ingles in April and there were no problems at all. In fact, I don't remember there being any mention of safety related issues. As always, remain aware of your surroundings.

As to unrest in Ferrol and A Coruna...this is mostly due to the economic situation in Spain where there is reportedly a run on the banks. This should not spill over onto the Camino. Again, prudence is always the best policy. The silver lining may be the drop in the Euro...depending on one's currency, of course.

You don't mention where you will start: remember, If you want to receive the Compostela, you must start in Ferrol. Taking my time I finished in six days. The walk to Bruma is a bit steep, but doable. I stopped at the Bar Julia, where they called ahead to Antonio at the Meson de Novo in Bruma. He picked me up, took me to his well appointed meson. The next day, I continued to the albergue in Bruma...but continued on to the Meson (2 km) spent another night and pressed on to Siguerio, arriving in SDC the following day.

Buen Camino

Arn

Thank you for response. We are going to start in Ferrol. We are planning to do it in 5 days (if possible), but we have one extra day. Did you see pilgrims in April.
Is the route well marked? I got the guide from Johny Walker (is great). Is there any map of the route that Can buy?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You're welcome!

You can get a map from the tourist office in Ferrol and also a listing of the albergues. The JW guide is very accurate and full of good info.

You can go to Google Earth and get a great overview of the CI. Put in your way points and you have your own map.

Arn

tikal said:
Hello, we are planning to walk Camino Ingles in two weeks, first time in Spain.
Are there any safety issue that we should know about it (social unrest, crimes).I been seen photos of social unrest and crimes in the A Coruna area including Ferrol.
Advise and suggestion are welcome.
Hi tikal!

You'll be fine. I arrived in Santiago on the Frances last May when the Indignados movement was occupying all the main squares in Spanish cities. The plaza in front of the cathedral was full of tents and protesters but there was no hint of trouble or pilgrims being bothered. In fact it added a bit of interest. Some could even juggle. :?

That said, there has always been a high level of unemployment and drug use in Spain in recent decades, and that's unlikely to improve in the current situation. Just take the usual sensible precautions, especially in the larger towns.

The Camino Ingles is quiet, and you don't have the same flow of pilgrims walking with you as you do on the Frances. Take a mobile phone just in case of any injury etc.

Have a great first experience of a wonderful country and a Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked this route 4 times now and always felt very safe, it is also very well marked. I quite like Ferrol but there is very high unemployment and when I walked In March all the unemployed workers were preparing to march into Santiago, they had also tied all their old work clothes to the railings around the docks. But everywhere was very welcoming and generous with their tapas. I usually walk in winter months so do not usually see other pilgrims. Enjoy your camino.
Liz

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back