• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saint Francis Way

margorush

Time of past OR future Camino
future (2018)
I am wanting to do the Saint Francis Way to start with. I need to know everything since I am a beginner. I have a cpap. I could probably do without it but I really do not want others to hear my snoring. I is loud.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the Forum, margo :)

American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) has a nice FAQs about a pilgrimage on a Camino which may give you some additional help.

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

The Way of St. Francis would not actually be a good route for an inexperienced pilgrim. We walked it a couple of years ago from Florence. We are pretty experienced with many Caminos in France and Spain.
It is sadly lacking in infrastructure for pilgrims and the route markings continue to be confused and troublesome. It is a great route...but just difficult to navigate now.

I would suggest that the Via Francigena would have more infrastructure and route markings.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Way of St. Francis would not actually be a good route for an inexperienced pilgrim. We walked it a couple of years ago from Florence. We are pretty experienced with many Caminos in France and Spain.
It is sadly lacking in infrastructure for pilgrims and the route markings continue to be confused and troublesome. It is a great route...but just difficult to navigate now.

I would suggest that the Via Francigena would have more infrastructure and route markings.
I have a Camino friend who is Italian living in Italy and has basically said the same thing. Plus she states it's very expensive.

Italy is very expensive compared to Spain or even..France. My post above is, of course, just my opinion and others may find it different. It does seem to me to not be a good place for a first experience.

Agree 100% ...Not at all for beginners ( or some fairly seasoned either )

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I was thinking the same thoughts as you regarding the OP. I have walked three Caminos in Spain and recently walked the Le Puy route in France. In my recent research of the Way of Saint Francis, I still feel uneasy about tackling this route, and would probably choose the Via Francigena for the reasons you mention.

We’ve walked the Cammino of St Francis twice, and the Camino de Santiago twice. St Francis is harder, but, I would think, doable for a first timer. Get Sandy Brown’s book, The Way of St. Francis, Cicerone Press (they have it on Amazon in hard copy or Kindle) and visit his website at Caminoist.org. Sandy is very generous with advice and know both walks very well.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back