• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salvador - Credencial and walking from Oviedo to Leon

LenB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2022)
I want to walk the Norte to Oviedo, then the Salvador from Oviedo to Leon...I recognize that the typical route is from Leon to Oviedo.

I have two questions:

1. I see that there is a separate credencial for the Salvador. It is issued in Leon. But, I want to walk this route "backwards," so to speak. Can I get a Credencial for the Salvador in Oviedo?

2. If the answer to #1 is "no," will albergues on the Salvador admit me with the "standard" credencial?

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Doesn't matter which way you walk, they still let you stay. People often walk backwards especially if they are going from Santiago to Rome or Jerusalem. The albergues are setup to cater for pilgrims. Direction is irrelevant. Credencial is key.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I want to walk the Norte to Oviedo, then the Salvador from Oviedo to Leon...I recognize that the typical route is from Leon to Oviedo.

I have two questions:

1. I see that there is a separate credencial for the Salvador. It is issued in Leon. But, I want to walk this route "backwards," so to speak. Can I get a Credencial for the Salvador in Oviedo?

2. If the answer to #1 is "no," will albergues on the Salvador admit me with the "standard" credencial?

Thanks!
1. No. As with Santiago, that's the goal. In this case, it's the cathedral in Oviedo which has the second largest collection of relics in the world; only the Vatican has more. In Leon you get the credential; at the cathedral in Oviedo you receive the Salvadorana. I would urge you to bus to Leon and start from there.
2. Yes. Not an issue.

I have two questions:

Thanks!
Think of a credencial as a document that confirms you are on a pilgrimage - a journey towards a holy place.

If you use a "standard" credencial, it states you are journeying towards Santiago de Compostela. If you use the Salvador credencial it says that you are journeying towards Oviedo.

On the one hand, it doesn't make much sense to give out the Salvador credencial in Oviedo or use it when walking from Oviedo. On the other hand, one can walk from Oviedo to Santiago via Leon, so the Camino de San Salvador could be a part of a Camino de Santiago. This would support using the "Standard: credential. On the gripping hand, you can get the "standard" credencial in Santiago, and people who walk there and back (or on to Finisterre/Muxia) can continue to use them when walking from Santiago.

Hi, interesting questions. My response is based on making the pilgrimage last fall. (It also seems to evolve into a glowing review of the author of my primary resource on this camino...;) ) Buen camino, wherever you walk, and in whichever direction!

"Ender"’s guide (Jose Antonio Cuñarro) states a Salvador credencial can be ordered online from the website of city of La Robla. I'm sorry but I've been unable to load the page on my laptop so I can't send the link. Try googling 'ayto la robla venta de credenciales" and you'll see the website. However, it seems you still may have to collect it in Leon...

If you're interested, the Salvadorana is the “compostela” of the Camino San Salvador and is issued by the cathedral in Oviedo as well as the Oviedo municipal albergue. The pilgrimage is from the Pulchra Leonina (León) to the Sancta Ovetensis (Oviedo), to pay respect to the holy relics housed there. Not 100% sure whether you’d be granted one by arriving on foot from a direction other than the Camino Salvador, but I suppose you could ask when you arrive. (BTW, mine does not look at all like the image in Ender's guide, unfortunately, but I treasure it anyway.)

I did not see anyone turned away from the albergues when I walked last fall, and I think I was the only one who presented the "official" Salvador credential each of those nights. @peregrina2000 has done a terrific job editing and translating Ender's guide into English. I found it most helpful. Using it to go "backwards" might be challenging, but it's full of useful information and advice from the man who is instrumental in making this walk accessible to so many others.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back