• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santander to El Burgo Ranero

RichardDublin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camion Francais 2008,2009, 2010,
Camino Portugesa 2016
Hello all,

I arrive in Spain in Santander airport on Sunday 21st August at 3pm and I need to join up with some friends at a town called El Burgo Ranero. Could anyone advise the best way to get there? I cannot seem to find a bus or a train, I thought Sahagun might be my best chance.

Hopefully someone could advise please.

Bon Camino everyone,
Richard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all,

I arrive in Spain in Santander airport on Sunday 21st August at 3pm and I need to join up with some friends at a town called El Burgo Ranero. Could anyone advise the best way to get there? I cannot seem to find a bus or a train, I thought Sahagun might be my best chance.

Hopefully someone could advise please.

Bon Camino everyone,
Richard
Just looked on Road2rio website which gives you the alternatives.You can bus to Leon or Burgos.There is a local train which travels from Leon through El Burgo.I stayed there this year and whilst walking the meseta never saw a bus other than in the towns.The bus from Santander to Leon passes through El Ranero on the Auto Pista but dont know if it stops there.It's a 5 minute walk from the Motorway service stop to the village

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
thank you so much ,that is very helpful of you. really appreciate it.

thank you so much ,that is very helpful of you. really appreciate it.
I'm currently hospitalera at El Burgo Ranero @RichardDublin It would be odd to go past here to Sahagun and backtrack. Oviedo is very nice to stay a night. Same with León which is a much better meeting spot. The bus to/from here is only 3x a week, the train 2x daily. You don't say if you are trying to meet on the 21st, since you get in late. Many of the main line trains are fully booked in August. I suggest meeting in Burgos or León, here is very tiny and hard to get to, except by walking of course.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's way easier than the options quoted previously by other users.

If you don't bother to make an overnight stop along the route, it's as easy as to take a bus (with Alsa: www.alsa.es/en) from downtown Santander to Palencia and to take a train next day from Palencia to El Burgo Ranero (with RENFE: www.renfe.com). The morning train from Palencia to El Burgo Ranero departs at 7:46 a.m. on your travel date (it arrives at 8:42 a.m.). In order to reach downtown Santander from the airport, take one of the frequent Alsa buses making the route. I'm not fully sure but I think the airport bus leaves you outside (not inside) the bus station in Santander in which case you would need to go inside to get the bus to Palencia. From Santander to Palencia, train is another option but there are currently works on the tracks and part of the route is made by bus anyway so to take the Alsa bus makes more sense at the moment.

If you want to make all the route till El Burgo Ranero on your arrival date, you'll have to take a taxi for part of the route. Bus from downtown Santander to Palencia (you should be able to take the 16:30 one if your flight is on time), train from Palencia to Sahagún (you should be able to take the 19:49 one) and taxi from Sahagún to El Burgo Ranero (roughly 20 kms away) would, probably, be the quickest option (assuming all transport runs on time). There are other alternatives.

Train from Leon at 06:50, arrives El Burgo Ranero at 08:00 (with a change in Sahagun).

The 8:00 a.m. arrival time at El Burgo Ranero is just on weekends and public holidays. The OP is traveling on a Sunday but after the overnight stop in León, the OP would be taking the train to El Burgo Ranero on a (working) Monday so he wouldn't arrive at 8:00 a.m. but at 8.42 a.m.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back