• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago airport to santiago.

Bernard duffy

Forgive me if this question has been asked before but is it possible to walk from the airport into Santiago ? I have a 4 hour gap from landing to my hostel opening and thought i might walk instead of cab,Cheers,Bernie.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Bernard,
I think that it wouldn't be too hard to get from the airport to the Camino, since the Camino goes right around the runways, but I don't know how to do it, and it might involve going on roads where walking is prohibited. If someone on the forum doesn't know the answer, try asking in the airport when you arrive.

But the airport bus is cheaper than a cab, just a couple of euros,and it goes every half hour from the airport to the Praca Galiza.

Now that i think about it, you could take the airport bus from the airport to Lavacolla and get off there, the camino crosses the road the bus goes on. The driver would surely know where to let you off. And you could then walk the 12 or so km into Santiago. But are you sure you want to walk into Santiago before your Camino?

The camino actually takes a detour around the North end of the runway. Just walk North from the terminal building and turn left when you find the yellow arrow (San Paio). It is more than 10km.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Bernard,
I think that it wouldn't be too hard to get from the airport to the Camino, since the Camino goes right around the runways, but I don't know how to do it, and it might involve going on roads where walking is prohibited. If someone on the forum doesn't know the answer, try asking in the airport when you arrive.

But the airport bus is cheaper than a cab, just a couple of euros,and it goes every half hour from the airport to the Praca Galiza.

Now that i think about it, you could take the airport bus from the airport to Lavacolla and get off there, the camino crosses the road the bus goes on. The driver would surely know where to let you off. And you could then walk the 12 or so km into Santiago. But are you sure you want to walk into Santiago before your Camino?

Thank you for your reply,informative as always.I have done the Camino before,this time i will walk to Finn/Muxia with friends who are doing the Camino Portugese,just don't fancy kicking my heels in Santiago before hostel opens,because i know i might find a bar :)

The camino actually takes a detour around the North end of the runway. Just walk North from the terminal building and turn left when you find the yellow arrow (San Paio). It is more than 10km.

Whariwharangi, can you actually walk to the camino from the airport? When you say "just walk north from the terminal building," can you describe this a bit more? Thanks! Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Whariwharangi, can you actually walk to the camino from the airport? When you say "just walk north from the terminal building," can you describe this a bit more? Thanks! Buen camino, Laurie

Using Google Earth, the distance from the Terminal to San Paio is about 1.5km. Using street view (which unfortunately doesn't extend to the terminal) the road appears to have a shoulder wide enough to be out of the way of traffic. At the traffic circle stay as close to the runway as possible and get away from the limited access main artery (N634) that leads off to the highway.

I can see no reason for not being able to walk here.

Using Google Earth, the distance from the Terminal to San Paio is about 1.5km. Using street view (which unfortunately doesn't extend to the terminal) the road appears to have a shoulder wide enough to be out of the way of traffic. At the traffic circle stay as close to the runway as possible and get away from the limited access main artery (N634) that leads off to the highway.

I can see no reason for not being able to walk here.
Yes that will work better and save you a short return walk, walk to the junction for San Paio off the N634 (on your left) and pick up the Camino there.
https://www.google.ie/maps/@42.9086...m4!1e1!3m2!1sxICPAfGrXlaZeHm8jVcSOA!2e0?hl=en

yes, leaving the airport is the difficult part, not sure if there is any sort of pedestrian path as you come out. at the second roundabout (about kilometre from terminals) make a hard left (sign says Lavacolla) and continue walking down the road till you see a yellow arrow at a pedestrian crossing (right in Lavacolla town) on you left which will put you on the Camino (Villamaior, San Marcos, Monte de Gozo, Santiago); it will take you around 1.5-2 hours. good luck

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
just follow the road, it will be less than one mile, at the end of the runway, you will find shells indicating the way

upload_2015-1-20_12-35-34.png

Look's like i walk through a field !!

unfortunately it is probably not that easy and probably not worth it in my opinion (to try to get on the Camino at San Paio instead of Lavacolla), there are security perimtres (fences etc.) around the runways and airport itself. however, if you do want to go to San Paio and walk into Lavacolla on teh Camino, at the second roundabout take the first exit to your right, follow that road about a kilometre and you will run into the Camino, but you will be walking away from Lavacolla to walk back to Lavacolla (extra kilometres).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
haha! no, Bernard, you would have to follow the road, the red arrow/line is only for orientation purposes. It would be a 15 minute walk, once you

this is the actual Camino, you see the cyclists. If you look at the right side of hte picture, you will see the red and white rack of lights that mark up the end of the runway, you cannot miss it! Once you are in this spot, you are in the Camino, and you will find plenty of arrows and shells (and possibly pilgrims too!)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back