• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Sarria to Santiago winter Camino

Thank you for sharing your Winter Camino story with us. I enjoyed every step. And with the temperatures hit -30C in my neck of the woods, I am remembering my journey and planning my next. Congratulations! 🤔

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok, the last parcel has been stuffed in and extra suitcases bought...

We ended with a trip to the Reina Sophia to see the Picasso work Guernica and also to look at other famous artworks. I also love how many of the exhibits tell a story of Spain.

Last night we had a big dinner at the Nubel restaurant which is part of the museum complex. Lots of good food which also looks like art. The student loved the music and the vibe. Desserts were perhaps the biggest works of art.
IMG-20240111-WA0006.jpg

I was up at 2:30 to walk a student to the Airport Express. Then again at 5 am. I have 2 more going at 7 am. The rest of us will take a cab at 9:30. I will take the bus if if there is not enough room for everyone in a cab.

Phil had his dog sled trip earlier and it was -33 F or -36 C. He had 4 layers of wool.plus a layer of down.

We'll see each other tonight and spend the night in Denver before heading to Laramie tomorrow.

I don't love cities. Madrid is ok. Students did a lot here is a brief period of time. Shopping plus 2 museums for some. Eating and walking. M. walked over 10 miles in town yesterday with groups of students. We did take the Metro home from the restaurant though. First time all day anyone tried it. I think they were nervous, but with me and my Metro card, they could take on the challenge.

Getting into the museum was interesting. 2 other professors with groups ahead of me were yelled at by the ticket lady. One group was denied entrance. Fortunately I had everything right and she glanced at my paperwork. Punched in a few numbers and gave me the passes. We had to wear little green stickers which identified us as a group.

No crying today, but one student changed her flight to go home with us today. She has diarrhea which didn't resolve itself from Santiago. She's flying with imodium on board. She had intended to see the Alhambra today and go home tomorrow.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh, poor 'dare i ask rita run home or eat apples'. The fun way I discovered, using the words of the ladies I was 'teaching' to learn how to spell that word that describes terrifying distress if needing to fly...or to explain to the teacher why the child was not in school.
No need to tell about her journey, let us hope immodium worked a miracle. 😁

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The tears may be about something other than missing home, but hardly surprising. Madrid's a big place, and a bit overwhelming after being in a camino bubble. Well done Janet, for keeping your cool, and coping!
It is a little irritating to me. I am a pretty straightforward person and raised only sons who grunted periodically. I just try to be neutral although still disappointing no one liked pulpo (trying to let that go--really) and I really hate it when people are not on time.

yes. I think the difference may be to how they cook it. Grill, or fried or boiled. Maybe you've seen that guy in Melide in the window at the restaurant. He presents a full on boiled octopus as you approach, that's where I didn't like it.
That's where I first had it. Boiled rubber with Paprika! I left it.

I have since had it in other places and quite liked it.

Yes, they ate all the peppers, fries, croquettes, zamburinas, everything but the pulpo... My fault, I should have gotten a smaller racion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your posts, which have been my morning "go to". I'd be fascinated to know whether it was first time overseas for most of your students - that in itself is a huge thing to have facilitated. And would love to have your reflections on the whole experience once you are home for a while and free of the immediate responsibilities for them.

Safe homecoming.

We are in Charlotte waiting to transfer to Denver. I had thrown away my celery sticks, but forgot my peanuts, walnuts, baby bell cheese in my snack bag and the customs lady with the beagle caught up to me and wanted a full accounting of what I had. She did let me go on with my snacks with a warning.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Phil is delayed in both Fairbanks and Seattle. Hope to see him later tonight.

Our flight was pretty rough. One student threw up and got yelled at by the flight attendant. Unfortunate.

Those flight attendants need a Camino. Very uptight and crabby bunch on this flight.

Phil is delayed in both Fairbanks and Seattle. Hope to see him later tonight.

Our flight was pretty rough. One student threw up and got yelled at by the flight attendant. Unfortunate.

Those flight attendants need a Camino. Very uptight and crabby bunch on this flight.
Today was a bad weather day to be crossing the United States, and I’m sure the North Atlantic wasn’t too much fun either.

Thanks for taking us along - maybe now that you’re going to retire, you could organize caminos for frazzled flight attendants.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok, in Denver waiting for Phil. Its -14 C or 7 degrees F with much colder wind chill and blowing snow showers. We have a park and fly hotel near the airport and will dig the pickup out in the morning for the trip home. I am encouraging him to take a taxi instead of waiting on the airport shuttle out on island #4 in this dangerous cold although I think he is dressed for it coming from Alaska. M.'S family picked us up and dropped me at the hotel where I am enjoying my first gin and tonic of the journey in front of a fireplace.

Winter Camino temps got nothin' on a good Rocky Mt winter!

Ok, in Denver waiting for Phil. Its -14 C or 7 degrees F with much colder wind chill and blowing snow showers. We have a park and fly hotel near the airport and will dig the pickup out in the morning for the trip home. I am encouraging him to take a taxi instead of waiting on the airport shuttle out on island #4 in this dangerous cold although I think he is dressed for it coming from Alaska. M.'S family picked us up and dropped me at the hotel where I am enjoying my first gin and tonic of the journey in front of a fireplace.

Winter Camino temps got nothin' on a good Rocky Mt winter!
👏

One student threw up and got yelled at by the flight attendant. Unfortunate.

Oh dear, not fun. On my British Airways flight to Madrid last year from San Francisco, I had the good misfortune to be seated amongst a sassy crew of Italian teenagers, mostly 17/18 year olds. As the drinking age is 18 in the UK/EU, each teen was allowed ONE alcoholic drink. The flight attendants were very strict about asking the adult chaperones who did and did not make the age cut off.

One young woman, not of legal age, tried to finagle her way into getting a drink. When caught, she threw a snit, and was sharply reprimanded by the stern flight attendant with a no-nonsense London accent. It was pretty funny to watch.

Last edited:

€149,-
This one wasn't drinking. It was a rough flight and landing...I sympathize as I also get motion sick, but managed to sleep my way through the rough air.

BTW: We are home in Laramie where the high here today was -1 F or -18.3 C. Some slick and ice roads and we saw several accidents along the way, but we are home safely. Phil had a great time on his trip, too.

Thank you so much for your reports!
I enjoyed them very much and I hail you for your patience...
Taking a group of people can be trying ::😁:: but you have shown them a world much larger than the one they began with. What a wonderful experience for them!
Welcome Home!

This one wasn't drinking. It was a rough flight and landing...I sympathize as I also get motion sick, but managed to sleep my way through the rough air.

BTW: We are home in Laramie where the high here today was -1 F or -18.3 C. Some slick and ice roads and we saw several accidents along the way, but we are home safely. Phil had a great time on his trip, too.
Photos, Phil?

I will encourage him to pitch some on the where did you walk thread. He has some good ones, but with his remote location they didn't load to our cloud storage until he got home.
Thanks for update. You both need time to catch up. I was watching weather at the times of your return trips, glad no serious uosets. I hope you have time to breathe now!

Thanks for update. You both need time to catch up. I was watching weather at the times of your return trips, glad no serious uosets. I hope you have time to breathe now!
Sadly, no. A colleague is taking medical leave and I have to have her course for 28 grad students ready to open Tuesday as I am taking over. My last semester of teaching so it will be a bit of a push to get at least the first couple of weeks on the course posted and ready. Its a course on Advanced Nursing Leadership. I taught it a few years ago, but we have had some curricular changes so it is a little different now. I will manage.. I am the director of this program so I finished updating my original Nursing Curriculum Development course before my Camino and handed it off to a friend who adjuncts for us.

Its a busy next 2 weeks and I am also presenting at a conference in San Diego next Sunday afternoon. Phil and I will enjoy a little sun after this upcoming week in the deep freeze!

As for Phil, there's laundry to be done and his Spanish 2 class starts on Tuesday. I am proud to say he got an A in Spanish 1. All the other students could be our grandchildren and maybe the teacher, too, but he's hanging in there at 73.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sadly, no. A colleague is taking medical leave and I have to have her course for 28 grad students ready to open Tuesday as I am taking over. My last semester of teaching so it will be a bit of a push to get at least the first couple of weeks on the course posted and ready. Its a course on Advanced Nursing Leadership. I taught it a few years ago, but we have had some curricular changes so it is a little different now. I will manage.. I am the director of this program so I finished updating my original Nursing Curriculum Development course before my Camino and handed it off to a friend who adjuncts for us.

Its a busy next 2 weeks and I am also presenting at a conference in San Diego next Sunday afternoon. Phil and I will enjoy a little sun after this upcoming week in the deep freeze!

As for Phil, there's laundry to be done and his Spanish 2 class starts on Tuesday. I am proud to say he got an A in Spanish 1. All the other students could be our grandchildren and maybe the teacher, too, but he's hanging in there at 73.
@J Wilhaus, Congrats and more power to you 💪. Congrats to Phil as well, Spanish is a beautiful language to learn at any age especially for an English speaker 👊

Last edited:
J Willhaus,

Thanks for the account of your trip, I enjoyed reading it.

I hope to do the Frances from St Jean this summer and like to see peoples feedback about albergues and restaurants. I notice you seem to like the Xunta albergues, are they usually a good choice? I will be watching my budget, am hoping to avoid reservations as much as possible. The fact that they don't accept reservations makes me think I may end up using them quite often.

Thanks,
Jeff

J Willhaus,

Thanks for the account of your trip, I enjoyed reading it.

I hope to do the Frances from St Jean this summer and like to see peoples feedback about albergues and restaurants. I notice you seem to like the Xunta albergues, are they usually a good choice? I will be watching my budget, am hoping to avoid reservations as much as possible. The fact that they don't accept reservations makes me think I may end up using them quite often.

Thanks,
Jeff
Xunta albergues agreat choice budget wise once you reach O'Cebrerio in Galicia. Otherwise choose municipal, association, or parish albergues along the way. Some are donation-based so give what you would accordingly for other places you have stayed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
20240202_072336.jpg20240202_072345.jpg
20240202_093841.jpg

Finishing up some treats for today's Study Abroad wrap up session. We'll watch 6 Ways to Santiago and then have a final debrief. Using questions from the guide they use at Pilgrim House.

I am disappointed that 2 won't make today's session. It wasn't possible to get all 9 students who represent 4 different programs and levels of nursing to find a common time.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Last edited:
Small group. We watched the movie and discussed how we related or did not relate to some of the pilgrims and their experiences and issues. Interestingly, I think only person in our group got a blister. We wrapped up discussing the course structure a bit and students gave M. some ideas for next year's course.

So, J, anything to share about how they did or did not relate to the movie?
Being a nurse, I am SO interested in the effect the camino has had on your students.
Bless you for all your efforts!!!!!!

€149,-
So, J, anything to share about how they did or did not relate to the movie?
Being a nurse, I am SO interested in the effect the camino has had on your students.
Bless you for all your efforts!!!!!!
Well, none of them could relate to Tatiana, the mother of the 3 year old. One is a mother of a 7 year old and she said he does not enjoy walking st all.

I think a few of them could relate to those who had packs, too big. One said she would take poles if she was doing it again

Our Camino was much shorter of course and one wants to go back for longer. They enjoyed the two "shared meals" we had more than our restaurant meals. They remarked on the siesta which was both good and bad. Good because people were taking more time to get lunch and be with family and friends. Bad because it was inconvenient.

One said she had more self-confidence now and another said she finds herself walking more places instead of driving. Mostly they said they were more grateful now for their own spaces with private bathrooms and a big towel.

Doing it differently-- don't take so much stuff. Take a sleeping bag that was less warm even in the winter (one got sweaty in her bag designed for Wyoming winters).

Doing it the same: yes, go in the winter!

They all loved the coffee con leche and one has already bought herself an expresso machine. She is using cafe busto brand coffee which is about the closest to Spanish coffee we have in this area. Everyone else quickly made a note to run to Walmart to get both machine and coffee.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back