• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago de Compostela - Valenca, Portugal

crellerisom

Hi....

I'm to travel from Copenhagen, Denmark to the Camino Portugues in the begining of july 2011.

I've been having a lot of trouble finding a transportation form from Santiago de Compostela to Valenca, Portugal.
I'm seeking this since the route from Santiago de Compostela all the way to Porto, Portugal (where I'm headed) is too far for me. I'm looking to walk/travel aproximatly 4-5 days. Therefore I'm seeking (bus)transportation.

I'm also curious on how many days the actual route will take if I walk 6-7 hours a day.

I have been thinking of an alternative, by riding a bike. In this case I'm seeking information on the route from Santiago to Porto. How long might this take?

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Looking forward hearing from you - Christian

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Christian,

You can travel from Santiago to Valenca (and Porto for that matter) by train. Firstly Santiago to Vigo, trains very roughly one an hour. There is then an International train that leaves Vigo for Porto at 19:37 calling also at both Tui (Spain) and Valenca (just over the border in Portugal).

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html for Spanish trains
http://cp.pt/StaticFiles/CP/Imagens/PDF ... a_vigo.pdf (international train)

I'm walking Valenca to Santiago myself in April over 5 days.

With regards cycling from Porto, I've got no experience myself to pass on to you but there is a very comprehensive post on route and distances here el-camino-portugues/topic10247.html

Good luck with your planning.
Mig

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Christian,

Your doing exactly the route we did in '08! The only real difference is we flew into Lisbon (from the US) and then took the train north! We loved every minute...well nearly every :roll:

I've attached the link for the blog I did back then. I hope you enjoy it as much as we/I did! This year I'm off to the Frances, solo. Currently just getting the time pinned down and looking at tickets.

Bom Caminho, Karin

http://ksam-caminoportuguese.blogspot.com/

Thankyou all for the replies...

@ Karin, thankyou for the blog view.'

@ Miguel, thanks for the train information, it will help me greatly. And have a nice journey in april.
Correct me if i'm wrong: does the train from vigo to valenca ride only 2 times in one day (7.50 and 19.37)? And unfortunatly i can't seem to find any depatures from santiago de compostela to vigo. Maybe its because the departures isn't sceduled yet?

Seems like you all had a nice time on the camino portugues, and i'm sure i will too.

Bon Camino

Yes, just two trains a day to Valenca\Porto and two in the opposite direction.

The renfe timetable only seems to go up to 3 months in advance so I would just query for an equivalent day to the day you want to travel (Saturday example attached) and that should give you a fair idea of trains between S de C and Vigo.

Regards
Mig

Attachments

• SdeCToVigo.jpg
    SdeCToVigo.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 4,060
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Right now I see a few posters on line.... Here's a copy and paste from my experience from posting last year

Last Easter after I flew from Madrid with Ryanair to Santiago,I used http://www.monbus.es/horarios/origen.php for Santiago to Vigo. Enjoyed menu del dia on a wet mid-day before getting bus to Vigo with http://www.autna.com/ Worked like a dream. Coming in from airport the driver expressed much surprise that I was getting off at bus station instead of continuing to central Santiago.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back