• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria Start

bryans

We intend to do the last section from Sarria to Santiago.
We arrive in Santiago around midday and wonder is it best to go on to Sarria and start the first morning from there or stay in Santiago and bus to sarria in the morning and start walking?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If your arrival is at the airport, then there are buses directly to Lugo on the following schedule. From the Lugo bus station, there are buses about every hour to Sarria.

Salida
Llegada
DĂ­as de servicio
Ruta
7:10
9:00
LMMJVSD
Santiago-Lugo
9:25
11:25
LMMJV
Santiago-Lugo
11:10
13:00
LMMJVSD
Santiago-Lugo
12:55
14:35
LMMJVS
Santiago-Lugo
16:10
18:05
LMMJVSD
Santiago-Lugo
18:40
20:30
LMMJVSD
Santiago-Lugo
20:10
21:55
LMMJVD
Santiago-Lugo

http://www.sarria.es/pdf/c_lugo.pdf

http://www.sarria.es/index.php?option=c ... 32&lang=gl

Get straight to Sarria.

If you are a walking for religious reasons you can start the journey with Mass at the church just up the road/hill from the municipal albergue. Service is usually 7.00pm. They have a sello. Ask at the albergue where you are staying or walk to the church and check the notice on the front door.

Church of San Xoan, Rua Maior. Sarria.

Going into Santiago will cost you much more money, and being in Sarria will get you "on the road".

When you get to the airport you will be itching to get started. Sarria scratches the itch.

You will then make your first journey into Santiago at the end of your pilgrimage.

There are bars on the Rua Maior that serve evening meals and open for breakfast. If you need supplies there are supermarkets nearby that open till at least 20.00 and there is a very good shop which sells all things Camino not far from the municipal albergue. I bought my wooden walking stick from there and it continues to be a much loved possession. It closed in December 2010 at 21.00.

If you cannot download a map of Sarria from the internet, then get a taxi to your albergue from the bus station. It is not far to walk to the municipal but unless you can ask for directions in Spanish you could get lost.

To stay at the municpal albergue you will needs a credencial. You can get one from the church but I would get one beforehand.

Hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Directions from the bus station to the Albergue Internacional, which is almost next door to the church:

Walking directions to Calle de Maior/C-535

11 mins Calle de MatĂ­as LĂłpez/LU-546 and Calle de Maior/C-535 750 m

Estacion de Autobuses de Sarria
C/ MatĂ­as LĂłpez, S/N
27600 Sarria, Spain
982 530 125
1. Head south on Calle de MatĂ­as LĂłpez/LU-546 toward RĂşa de Calvo Sotelo 350 m
2. Slight right at Calle de la Marquesa Casa LĂłpez 120 m
3. Turn left at Rúa Marqués de Ugena/LU-633 69 m
4. Turn right at Calle de Maior/C-535 78 m
5. Turn right to stay on Calle de Maior/C-535 92 m
Calle de Maior/C-535

And the sporting goods store:
Peregrinoteca
C/ Benigno Quiroga, 16
27600 Sarria, Spain
982 530 190
peregrinoteca.com‎

Our party of 4 will arrive in Santiago on a Ryan Air flight in the morning at 10:40. We have contacted a taxi which will take us to Sarria for 90€...which is about the same as the bus trip for the 4 of us. Other taxis we contacted wanted up to 125€ but most were 115€. If you are traveling in a group or can hook up with others that might be an alternative. The taxi should be faster than the bus and we hope to get some walking in that afternoon.

There are two of us so we will most likely bus it to Sarria via Lugo and start walking the next day. We already have John Brierleys guide. Can anyone recommend a Hostal or cheap hotel in Sarria.
We have decided not to stay in Refugios ( we can see how others may not agree ).

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There are two of us so we will most likely bus it to Sarria via Lugo and start walking the next day. We already have John Brierleys guide. Can anyone recommend a Hostal or cheap hotel in Sarria.
We have decided not to stay in Refugios ( we can see how others may not agree ).

You do what is best for you.

The Confraternity of St James do a guide to Camino Francés which also includes hotels and hostals. They update it yearly. Well recommended and not expensive.

http://www.csj.org.uk. Tear out and take just the relevant pages.

Most read last week in this forum

A recent post by @Kirkie in another older thread about the descent has prompted me to make this post. In it she tells us this: "I wrote to turismo.web@navarra.es The reply I got just now - I...
I think I messed up my stages. Following Brierly now after being off stage during the busy sections. Brierly has a stage from Molinaseca to villafranca del Bierzo. And then one potentially...
Hi, I’m an 18-year-old leaving for the Camino Frances in a few days. I’m doing it solo with quite a small spanish vocabulary and those are the two things that I’m a bit nervous about. Any last...
I just got an email that the train from Bayonne to St Jean tonight is canceled. Anyone else see this?
We’re currently on the Frances. We’re walking from SJPDP. We’re looking at our projected dates for Sarria to Santiago. When we try to find lodging it all looks sold out on booking.com. What...
Hi - I am currently on the Via Podiensis and in a few weeks will be arriving in SJPP and then continuing on the Frances for a bit. I have never been to SJPP before and am wondering if it is worth...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back