• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago de Compostella

Jim

Time of past OR future Camino
2006- Camino Portuguese
2008- Camino Frances
2009- Sanabres extension of the VDLP
2010- Camino Frances
2011- Camino Potuguese
2014- Camino Frances
2017- Camino Finisterre
Hi, I'll be on the camino hopefully by July 19th. I'll be ending a tour of Madrid, Andalusia and Portugal, including Fatima. I'll be departing Lisbon by early morning train, which can take me as far as Porto or Braga. Are there any bus routes that would stop at either Lugo or Sarria from either of those cities or possibly Vigo? Plan to start my hike on morning of July 20th and be in Santiago by July 24th or 25th. Is this feasible?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know about the buses, I'm sure there is a way in that well populated area. Lugo is a fairly big town with a railway station.
As for the walking it in four days, Well, it is feasible but I think you will miss a lot of fun, going that fast. Also aiming for St James' day it will be busy at all the refuges.

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum!

First some places to look for bus schedules for your trip from Portugal to Galicia:

I have scanned several bus schedules that you can find on this page:
http://www.santiago-today.com/bus-sched ... ostela.cfm

..please remember that these schedules now are a bit old, but it will give you an idea of what routes are out there. I do not have all the routes scanned, for example I am pretty sure that there is a bus from Vigo to Lugo, and I don't have it listed.

... this leads me to link #2 and 3:

http://www.alsa.es (bus)

... one of the few (the only) bus company with a website. They present a lot of routes with time schedules, and you can even book online.

http://www.renfe.es (train)

We have had a related discussion on how to get from Santiago to Sarria (via Lugo) here that might be helpful:
viewtopic.php?t=111

I hope this helps and ... welcome to Santiago!

Ivar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
HI Barbara,
Actually, I'm planning to use 5 to 6 days to cover the 100 km section. Thought that was do-able by most accounts. If refuges are busy, have no problem paying more and staying at a pension or inn or small hotel along the way. I will try to investigate that as well and book ahead if possible.
I know that it will be busy, but since I only have off in the summer (I am still teaching during most of the year), I figured I'd go for broke and be there during the celebration of St. James' Day. At least some of the crowd who would have done this, did it last year when St. James Day fell on Sunday.
Looked into the train station in Lugo and at least at this date, can't get any booking into it from anywhere, so I need to know it's connection points. The renfe site really is of lilttle help.

Oh, sure, five or six days is no real problem. The Lugo refuge is very smart, and seems to have plenty of room. There are a lot of private pilgrim accomodations once you join the Camino Frances as well as hotels and so on. Do you already walk a fair bit? There isn't anywhere on that part of the Camino that is specially rough or steep, though it will be pretty hot weather at that time of year .
Try http://www.renfe.es/regionales/regionales_galicia.html for the train connections. This link gives you a map so you can see where to look for http://www.renfe.es/regionales/mapa_galicia.html
There are two trains a day from A Coruna, which is pretty easy to get to by a train (lots a day!) from Santiago so you could get a return air ticket to Santiago, train to Lugo and walk back.
Buon Camino!

why are you wanting to get to Sarria? If you're in Portugal, ISTM the simplest would be to get off the train at Braga or Valenca/Tuy and walk from there along the Camino Portugues - a much more interesting route than that from Sarria. From the border at Tuy is just over 100km to Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Portuguese

Peter,
I actually thought of that, but was scared off by the comments that the route is underdeveloped, so I thought there would be problems finding accommodations or reststops. Also, that it might even be problematic getting one's card stamped along the way.
I'll also be alone and thought it would be safer to be on a route that it more traveled. I am using Lonely Planet's Guide "Walking in Spain." I just ordered some additional handbooks from Confraternity of St. James.
I'm used to walking (even in Paris and Rome, I've traversed the entire city on foot without any problems).

Barbara and Ivar- thanks from your additional comments on this

Hi again Jim,

Our member Pilgrim walked from Porto in April 2005, you can read about his experience, day-by-day, here:
viewtopic.php?t=148

...I have heard that it is a bit less traveled than el camino frances, but with some planning (regarding where to sleep) I think you should be fine. In regards to safety I have not heard of any problems...

... does any el camino Portuguese veterans have any advice?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did the Sarria to Santiago section in early October 2005 and it is easily done in 5 days, although my son and I did it in 4 days.

The first 3 days were fine but the last day from Arzua to Santiago was a bit of a slog, but as we had a room in a 5 star hotel awaiting, it was worth it!!

The last section around the airport and on into Santiago was miserable walking. Very hot, nowhere to pick up water on the route and Santiago seemed like a mirage, every time you went over the top of a hill, the city seemed to move further away!!.

Anyway, after a number of ice cold G&T's one forgot the miles and enjoyed finishing. My son had done the whole 800km's and was feeling very pleased with himself, and even I at the age of 56 was pleased that my old army yomping capability had not entirley been lost.

Have fun!!

Covey
Winchester - UK

Camino Portuguese

Jim, as ever it is fascinating to read of others plans for a Camino. On a cold, grey, winter's day, here in England, it brings to mind warm balmy days 'on the road' in Spain. The Camino Portuguese is splendid. Yes it is less used but I, and the German pilgrim I walked with, always found beds for the night be it pilgrim hostels - in the one, a days walk from Santiago, we were the only two occupants - or single occupancy rooms (approx 33 euros) in hotels. The lovely Spanish people were, as ever, helpful and respectful of the pilgrim. I speak very little Spanish but people were unfailingly kind. 'Stamps' for our credencials - from the hotels, bars etc. - were no problem. Evening meals were always findable if dearer than on the 'Frances' All in all a route not to be missed, though of course the same applies to the intense pilgrim 'feeling' to be gained on the 'Frances'. Whether that feeling is as intense when one joins the 'Frances' late along with hoards of local pilgrims only doing the 'minimum' distance, I do not know. It is, I suppose, a matter of time, you can get in more walking if you spend less time travelling to a starting point on th Camino Frances. Whatever, both routes are well worth doing whichever you choose this time. I wish you luck and very small blisters! PILGRIM

Camino walk in July

Wow! Thanks for all of that information. That was way more info than I had ever hoped for. I can see that I have nice options but haven't finalized which one I'll do yet.

Ivar-- if you are in SDC around the feast of St. James, I'd like to stop by to shake your hand.
Covey-- I know just what you mean. I am also former Army, American, that is. I served 3 years active duty and 20 more in the reserves.
Pilgrim-- your stories are incredible. I promise to take the torch and post after I return (or as I go along if I can get my spouse to do some write-up's for me as I go along). I am looking into a mobile phone suitable for European use as I write this and will be calling her. She'll be returning to the US from Lisbon before I start the pilgrimage (can't make the hike due to past knee injury).
Again, thanks everyone for valuable input.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back