• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago taster / sept 08

gavin

Hello

my name is Gavin, I decided about a month ago that I was going to walk the Camino next year probably in April/May. But I'm so desperate to do it I've decided to walk the last leg this year. I'ts all a bit last minute and I feel very unprepared ( I have found this site to be incredibly helpful though especially regarding gear I need and someone posted about the John Brierley guide which I think is excellent )

Anyway there are two main scares I've got at the moment 1. my new boots are a good fit and feel great ( I'm a trainer wearer as a rule ) I wore them round the house for a few days but when I walked in them I got a blister ( i only did a couple of hours ) Do you think I should leave them at home and walk in sports sandals?

2. I feel quite scared about getting a place to sleep, should I think about pre booking hotels or would that strip the essence out of this mini pilgrimage?

Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks again

Gavin.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Hi Gavin,
I would suggest that you wear your trainers. You won't be climbing any mountains or walking on any really difficult paths so trainers will be fine.
I walked in September last year and we didn't have any problems finding beds between Sarria and Santiago. August is the crazy time when everyone is on holiday and they decide to walk the last 100kms of the camino.
Have a great walk.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Hi Gavin and welcome to the Forum :)
Regarding your blister; Sillydoll is very experienced so advice re trainers is good, but for the future when you are doing long distances you might want to use better footwear. It is possible that since your boots are a good fit the problem may be your socks. Not knowing what you were wearing it could be you need a double sock, the outside part might move but it rubs against the inner part which is stable and doesn't rub against the skin - no friction = no blister. There are other remedies such as wetting a piece of soap and rubbing it on the inside of the sock so that if there is movement the sock glides over the skin and others may suggest other solutions.
Buen Camino,

Brendan

I'd go with what Sil said. For 100kms running shoes would be fine, in fact the vast majority of the camino frances could be done in runners. I would suggest that if you are going to do the full CF next year I'd walk a different route this year. You could either walk from Ourense or do the camino Ingles. I was on the last leg of the CF last ausgust (2007) and it was awful-way to crowded.

Brendan, thanks for tips re boots, I'll definitely try them out. I think they just need breaking in properly which they will be by next year. This time I'll take running shoes and teva sandals plus soap!

Hi Omar, I thought about camino ingles first as a quieter walk is much more appealing but I was unsure if it was a well marked route, as a first timer am I in danger of getting lost? Would I be able to pick up a pilgrims passport from Ferrol?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
This is what the CSJ web site says about about obtaining a credencial if you are not a member:

Other places in Spain the local refugio, the church, the police station, the guardia civil, the ayuntamiento, the office of the local Amigos del Camino de Santiago.

I would still think twice about Sarria but it depends on your expectations and what you anticipate the camino to be. From Sarria waymarking would not be a problem-just follow everyone else

Get another pair of boots. Try 1/2 size larger than you would normally wear. I made that same mistake once before when I bought the perfect shoe size. After walking for many hours my shoes stayed the same size but my feet did not.

There was one lady who walked amongst our small group of camino friends. She had a pair of work boots 2 full sizes larger than she would normally wear. She was the only person amongst our group who never got one blister. This I could not understand.

Stay most often in the hostels and treat yourself occasionally to a hotel. Much of the perspective belongs to the experience that you allow yourself. Most introductions will happen at hostels.

Take along some blister cushions. Band-Aid makes really good ones. They tend to be quite expensive in Europe and you need them ...when you need them, so it is best to take some along (plenty). They are nearly weightless.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Gay, Iā€™m new to the forum as Iā€™m walking my first Camino, the Camino Ingles beginning the 20th of June 2024 and wondering if there are any AA meetings along that route
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and Iā€™m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
Hi, Iā€™m new to the group as Iā€™m finally hiking my first El Camino this month, El Camino Ingles, beginning June 21, 2024
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.
Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.