• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saucony Kinvara as camino shoes

Sam_Sillaman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (hopefully by 2030)
I have a condition on the back of one of my heels (a Haglund’s deformity) that keeps me from being able to wear very stiff backed shoes. I’m planning a Leon to Santiago Camino in August of next year and am trying to figure out which shoes to walk in. I have some Saucony Kinvara 14s that are very comfortable and do not bother my heel at all because of their soft, flexible back. I know they are more running/gym shoes, but would anyone with experience with these shoes say they might be sturdy enough for a 15-20 day Camino? My main worry is that they don’t have a ton of grip on the sole. However, they are very lightweight, quick drying, and comfortable. Will I regret walking in these?

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have you considered wearing hiking sandals? I have worn hiking sandals exclusively on my last 5 Caminos. If you prefer a closed toe there are quite a few brands like Keen that make closed toe hiking sandals.

Lots of people wear running shoes on the Camino. The most important thing is that they be comfortable on your feet for all-day walking. No shoe will be perfect for all conditions you might encounter. If you know that your shoe model is good for such walking, start on your Camino with a new pair. (You should test them out for 10 or 20 km beforehand, just to check that there is no defect in the shoe.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have you considered wearing hiking sandals? I have worn hiking sandals exclusively on my last 5 Caminos. If you prefer a closed toe there are quite a few brands like Keen that make closed toe hiking sandals.
I do use hiking sandals such as tevas from time to time, but they typically have a strap part that has to be pulled semi snuggly over top of the spot where my heel hurts. I usually find that the Saucony shoes are softer and more padded in that area. But realistically I’ll probably try to bring both to switch back and forth since they’re both really light. Thanks!

I am a runner. Most running shoes are good for 500km. And no more. I hear about people wearing Brooks Ghost for example, which is my preferred shoe, but I would not even consider it for a longer Camino. The lugs and materials would simply break down too soon. But Leon to Santiago is only about 200k, so it may be all right.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Kinvara (which are my daily shoes) are great as at home shoes. As ejg1980 states above these are not good for hiking trails: no lugs and the soles wear quickly. Saucony has hiking models with 4-5 mm lugs. The Peregrine model has a rock plate, and is very sturdy. The women’s is narrow and I now buy the men’s version. They are stiffer than the Kinvara and you may want to check if these will work for you. Buen Camino!

I have used the Kinvara as running shoe and loved them but they wear out very quickly. If you can afford it, try training in them for 10 to 15 days to see how they wear.

Agreed re: the Kinvaras not being ideal. They have almost no grip on the sole (as you know) and, while the Frances is not super technical, some of the section you're walking could use a little bit more grippiness in the sole (I'm thinking in particular of the descent from O Cebreiro). I also wear Kinvaras for running and the sock fit is soooo comfy. But I'd go into your running shop and see which Sauconys might have more grip. As someone else mentioned, the Peregrines are great in the sole, but MUCH narrower than the Kinvaras, if that's what you're used to.

That being said, you CAN walk the whole Frances in bare feet/Tevas/old running shoes and you'll still make it, so don't overthink it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven't tried these shoes but I have walked all or most of the route you are planning 4 times. I offer the following with the hope it may be helpful in your decision making.

Most of the Leon - SDC segment of the CF is on agricultural roads, some are paved, but most are gravel surfaces. Running shoes like those you are considering should do fine on these surfaces. There are several sections of relatively flat dirt tracks that can be muddy when wet, but again, runners should work . I have found that sole cushioning can become a consideration on gravel surfaces when rocks are bigger than 2-3 cm in size. The tech specs for the shoes you are considering shown on the REI website (https://www.rei.com/product/216764/saucony-kinvara-14-road-running-shoes-womens) indicate they have "moderate cushioning" (whatever that means). The heel stack is 31mm and the toe stack is 27 mm, which is reasonably thick cushioning. I have had no problems on rocky paths with Altra Olympus 5 which 33mm of cushioning, but the materials may be different.

In a few places, comprising probably less than 5% of the distance you will walk, are more challenging. The first is the last section of the descent from Crux de Ferro to Acebo, which is very steep and rocky. If your shoes lack traction here, especially if the rocks are wet, you will have problems. Hiking poles are very useful in sections like this but traction is probably the most important consideration on this type of trail. You can by-pass the worst parts of the this ~ 4-5 kms by taking the road, but that has its own dangers and requires watching carefully for vehicular traffic.
The next possible problematic section is the climb to O'Cebrerio where a rough, rocky climb can be complicated by mud and horse manure. Again traction is the issue if the trail is wet. The horse manure is a problem regardless of the weather, but it is easier to avoid if you're paying attention.
There is also a moderately steep dirt path uphill section leaving Sarria but that can be slippery if it's wet.
To my memory those are the only sections where running shoes built for paved hard surfaces might be a problem. In these sections the lack of traction could be dangerous, so if you go with these shoes you will need to be sure of foot placement in wet conditions. As mentioned above, hiking poles will help.
Hope this helps.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I have a condition on the back of one of my heels (a Haglund’s deformity) that keeps me from being able to wear very stiff backed shoes. I’m planning a Leon to Santiago Camino in August of next year and am trying to figure out which shoes to walk in. I have some Saucony Kinvara 14s that are very comfortable and do not bother my heel at all because of their soft, flexible back. I know they are more running/gym shoes, but would anyone with experience with these shoes say they might be sturdy enough for a 15-20 day Camino? My main worry is that they don’t have a ton of grip on the sole. However, they are very lightweight, quick drying, and comfortable. Will I regret walking in these?

Thanks!
I walked 500 miles in Sauconys (with 2 changes of Superfeet insoles) and Injiji toe socks under smart wool socks. No blisters, no heel issues. Very happy feet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have issues with pronation so I have used Saucony's for 3 of my 4 caminos and they work great. I have always used the Guide model and have progressed from 6's to 14's over the years. I also used Super Feet oranges for extra arch support and cushioning, and Injinji toe socks with Wrightsocks, and this combo has not done me wrong.

Thanks!
I wore running shoes on my first two Caminos and they were great. The most important part is that they are comfortable for your feet.

I agree with the comments from those who wear Saucony Kinvara. They're my favourite marathon/half marathon shoe but I wouldn't recommend them for a Camino.

I wore Saucony Peregrine on my last Camino. I was a little disappointed with the grip - not as good as my Salomon Trailsters. The Trailsters have a relatively soft back and a wide fit, so they might suit.

Good luck with your deliberations and shoe trials. The generosity and variety of opinions here can be quite overwhelming 😀

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.