• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scrubba

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For those who have used Scrubba to wash clothes, would you recommend it?
Hiya, pretty much all sinks in Albergues that are provided for hand-washing have a built in washboard.
Alternatively, washing machines are available in lots of albergues. These, on the face of it, seem an expensive option at €3/€4 a wash.
Fear not! I've never had a problem finding 3 or 4 other pilgrims eager to share the washer (and the cost).
There is also the added bonus of making new friends ( as an ice-breaker, watching 3 strangers' underwear dancing with your own is right up there!🤣)
Buen Camino/Bom Caminho

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here's a post describing my method for washing clothes in a dry bag.
I use the same washing method whether I'm in an albergue or a room with a private bath.

Here's my method:

I use a ultralight 12 liter Osprey dry bag (weighs 1.2 oz/34 gm) as my portable washing machine.

I put my clothes in it as I'm getting into the shower with water from the shower as it's warming up. Then I add half of a laundry detergent sheet (some brands are Breezeo and Tru Earth)
Then I seal it up and give it a few shakes. I set it aside for everything to soak while I shower and dress.
Then I shake it a bit more to agitate the clothes in the bag before dumping it out in the laundry sink and rinsing. If I'm in a private room with my own bathroom I use the tub or shower. The detergent sheets don't make a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean and it's easy to rinse out.

It's a good idea to rinse out your socks before putting them in the bag as they can be really dirty.

After wringing the clothes out as best I can I wrap them in my towel and twist it to get out more water before hanging them to dry.

Because of the long soaking time method gets my clothes cleaner with less effort than when I used just the laundry sinks or tubs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola!
I brought it with me on my first Camino and then sent it home a few days later! Just use a sink or shower. No muss, no fuss…and no extra, unnecessary weight!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was thinking about camino-clothes-washing strategies the other day (as you do 😏) and wondered about getting into the shower wearing your dirty clothes, get them soaking wet and all soaped up (I plan to use my body soap for clothes as well), rub the soap in/scrub with your hands for a minute or two, then take clothes off and leave to soak in the shower as you now wash your <naked> self. Then rinse clothes after you've rinsed yourself, wring out, and voilà, clean clothes and body! There's gotta be a catch somewhere - it seems too easy 🤔😄. Thoughts?

I was thinking about camino-clothes-washing strategies the other day (as you do 😏) and wondered about getting into the shower wearing your dirty clothes, get them soaking wet and all soaped up (I plan to use my body soap for clothes as well), rub the soap in/scrub with your hands for a minute or two, then take clothes off and leave to soak in the shower as you now wash your <naked> self. Then rinse clothes after you've rinsed yourself, wring out, and voilà, clean clothes and body! There's gotta be a catch somewhere - it seems too easy 🤔😄. Thoughts?
People do do that, but it does monopolize the shower for a longer time than you need to shower. The way that I do it putting all my clothes in a dry bag with water and detergent at the beginning of my shower gives the clothes a good long soak, which helps them to get clean with less effort on my part.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
People do do that, but it does monopolize the shower for a longer time than you need to shower. The way that I do it putting all my clothes in a dry bag with water and detergent at the beginning of my shower gives the clothes a good long soak, which helps them to get clean with less effort on my part.
Yes, I'm thinking your approach will be better - easier and less "weird". 😆

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use a 12 liter lightweight dry bag from Osprey to accomplish the same thing. The Osprey dry bag only weighs 1.2 ounces,band costs far less.

Yep! I do the same. I tried the scrubba. Nice idea but just extra weight.
Now 'if' I need such a thing, which is very rare, I just use one of my dry bags used for carrying spare clothes..

There's gotta be a catch somewhere - it seems too easy 🤔😄. Thoughts?
Aside from occupying the shower longer, it seems a lot harder to peel off wet clothes, than to remove the dry clothes before the shower and wash in the sink. Peel off, perhaps two layers on top, trousers, socks, underwear - all wet and clingy, removing them without dragging on the slimy shower floor? Not easy at all, in my mind!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Aside from occupying the shower longer, it seems a lot harder to peel off wet clothes, than to remove the dry clothes before the shower and wash in the sink. Peel off, perhaps two layers on top, trousers, socks, underwear - all wet and clingy, removing them without dragging on the slimy shower floor? Not easy at all, in my mind!
Yes, it sounded easy in principle, but you make very good points. I was only thinking of tshirt, shorts, undies (other clothes I'd wash separately) but I'm going to take @trecile's advice and use the dry bag approach.

I use a gallon zip lock. Don’t like the thought of washing undies in the same sink people spit toothpaste into.
Sinks for hand-washing clothes in Albergues are, in my experience, separate to the general bathroom facilities.
(Plus, if you stay in Albergues, you might need to suspend your 'Yuk!' reflex . 😉🙃)

I have the Scrubba and brought it on two Caminos. I don’t think it weighs much so that’s not an issue but I do think it’s kind of a hassle to use and honestly the little scrub board inside doesn’t do much. If you really want a Scrubba, they are expensive and I’d recommend buying a cheap dry bag on Amazon and using that instead. Or use nothing but water and the laundry sink because in all honesty, between two Caminos, I maybe only used my Scrubba 5-6 times.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just to add one more data point of the same. I took a brand new Scrubba Mini on the CF last year; as others have said, it was only used 3 or 4 times.

As it was the Mini version it didn't bother me, and I ended up turning it into a wet/dry bag, quite usefully carrying my soap, laundry detergent, and a wet sock or dirty undies if needed. Ironically, if I had to walk out of the house today I'd definitely carry it with me, because I don't have another dry bag like the Osprey ones mentioned above!

There's no point in me buying a new, even cheap dry-bag, as I have the Scrubba, but for its original purpose, no, it's not necessary.

between two Caminos, I maybe only used my Scrubba 5-6 times
…. Me too. It’s useful if the albergue you’re in is particularly busy or the facilities are in poor shape. Or if you’re not in an albergue. Or on a less-frequented Camino. The dry bag method is a decent alternative —both are good for giving your clothes a good soak. But the extra cost isn’t necessary. Sharing a washer every few days became my preferred method on the Frances.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have used one, bit not on the Camino. Honestly, there are enough “tubs” or “sinks” to wash your clothing in. You may have to wait for a few minutes - but that is all!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I can't believe im the only one who likes Scrubba. Im a big fan.
At the end of the day, I soak all my clothing for 30 minutes with hot water (or placed it in the sunny spot) and detergent inside the Scrubba. "Massage" the bag for a minute and rinse. Takes no effort at all, and my clothes are always clean, even muddy clothes. I carry it on all my travels overseas.
I'm an "ultralight" hiker that carry a base weight of under 3kg and Scrubba is alway in my pack. It's multifunctional.

At the end of the day, I soak all my clothing for 30 minutes with hot water (or placed it in the sunny spot) and detergent inside the Scrubba. "Massage" the bag for a minute and rinse. Takes no effort at all, and my clothes are always clean, even muddy clothes. I carry it on all my travels overseas.
I'm an "ultralight" hiker that carry a base weight of under 3kg and Scrubba is alway in my pack. It's multifunctional.
I do exactly the same thing in a lighter weight dry bag.

Which size Scrubba do you use?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back