• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

searching for hala, a small place, better world

searchingforhala

Time of past OR future Camino
2017,walking, Camino francés
2019, searching on multiple caminos in spain, with our van to find hala
Hello to every single one of you!!!

We would like to share our story with you:
" I am Anna, 26 years old, originally from Germany (Oberahr, close to Frankfurt) and I am a dancer. Miguel, my boyfriend is 34 years old, originally from spain (Monzon, close to Huesca) and a gardener (He is a graduate forestry, agricultural and horticultural technician).
We are now for 5 1/2 years together. We met in Salzburg (Austria) where I was studying contemporary dance and Miguel was working as a gardener at that time. In 2017 we walked the camino frances together.

After walking 900km to Finisterra (and after meeting so many beautiful people) we both knew that something had to change in our lifes, so we've tried a new city, new country: Berlin.

We've lived there for one year and our time has come already to an end. Eventhough life has been good to us. We directly found a beautiful flat and jobs. Miguel as a gardener in a company, me as a dancer but also as a dance teacher (mostly I teached 4 year old kids; in creative child dance). But in the end of the day we realized that its not enough, that we are not fully satisfied. There is more to try, more to experience, more to live. We miss community, our friends (that are spread all over the world) and a place that we can truly call home.

We have the dream to build up our own place. We want to create a community place, where everybody is welcome. Our dream is it to run an albergue somewhere close to one of the multiple caminos in spain. We would like to host the pilgrims, but as well connect it to the arts.
We would like to offer residencies and co-working spaces for artists, especially in the winter-season, which will be more quiet. But as well we want to invite artists to perform in the high seasons, so they have the pilgrims as audience. (This means it would need a a stage, circus tent and a space to dance/perform, exhibit...) Moreover it should be a place where people can offer workshops, dance classes, music, concerts, theater, drawing, photography, lectures, performances, festivals, movies and much more. A place where pilgrims meet friends, friends meet family and family meets artists...
It should be a place where EVERYONE feels welcome.
Projects with people with disability; kids, teenagers and adults that didn't have such a priviliged life like us and inclusion of homeless people should be a goal. The place should be close to the water; the sea or a river. It needs a piece of land to grow vegetables, potatoes, and fruit trees.

All this, is a small extract of the vision. The realization of this plan is of course way more complicated. We don't have much money but our thought in the last month was, that as a gardener and dancer, the chances to become rich are very poor. :) We'll probably have to start small; expand and develop the vision over the years.

Beginning of this year we've left Berlin and after two month of preparation time in the hometown of Miguel we've finally started our search.
so since beginning of march we've been following different kind of caminos with our van (Camino del Norte, Camino portuges, Camino de Invierno, camino de sanabres, Camino via de la plata) mainly the parts in Asturias and Galicia. On the side we've been doing some Workaway's.

At the moment we are following the Camino Primitivo."

Why am I writing you all this? :) A friend of ours told me about this great platform. And i was wondering if anyone of you has suggestions for a section on any of the caminos that would need a place like ours? Where has been a day that you would have wished for an albergue in an earlier point on the route?
maybe anyone of you saw a empty building that could fit to our quest? Maybe someone heard of a place where the hospitaleros are going in pension or are looking for people to take over the business? ... Really anything can help!!!

we would deeply appreciate to hear from you!!!! Thank you so much for reading this loooong introduction! :)

you can also follow our search on
instagram: https://www.instagram.com/searchingforhala/
facebook: https://m.facebook.com/searchingforhala/

buen camino to all of you.
love, Anna y Miguel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You have a wonderful plan! But does it have to be in Spain?

I had my eye on this in France. On the Le Puy route, between Lectoure and Marsolan. Miguel might like the garden! Small place but large plot of land. On a very quiet road, out in the countryside.

054-24 Nice place for sale on The Way to Marsolan.JPG

Good luck
Davey

You have a wonderful plan! But does it have to be in Spain?

I had my eye on this in France. On the Le Puy route, between Lectoure and Marsolan. Miguel might like the garden! Small place but large plot of land. On a very quiet road, out in the countryside.

View attachment 56311

Good luck
Davey
Thank you so much Davey. We appreciate so much your thought and help!! For now our hearts are set on the caminos in spain. But thanks a million. Abrazos, Anna y Miguel

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello to every single one of you!!!

We would like to share our story with you:
" I am Anna, 26 years old, originally from Germany (Oberahr, close to Frankfurt) and I am a dancer. Miguel, my boyfriend is 34 years old, originally from spain (Monzon, close to Huesca) and a gardener (He is a graduate forestry, agricultural and horticultural technician).
We are now for 5 1/2 years together. We met in Salzburg (Austria) where I was studying contemporary dance and Miguel was working as a gardener at that time. In 2017 we walked the camino frances together.

After walking 900km to Finisterra (and after meeting so many beautiful people) we both knew that something had to change in our lifes, so we've tried a new city, new country: Berlin.

We've lived there for one year and our time has come already to an end. Eventhough life has been good to us. We directly found a beautiful flat and jobs. Miguel as a gardener in a company, me as a dancer but also as a dance teacher (mostly I teached 4 year old kids; in creative child dance). But in the end of the day we realized that its not enough, that we are not fully satisfied. There is more to try, more to experience, more to live. We miss community, our friends (that are spread all over the world) and a place that we can truly call home.

We have the dream to build up our own place. We want to create a community place, where everybody is welcome. Our dream is it to run an albergue somewhere close to one of the multiple caminos in spain. We would like to host the pilgrims, but as well connect it to the arts.
We would like to offer residencies and co-working spaces for artists, especially in the winter-season, which will be more quiet. But as well we want to invite artists to perform in the high seasons, so they have the pilgrims as audience. (This means it would need a a stage, circus tent and a space to dance/perform, exhibit...) Moreover it should be a place where people can offer workshops, dance classes, music, concerts, theater, drawing, photography, lectures, performances, festivals, movies and much more. A place where pilgrims meet friends, friends meet family and family meets artists...
It should be a place where EVERYONE feels welcome.
Projects with people with disability; kids, teenagers and adults that didn't have such a priviliged life like us and inclusion of homeless people should be a goal. The place should be close to the water; the sea or a river. It needs a piece of land to grow vegetables, potatoes, and fruit trees.

All this, is a small extract of the vision. The realization of this plan is of course way more complicated. We don't have much money but our thought in the last month was, that as a gardener and dancer, the chances to become rich are very poor. :) We'll probably have to start small; expand and develop the vision over the years.

Beginning of this year we've left Berlin and after two month of preparation time in the hometown of Miguel we've finally started our search.
so since beginning of march we've been following different kind of caminos with our van (Camino del Norte, Camino portuges, Camino de Invierno, camino de sanabres, Camino via de la plata) mainly the parts in Asturias and Galicia. On the side we've been doing some Workaway's.

At the moment we are following the Camino Primitivo."

Why am I writing you all this? :) A friend of ours told me about this great platform. And i was wondering if anyone of you has suggestions for a section on any of the caminos that would need a place like ours? Where has been a day that you would have wished for an albergue in an earlier point on the route?
maybe anyone of you saw a empty building that could fit to our quest? Maybe someone heard of a place where the hospitaleros are going in pension or are looking for people to take over the business? ... Really anything can help!!!

we would deeply appreciate to hear from you!!!! Thank you so much for reading this loooong introduction! :)

you can also follow our search on
instagram: https://www.instagram.com/searchingforhala/
facebook: https://m.facebook.com/searchingforhala/

buen camino to all of you.
love, Anna y Miguel
Between yourselves and Daniel, how I wish I could wave a wand and let it be! Some call on the universe, some consult the oracle, some check in with the accountant and or locals. I truly wish you a dream fulfilled.

Hola Anna
This sounds like a beautiful vision and that you are both moving toward it. Your story reminds me of a woman I met on the Frances near Palas de Rei, Galicia. She is a shiatsu massage therapist from Austria, I believe, and she met her Spanish husband the last day of her camino in Finesterre! They had the dream to live on the camino and have a business so they walked the whole stretch through Galicia on the Frances and when they arrived in their little town, just KNEW it was the place. They now have two daughters they are raising and a wonderful shop and massage business. A bit different than your vision, but it happened for them. Do not lose hope. Keep moving, one foot in front of the other! All the best to you. Ultreia! elle

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sounds like a wonderful plan @searchingforhala .

As you will likely need some form of income from the Pilgrims, for a bed, meals etc to fund this dream, the businessman in me says go where the most Pilgrims are. Which of course means the Camino Frances.

Perhaps in one of the more remote parts, along the Meseta perhaps?

But I would definitely talk to members here who have actually set up Albergues and the like to get an idea of some of the challenges you might face. I understand that local businesses are not always pleased to see more competition ;)

But good luck, it sounds great.

Between yourselves and Daniel, how I wish I could wave a wand and let it be! Some call on the universe, some consult the oracle, some check in with the accountant and or locals. I truly wish you a dream fulfilled.
Kirkie, thanks for your words.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Anna
This sounds like a beautiful vision and that you are both moving toward it. Your story reminds me of a woman I met on the Frances near Palas de Rei, Galicia. She is a shiatsu massage therapist from Austria, I believe, and she met her Spanish husband the last day of her camino in Finesterre! They had the dream to live on the camino and have a business so they walked the whole stretch through Galicia on the Frances and when they arrived in their little town, just KNEW it was the place. They now have two daughters they are raising and a wonderful shop and massage business. A bit different than your vision, but it happened for them. Do not lose hope. Keep moving, one foot in front of the other! All the best to you. Ultreia! elle
Dear Elle, thanks for this inspirational story. We'll keep on searching, dreaming and reaching out.
Love to you.

Look up Casa Susi on FB or Google the albergue name. The owner recently opened an albergue and can give tips.

Also, pm @SYates on this forum. She too recently started a pilgrim’s shelter.

Both ladies are not native to Spain.

Wonderful plan.

May Santiago aid you two in this mission.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sounds like a wonderful plan @searchingforhala .

As you will likely need some form of income from the Pilgrims, for a bed, meals etc to fund this dream, the businessman in me says go where the most Pilgrims are. Which of course means the Camino Frances.

Perhaps in one of the more remote parts, along the Meseta perhaps?

But I would definitely talk to members here who have actually set up Albergues and the like to get an idea of some of the challenges you might face. I understand that local businesses are not always pleased to see more competition ;)

But good luck, it sounds great.

Dear Robo,
Thank you so much for your thoughts on our quest. I remember I really liked the Meseta when we walked the Camino francés in 2017. We'll keep an eye on that.
And certainly we would be very interested to hear and learn from members that already set up albergues!! :)
Warm greetings to you.

Look up Casa Susi on FB or Google the albergue name. The owner recently opened an albergue and can give tips.

Also, pm @SYates on this forum. She too recently started a pilgrim’s shelter.

Both ladies are not native to Spain.

Wonderful plan.

May Santiago aid you two in this mission.
Dear nyc,
thank you so much for the two wonderful contacts (we'll definetely check them!!) and your positive wishes.
The best to you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just some more thoughts as I was trying to get to sleep last night................

I'm sure you have started a Business Plan? ;)
Even a rough one.
What are the likely costs of running this place?
What will be the required income?
Where will that income come from? Donations, supporters, Pilgrims buying services.
How many Pilgrims will you need to break even?

And.........

As you know Pilgrims tend to be 'head down' walking their Camino.
By that I mean they are somewhat 'on a mission' to get to Santiago.
Many won't won't to stop to do a class or whatever.
So you'll need some good marketing to ensure that Pilgrims know about you beforehand and don't just 'come across you'.
Otherwise the reaction might be something like "Oh what a Gem. If I had known this was here I would have planned an extra day or two.........as they pass through" It takes time for word of mouth to build up.

An exciting dream. I hope it comes to fruition........

Such a beautiful vision, @searchingforhala .
May it be fulfilled!
Also contact @Rebekah Scott , who's been there and done that...and will honestly and straightly tell you about the challenges you might face. But not to be discouraged. If you are patient and persistent, when the time is right it will happen. (In fact, she has just put out a call for hospis on a new/old route...but it is remote so may not be up your alley...)
Thanks a lot VN. We'll definitely look into that!!! Warm greetings from Asturias.
Best wishes to you.

Just some more thoughts as I was trying to get to sleep last night................

I'm sure you have started a Business Plan? ;)
Even a rough one.
What are the likely costs of running this place?
What will be the required income?
Where will that income come from? Donations, supporters, Pilgrims buying services.
How many Pilgrims will you need to break even?

And.........

As you know Pilgrims tend to be 'head down' walking their Camino.
By that I mean they are somewhat 'on a mission' to get to Santiago.
Many won't won't to stop to do a class or whatever.
So you'll need some good marketing to ensure that Pilgrims know about you beforehand and don't just 'come across you'.
Otherwise the reaction might be something like "Oh what a Gem. If I had known this was here I would have planned an extra day or two.........as they pass through" It takes time for word of mouth to build up.

An exciting dream. I hope it comes to fruition........
Dear Robo,

good to hear from you again.
I want to answer to you within some thoughts of ours connected to your thoughts.

Since we don't have money, and also no bank will give us any credit (me a freelance dancer, Miguel a gardener), this place will only be possible If people will make it possible. In the moment we find our place we want to raise money with platforms like crowdfunding. Ask for foundings and financial support from different sources.
Our Vision will be only possible with the help of people.
So naturally we want that in the future everyone is able to access our place. With or without money. Maybe an exchange system or a donativo.
We don't want to get rich with our Vision. We want to live.
Me i want to offer dance classes to the kids of the area. This is one source of money.
Depending on the state of the house we find, we'll have to start step by step. Maybe first only some drinks, refreshments and snacks for the pilgrims; after some beds to sleep ...

For sure it will need many years to grow. And yes a lot of mouth to mouth sharing. Our vision is the final picture, the steps until reaching there, gonna be stoney, exhausting but also beautiful.

Maybe all this sounds very naive, childish and idealistic; but i want to believe that it's gonna be possible. That we'll find our way there. To a small place, better world.

Thanks again Robo for your time and thoughts.
Warm greetings.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.