• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Second-hand walking poles

Nezabudka

Time of past OR future Camino
СF 2018/2024
Hi all,
Just wondering if there is an option of ordering donated walking poles to be delivered to the starting point somehow?
Travelling with hand-luggage only. I will start from Burgos, my parents join me from Ponferrada. So three pairs would be left after in SdC. I do not mind bying, just feels such a waste.
I underdrand that with our starting points there is a chance we can find something in donativo boxes, but I would rather rely on some kind of service and pay for the poles and delivery.
Will appreciate any ideas 🙌

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This has come up a few times.
Sadly it's not that simple.

I have to confess to having been a management consultant in the Logistics / Supply Chain field for the last 30 years. So I kind of understand the processes and numbers behind this, as it's what we do every day.

I'll lay out an example of why this is hard to make stack up in reality. Rough numbers on an activity and per unit basis.

Poles get left in Santiago. They require a storage facility. And would need to be checked out to make sure they are OK for reuse. You wouldn't want a pole collapsing on you. Token amount for storage space, utilities etc, that could be weeks/months and checking. Euro 5.

Distribution Planning and Order Preparation. Once Pilgrims 'order' some 2nd hand poles, we'd need to check stock, select suitable poles, package them up (labour and materials) and organise transport to the pickup location. Having another storage location at the pickup point wold not make sense (cost and sheer number required), so they would need to be delivered to the Pilgrim's accommodation or somewhere like an Amazon locker. Rough cost. Euro 10

Transport to Pickup. Depending on the location, Correos would probably be the best means of transport. So, collection and delivery by Correos, maybe Euro 10 (at least)

Customer Service. Having someone to deal with the orders, the enquiries, "where are my poles" type of stuff. Maybe Euro 3.

So as a minimum, the costs of providing such a service would be in the region of Euro 28 per set of poles. (In reality, the costs could be higher)

Looking at the Decathlon store in Ponferrada, you can buy a single pole for Euro 6.
Therein lies the dilemma.
As in many areas of our lives, recycling makes so much sense, but can often come at a higher cost.

So it could only really take place as a not for profit activity with substantial funding from other sources.
Unless the 2nd hand poles were 'purchased' by the Pilgrim to at least cover costs. I'm sure many would do that, and have fun with the lucky dip nature of which poles they might get.

Poles can be a very personal item though, selected carefully for weight, and feel.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
T

I have to confess to having been a management consultant in the Logistics / Supply Chain field for the last 30 years. So I kind of understand the processes and numbers behind this, as it's what we do every day.

I'll lay out an example of why this is hard to make stack up in reality. Rough numbers on an activity and per unit basis.

Poles get left in Santiago. They require a storage facility. And would need to be checked out to make sure they are OK for reuse. You wouldn't want a pole collapsing on you. Token amount for storage space, utilities etc, that could be weeks/months and checking. Euro 5.

Distribution Planning and Order Preparation. Once Pilgrims 'order' some 2nd hand poles, we'd need to check stock, select suitable poles, package them up (labour and materials) and organise transport to the pickup location. Having another storage location at the pickup point wold not make sense (cost and sheer number required), so they would need to be delivered to the Pilgrim's accommodation or somewhere like an Amazon locker. Rough cost. Euro 10

Transport to Pickup. Depending on the location, Correos would probably be the best means of transport. So, collection and delivery by Correos, maybe Euro 10 (at least)

Customer Service. Having someone to deal with the orders, the enquiries, "where are my poles" type of stuff. Maybe Euro 3.

So as a minimum, the costs of providing such a service would be in the region of Euro 28 per set of poles. (In reality, the costs could be higher)

Looking at the Decathlon store in Ponferrada, you can buy a single pole for Euro 6.
As in many areas of our lives, recycling makes so much sense, but can often come at a higher cost.

So it could only really take place as a not for profit activity with substantial funding from other sources.
Unless the 2nd hand poles were 'purchased' by the Pilgrim to at least cover costs. I'm sure many would do that, and have fun with the lucky dip nature of which poles they might get.

Poles can be a very personal item though, selected carefully for weight, and feel.
Thanks, Robo, all this makes perfect sense.
And sometimes indeed the recycling concept is out of place and not doable without what you called ‘other sources’. I just was hoping that something might have changed from this side and Spain’s authorities responsible for maintenance of the camino and administration of pilgrims have put some thought into sustainable solutions.

May be its not a problem at all? Just out of interest what hapoens to all the stuff left in SdC, possibly its being sent to something like Salvos/Thrifty already and not ending in the landfill?

T

Thanks, Robo, all this makes perfect sense.
And sometimes indeed the recycling concept is out of place and not doable without what you called ‘other sources’. I just was hoping that something might have changed from this side and Spain’s authorities responsible for maintenance of the camino and administration of pilgrims have put some thought into sustainable solutions.

May be its not a problem at all? Just out of interest what hapoens to all the stuff left in SdC, possibly its being sent to something like Salvos/Thrifty already and not ending in the landfill?

I think quite a bit of stuff is left at Pilgrim House and given away, plus Casa Ivar of course.
But I imagine most people take their poles home, to use next time :)

Of course there is a bit of a challenge wth regard to ......

Spain’s authorities responsible for maintenance of the camino and administration of pilgrims

As there is realy no such thing. Others will have more knowledge, but as I understand it.

The Pilgrim office I believe operates under the direction of the Archdiocese of Santiago de Compostela? And administers Pilgrims arriving.

And the various regions and local authorities have a degree of administration over municipal Albergues.
And some may invest in maintaining the Camino trail on public land.

But ultimately the Camino is not a 'thing' that is owned or managed as such.
It is merely a collecton of paths that people use to walk to Santiago.
Much of which crosses private land.

Over the years, local authorities, maybe seeing the commercial benefit, have upgraded paths (where not going across private land) and added signage..... but that's it really.

I'm reminded of a conversation with the owner of a Hostal on the VdlP last year.
He took care to explain the route for the following day.
How many years ago a local landowner refused access to Pilgrims.
And as a result all the guidebooks now showed an alternative route.

But! 5 years ago the dispute was resolved with the aid of the local Camino Association, and the orginal route could now be used again. And he showed us which path to take.

And so it is. The route changes over time. No one actually owns or manages the entire Camino.
Of which I understand there are 280 routes?

And that just seems, how it should be to me. :)

Last edited:
Yes, the pole thing is an issue, like plastics, clothing, etc that we buy, use and discard and there is no good way to really recycle on a large scale. I admit that I am pretty stingy and I make Phil bring home those extra poles if we buy in country and check a bag. I buy a large 2 euro zippered bag (like an Ikea bag knock off) and some duct tape and make the bag fit the poles to bring home.

Normally we do check a bag now going overseas with poles, pocket knife, etc. I have a few fold up travel bags that work for this. The result is that we now have a lot of poles at home that I will take to the second hand sporting goods store here in Laramie and someone will use them.

I didn't check a bag for this winter's trip as Sarria to Santiago did not need poles for me. I did buy a nice sharp pocket knife our first day at the Asian Store which I donated to the last AirBNB we stayed. I used it a lot for bread, cheese, veggies, salad prep, and even cut up a while chicken with it when we cooked in Madrid.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I have never flown out of Santiago after any of my Caminos. So far it has been Madrid and Lisbon. I expect I am not alone in this, and that many of the people who walk the Camino fly into and out of Madrid or Paris (for the Frances) and Lisbon and Porto (for the Portugues). Last Camino, I used Facebook to connect to another pilgrim who was arriving in Madrid as I was preparing to leave and arrange a handoff. (I offered here on the forums, too, but FB was where my offer was taken up.)

Modern communications technologies offer possibilities to avoid many of the costs you itemize above by removing or reducing the "middle men". I can imagine a website or app where I type in where I will be and when after my Camino, prospective pilgrims type in where they will be and when before their Camino, and the site or app finds the overlap and makes the connections. Then the two pilgrims decide more precisely where and when to meet and do the hand over. The only cost is maintaining the website.

On my last camino, I asked at the albergue I was staying at in Leon if they had any walking poles left behind. He showed me a closet full from which I selected one. High probability you'll find one along your way.
I agree this is so. It is the most effective way to be green about it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps someone could ask Express Bourricot whether, when they’ve dropped off all those suitcases in Santiago, they could collect and bring a van load of poles back to St Jean? I’ve noted @Robo’s concerns expressed above but I’m sure someone could come up with a suitably binding waiver. Otherwise just do what I do - get up early and nick what you need 😉

Last edited:
I dropped into pilgrim house this morning asking about their laundry service.
I was also on my way to decathlon to pick up poles. Both Nate and Faith were at pilgrim office this morning and brought out a huge basket full of poles. All sorts.
I am short so the very best set just weren’t for me. Nice fold up type but minimum length was a smidge too tall for me.
I still was able to pick up an excellent pair of poles though. So do look them up .. of course… although they offer them for free …. Please be aware that they are helping others all the time. A good donation is much appreciated.
It was quiet there this morning so I was lucky to have both Faith and Nate spend time chatting and Nate checked out the serviceability of the poles just to make sure they were ok.

If you are looking for them when you are in Santiago .. they are a few doors down from Ivars store.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.