• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeing Botafumeiro

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2022
I arrive in Santiago in two days and a big part for me will be seeing Botafumeiro swing. I know this isn’t a regular occurrence but would like to increase my odds of witnessing this. Is there a place where the schedule is posted.

Any help appreciated

Buen Cowmino 🐮

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes! And No! Yes, the Church lists a number of Holy Days when the Botafumeiro will be used. No, there is no list for all the other days that are sponsored by private parties. Two days from now is NOT one of the listed days, so it will simply be unknown.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It depends on how important it is to you. As others have said, there is a place where they post the days it is guaranteed to swing. Other days are a matter of chance.

Except...

What determines whether it swings on the other days is whether an individual or group chooses to pay the cost of having it swung. If it is important enough to you for you to pay those costs (either yourself, or in a group with other fellow pilgrims) you can be certain that you will see it swung. You will even have prime seats for the viewing.

With all the tour buses and other large groups coming into Santiago the tour operators are spending the money to get the botafumeiro to swing. I arrived in Santiago Oct 27 along with about 1000 school kids and a few tour bus groups, one of which coughed up the money for the botafumeiro to swing during morning mass. There’s no way of knowing ahead of time for unscheduled action. Even the staff standing at the doors claim it won’t be swinging.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Use the SEARCH FUNCTION in the FORUM! Suggest you look for "Botafumeiro seeing"

It is more likely that you will NOT see it, if it is not currently one of the Catholic feast or solemnity days indicated at the PIlgrim Office web site, folks above are alluding to.

Other than that, and also as alluded to above, the Botafumeiro is used when someone pays the @ €450 price for the service. Over the very busy summer months, many groups pay for this special ceremony. Preferential seating is included in the subscription fee for having the Botafumeiro used at a specific Mass.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Yes! And No! Yes, the Church lists a number of Holy Days when the Botafumeiro will be used. No, there is no list for all the other days that are sponsored by private parties. Two days from now is NOT one of the listed days, so it will simply be unknown.
We were there a week ago and went to Mass and saw the botafumeiro swing. As a matter of fact we've seen it every time we've been there in the last 12 years.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I arrive in Santiago in two days and a big part for me will be seeing Botafumeiro swing. I know this isn’t a regular occurrence but would like to increase my odds of witnessing this. Is there a place where the schedule is posted.

Any help appreciated

Buen Cowmino 🐮
I believe they will use it in a non scheduled use mass for a donation of $300 - $350. We were lucky and saw it on Sunday 10/22 12:00 mass...Truly moving....

Attachments

• 327FFC30-9DD7-476A-8F7D-00486C6537DC.mov
    36.2 MB

Any help appreciated

Buen Cowmino 🐮
If you go into the cathedral and see reserved seats at the front it usually means that someone has paid for the Botafumeiro to be swung.

I have been to Mass 5 times after 5 caminos and have been lucky enough to see the Botafumeiro swing at all 5 Masses. Must be the luck of the Irish 🍀
The luck of the Irish was with me, too! We were prepared to attend as many masses as possible, but we got lucky on the second one! There was a tour group in front of us, plus one of our group spotted Emilio Estevez, so we were very hopeful throughout the mass that they would swing the Botafumeiro - which was a truly wonderful experience!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It depends on how important it is to you. As others have said, there is a place where they post the days it is guaranteed to swing. Other days are a matter of chance.

Except...

What determines whether it swings on the other days is whether an individual or group chooses to pay the cost of having it swung. If it is important enough to you for you to pay those costs (either yourself, or in a group with other fellow pilgrims) you can be certain that you will see it swung. You will even have prime seats for the viewing.
I’ve heard… yes paying for it is $/€500 +/-… but that’s it is not a matter of saying here is $500 on the Day you want to see it either… or even the week or two before. That all funds need to be wired in well in advance and arrangements made…. For example… the “paid viewing area -the first two rows needs to be roped off in advance and the Knights of Santiago need to be there and available—they do not participate in all Masses…”
1) if you see the Red Roped area- that’s a “good sign”
2) get there early… as in 10:45 (or earlier) for the Noon Pilgrims Mass
3) then at about 1 hour and 20 minutes into the Mass… if You see the Knights of Santiago “show up” (ohhh big and tall and hunky gorgeous men..I Know ⚡⚡️lightening is gonna strike me—haha)— it’s probably your Lucky Day.
4) Congratulations 🎈 on finishing your Camino🥰

the Knights of Santiago need to be there and available—
I don't think the Knights of Santiago are much involved. The tiraboleiros are mostly members of the cathedral and pilgrim office staff with other duties the rest of the time who are paid a small additional fee each time the Botafumeiro is used.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If a sufficient number of pilgrims could be persuaded to forsake the modern habits of showering every day and washing their clothing on a regular basis I think it likely that the Bota-wotsit would swing most days ;)

I don't think the Knights of Santiago are much involved. The tiraboleiros are mostly members of the cathedral and pilgrim office staff with other duties the rest of the time who are paid a small additional fee each time the Botafumeiro is used.
I can’t say 100% who the #HunkyGents were—I just heard them referred to as the Knights of Santiago… maybe they are just “volunteers”— but maybe the only prerequisite is only “tall and strong 😉— and good looking is a bonus 😂

Except...

The old saying "That everything has a price." I can appreciate their reasons. I would as well like to see this. I am unsure of its significance as I have not researched this yet. But have read from others how special this is.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.