• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
FYI - there's a post on the Camigas FB group that one of the group members has paid for the Botafumeiro for the noon mass on Sunday, October 22nd. In the same post she says that she met a group that had paid for the Botafumeiro for the 9:30am mass on the same day.

Hola @K_Lynn given that Nov 1 (All Saints Day) is a " holy day of obligation" for practicing Catholics I would suggest that there is every likelyhood that the Botofumeiro will swing. Lucky you, get there early and sit as close to the altar on the South or North side. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I arrived in Santiago 10 October and collected my Compostela. Took care of a few other things, then decided to go to the Pilgrim's mass on 11 October at 9:30 am. There were no hints that the Botafumeiro ceremony would take place, but just as mass was wrapping up, here came the helpers in robes and the next thing I knew the Botafumeiro was swinging! Quite a thrilling surprise. Of course, one of the security staff asked pilgrims to not take photos or pictures, but everyone ignored him! Bob

I arrived in Santiago 10 October and collected my Compostela. Took care of a few other things, then decided to go to the Pilgrim's mass on 11 October at 9:30 am. There were no hints that the Botafumeiro ceremony would take place, but just as mass was wrapping up, here came the helpers in robes and the next thing I knew the Botafumeiro was swinging! Quite a thrilling surprise. Of course, one of the security staff asked pilgrims to not take photos or pictures, but everyone ignored him! Bob
That was the mass I attended

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Arrived in Santiago after a short Camino from Sarria. Was fortunate to be given a bench seat a Botafumeiro mass the next day. Sat front row in the transept and got a great video. See it here
Thank you, this was great.
I have been lucky to have expirienced the Butafumero i use several times, an every time I am very impressed by the whole scenery, and the old tradition. 🍀

Arrived in Santiago after a short Camino from Sarria. Was fortunate to be given a bench seat a Botafumeiro mass the next day. Sat front row in the transept and got a great video. See it here
Thank you so so much for sharing. I was at the Mass Oct 4th so your video brought back beautiful memories to Colorado. Great job Budda

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've seen the Botufumeira a few times but never as clearly as that. Well done & thank you for sharing.

I was at the 7:30pm Mass on October 3 and was fortunate to see the Botufumeira. I was further removed from your pew, but had a great view and experienced a beautiful tradition.

The Cathedral seemed to be much less crowded than earlier in the month.

Thank you for sharing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The commentary is perpetuating the myth that the burning of incense is to 'fumigate' the building, or to mask the smell of the pilgrims. It's not.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The commentary is perpetuating the myth that the burning of incense is to 'fumigate' the building, or to mask the smell of the pilgrims. It's not.
So, why is the Botafumeiro so big ?

So, why is the Botafumeiro so big ?
To show off (imo). Despite what you may read in some places on the internet, only a small quantity of burning charcoal is put in the botafumeiro – round about 1 lb or 450 g, though, of course, it is not weighed. Not 40 kg. To that is added a few ounces of incense, which is enough to make the smoke and fill the air with the smell for the very short time required – about a minute, I would guess. "The smoke of incense is symbolic of sanctification and purification. It also symbolizes the prayers of the faithful. It is an outward sign of spiritual realities, which is why it has its place in Christian liturgy." – goodcatholic.com.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here are the guaranteed days to see it from the Cathedral website
The Botafumeiro operates during the following Solemnities:
  • The Epiphany: 6 January
  • Resurrection Sunday
  • The Apparition of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23 May
  • Pentecost
  • The Martyrdom of Saint James: 25 July
  • The Assumption of Mary: 15 August
  • All Saints: 1 November
  • Christ the King
  • The Immaculate Conception: 8 December
  • Christmas: 25 December
  • Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30 December

Here are the guaranteed days to see it from the Cathedral website
The Botafumeiro operates during the following Solemnities:
  • The Epiphany: 6 January
  • Resurrection Sunday
  • The Apparition of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23 May
  • Pentecost
  • The Martyrdom of Saint James: 25 July
  • The Assumption of Mary: 15 August
  • All Saints: 1 November
  • Christ the King
  • The Immaculate Conception: 8 December
  • Christmas: 25 December
  • Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30 December
I there any way of knowing in advance of other dates / specific dates when individuals or groups may have paid for the Botafumeiro to be operated?

I believe that the cost to have the Botafumeiro especially swung is €500.00.

The email to make contact and ask is : botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es

I have been very fortunate to coincide on several occasions when the Botafumeiro was swung, so have never made the arrangement for being especially swung, so cannot guide other than what is written above.

To show off (imo). Despite what you may read in some places on the internet, only a small quantity of burning charcoal is put in the botafumeiro – round about 1 lb or 450 g, though, of course, it is not weighed. Not 40 kg. To that is added a few ounces of incense, which is enough to make the smoke and fill the air with the smell for the very short time required – about a minute, I would guess. "The smoke of incense is symbolic of sanctification and purification. It also symbolizes the prayers of the faithful. It is an outward sign of spiritual realities, which is why it has its place in Christian liturgy." – goodcatholic.com.
It must of also helped with the smell don’t you think?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It must have also helped with the smell, don’t you think? (edited)
Not a lot, again imo. The people in the congregation would have been (and still are) much closer to other pilgrims than to the botafumeiro. The incense burns for perhaps a couple of minutes at the end of the Mass. If the celebrants were concerned about the smell of the congregation, they would surely burn incense throughout the ceremony. Katar1na gave the origin of the myth some time ago.

I went to the midday pilgrim mass in the cathedral today (Friday 20/10/23) with no expectations of seeing the botafumeiro swing - it was a surprise and I had the perfect view from the side seating. A spectacle for sure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Could anyone share the lyrics of the anthem being sung?

Could anyone share the lyrics of the anthem being sung?
For the Spanish text of the hymn to the apostle Saint James that accompanies the swinging of the Botafumeiro see for example here: https://www.santiagoturismo.es/2013/05/el-himno-del-apostol.html. Text of the hymn translated into English:

Holy Adalid, patron saint of the Spanish Realms, friend of the Lord: Defend your beloved disciples and protect your nation! We come to temper the victorious weapons of the Christian in the sacred and flaming fire of your devout altar.

The holy Christian faith, a heavenly good that you bequeathed to us, shall be firm and secure in Spain like the pillar which the Mother of Jesus gave to you.

Glory to Saint James, illustrious patron saint! Your grateful children praise you today.

Prostrate at your feet, we offer you the most sincere pledge of our love. Defend your beloved disciples! Protect your nation! Protect your nation!

The hymn was written for the Holy Year 1920. It starts with the words "Santo Adalid". Adalid is a military rank comparable to captain, see Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adalid

For the Spanish text of the hymn to the apostle Saint James that accompanies the swinging of the Botafumeiro see for example here: https://www.santiagoturismo.es/2013/05/el-himno-del-apostol.html. Text of the hymn translated into English:

Holy Adalid, patron saint of the Spanish Realms, friend of the Lord: Defend your beloved disciples and protect your nation! We come to temper the victorious weapons of the Christian in the sacred and flaming fire of your devout altar.

The holy Christian faith, a heavenly good that you bequeathed to us, shall be firm and secure in Spain like the pillar which the Mother of Jesus gave to you.

Glory to Saint James, illustrious patron saint! Your grateful children praise you today.

Prostrate at your feet, we offer you the most sincere pledge of our love. Defend your beloved disciples! Protect your nation! Protect your nation!

The hymn was written for the Holy Year 1920. It starts with the words "Santo Adalid". Adalid is a military rank comparable to captain, see Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adalid

Thank you so much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.