• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Seeking guidance whether I’m permitted to travel on September 12

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hi everyone, I’m seeking input regarding my case.

I delayed getting a second booster (mainly because I got Covid in early June 2022).

I am scheduled to fly on September 12. And now I’m worried whether I am permitted to travel because of Spain’s entry requirements.

I’m a little confused by what I’m reading on the Spanish and US travel websites, so I’d appreciate someone confirming whether I’m permitted to travel. I’m trying to determine if I need to get a second booster and whether there is not a minimum time requirement before I’m allowed to enter Spain. Or if at this stage, that won’t work, and I need to schedule a PCR test before departure as my only otion.

My Case

I had two shots of Moderna (March 30 and April 27, 2021). I then got the booster on November 18, 2021. That booster was more than 270 days to my departure date on September 12. I the. had Covid in early June this year, but never got any certificate from my doctor that I was no longer negative (I just took at-home tests).

I am seeking clarification regarding this text below from the US Embassy in Spain:

“Vaccines are valid from 14 days after the last dose up to 270 days. If more than 270 days (9 months) have passed since receiving the last required dose of their COVID-19 vaccine, U.S. citizens must show proof of having received a booster shot. The booster shot certificate is valid since the day it was administered.”

Vaccines are valid from 14 days after the last dose. However, I see they say the booster shot certificate is valid from the day administered. So does that mean if I get an additional booster shot I’ll be okay entering Spain (in other words, the minimum 14-day period applies to the first two doses of the vaccine, and not the booster, which has no waiting period)?

It seems there is a definition difference between “vaccine” and “booster”?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I flew at the end of August from the netherlands to Spain (Madrid). Nobody asked me for any qr code or certificates. Just check with your flight organisation what the rules are for your country :))

There is no expiry on the booster. There is no requirement for a second booster. The 270 days refers to the time after the initial basic vaccination set - two shots for Moderna.

Added: The "vaccine" is the two shots of Moderna. The booster is the one after. Another booster is not required.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hallelujah. Thank you.

There is no expiry on the booster. There is no requirement for a second booster. The 270 days refers to the time after the initial basic vaccination set - two shots for Moderna.

Added: The "vaccine" is the two shots of Moderna. The booster is the one after. Another booster is not required.
Thank you for answering my question and providing me relief. I am to understand that since I have one booster that I should be all set (no PCR required for entry), correct?

One final question: are they still requiring US passengers to submit the QR SPTH? Is that a pretty straightforward process?

• “QR SPTH . If you do not have the EU Digital COVID Certificate or EU equivalent, you must fill in the SPTH Health Control Form manually entering the details of your vaccination, recovery or diagnostic test certificate through the website or the Spain Travel Health application -SpTH- (Android, iOS, Huawei). The system will send you a QR code that you will have to present both prior boarding, and upon your arrival in Spain. In the health control, you may be required to present this document certifying vaccination, diagnostic test or recovery.”

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am to understand that since I have one booster that I should be all set (no PCR required for entry), correct?
Yes, correct.

One final question: are they still requiring US passengers to submit the QR SPTH? Is that a pretty straightforward process?
According to this Spanish government website, the SpTH form is still required. I found it to be quite straightforward, but many people seem to be confused. This thread demonstrates the confusion, but look at posts #24 and #26 on this thread by @Kathar1na for some clear instructions.

I travelled in May and haven't followed changes closely. At that time, a vaccine certificate (or photo of it) had to be uploaded, so it would be wise to carry a digital version of your certificate.

[Edited to add missing link to thread by Kathar1na.]

Last edited:
I've just arrived today, am in Irun now. I filled out the Spanish form, it got scanned in on my first departing location in Canada, then needed nothing more. I also got a booster more than 270 days ago, second boosters are not currently required. Masks are still required on public transport like planes, trains and buses but as soon as people got in the air terminal, most masks disappeared. Buen Camino!

I delayed getting a second booster (mainly because I got Covid in early June 2022).

I am scheduled to fly on September 12. And now I’m worried whether I am permitted to travel because of Spain’s entry requirements.

I’m a little confused by what I’m reading on the Spanish and US travel websites, so I’d appreciate someone confirming whether I’m permitted to travel. I’m trying to determine if I need to get a second booster and whether there is not a minimum time requirement before I’m allowed to enter Spain. Or if at this stage, that won’t work, and I need to schedule a PCR test before departure as my only otion.

My Case

I had two shots of Moderna (March 30 and April 27, 2021). I then got the booster on November 18, 2021. That booster was more than 270 days to my departure date on September 12. I the. had Covid in early June this year, but never got any certificate from my doctor that I was no longer negative (I just took at-home tests).

I am seeking clarification regarding this text below from the US Embassy in Spain:

“Vaccines are valid from 14 days after the last dose up to 270 days. If more than 270 days (9 months) have passed since receiving the last required dose of their COVID-19 vaccine, U.S. citizens must show proof of having received a booster shot. The booster shot certificate is valid since the day it was administered.”

Vaccines are valid from 14 days after the last dose. However, I see they say the booster shot certificate is valid from the day administered. So does that mean if I get an additional booster shot I’ll be okay entering Spain (in other words, the minimum 14-day period applies to the first two doses of the vaccine, and not the booster, which has no waiting period)?

Thanks for your help!
I highly recommend getting the booster ASAP, and get a letter from your doctor that you have recovered. I would even get a PCR test 72 hours before departing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I highly recommend getting the booster ASAP, and get a letter from your doctor that you have recovered. I would even get a PCR test 72 hours before departing.
Thanks for your input, @walkinglover!

I want to make sure that I'm not adding further confusion to Forum members from the U.S. who are planning to travel to Spain soon and had similar questions about entry requirements. I've received some good input over the last couple days from Members who corroborate my interpretation of the Spanish government's travel policy (shout-out to Moderators @trecile and @C clearly to name a few).

So I want to make it clear to readers who see this thread:

- Based on my personal case (i.e., I have had two doses of the Moderna vaccine in Spring 2021 and the booster in November 2021), I should be permitted to enter Spain next week. I will submit the required SpTH form and plan to have my physical vaccination card and a digital copy with me for added reassurance.

- I am not required to take a PCR test to enter Spain.

- Now, if I want to get added protection from contracting a new variant of COVID-19 during my Camino, I could elect to get a second booster before I depart the U.S. on September 12. (And maybe I will decide to get the second booster in the coming days, but that is not a requirement for entering Spain at this time).

Last edited:

My Case

Thanks for your help!
I just returned from Spain 2 weeks ago. Only requirement was a covid test 72 hours prior but I’m not even sure they are requiring that now. I am unvaccinated, fully recovered and only needed a covid test. If you fill out the Spain Health guide and get your QR code you will fly through customs. Here is the link.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just returned from Spain 2 weeks ago. Only requirement was a covid test 72 hours prior but I’m not even sure they are requiring that now. I am unvaccinated, fully recovered and only needed a covid test.
This comment may be a little confusing for those who, currently, have not yet filled in their form. As stated already several times, if you fly from outside of the EU directly to Spain (say from New York, London, or Dubai) and you don't have an EU certificate or equivalent (which you are unlikely to have when living in the USA, Canada or Australia), you need to enter your data from ONE of these:
  • certificate of vaccination
    OR
  • certificate of recovery (means: certificate of positive PCR or antigen test from around the day you got ill. Not a self test but something more detailed and 'official'. You don't need to prove that you recovered. You need to prove that you got ill some time ago but not too long ago)
    OR
  • certificate of negative test (antigen or PCR)
These certificates must not be expired, ie. they must conform with current Spanish requirements for entry on flights from non-EU airports. The app will test the dates you entered to check whether your certificate is valid. If your data don't pass the validity test, you cannot proceed with filling in the form.​

If you happen to have two or more of these certificates and their timeframe makes them valid certificates you can choose. But you must choose one and only one. Also, as people have no doubt noticed since it is printed in red in the email they received with their QR code: REMEMBER that in order to travel to Spain you must bring the QR you have just received and the vaccination/diagnostic test/recovery certificate indicated or provided when filling in the form.

And don't forget: It's really easy. Talking about and trying to explain this form without having it in front of you is a lot more difficult than actually filling in the form. That's why a trial run with dummy data may be useful.

Last edited:
This comment may be a little confusing for those who, currently, have not yet filled in their form. As stated already several times, if you fly from outside of the EU directly to Spain (say from New York, London, or Dubai) and you don't have an EU certificate or equivalent (which you are unlikely to have when living in the USA, Canada or Australia), you need to enter your data from ONE of these:
  • certificate of vaccination
    OR
  • certificate of recovery (means: certificate of positive PCR or antigen test from around the day you got ill. Not a self test but something more detailed and 'official'. You don't need to prove that you recovered. You need to prove that you got ill some time ago but not too long ago)
    OR
  • certificate of negative test (antigen or PCR)
These certificates must not be expired, ie. they must conform with current Spanish requirements for entry on flights from non-EU airports. The app will test the dates you entered to check whether your certificate is valid. If your data don't pass the validity test, you cannot proceed with filling in the form.​

If you happen to have two or more of these certificates and their timeframe makes them valid certificates you can choose. But you must choose one and only one. Also, as people have no doubt noticed since it is printed in red in the email they received with their QR code: REMEMBER that in order to travel to Spain you must bring the QR you have just received and the vaccination/diagnostic test/recovery certificate indicated or provided when filling in the form.

And don't forget: It's really easy. Talking about and trying to explain this form without having it in front of you is a lot more difficult than actually filling in the form. That's why a trial run with dummy data may be useful.

Am I wrong to assume that this requirement does NOT currently apply to a Canadian or USA citizen flying into Portugal?

Am I wrong to assume that this requirement does NOT currently apply to a Canadian or USA citizen flying into Portugal?
Correct. Currently no test required to enter Portugal, and the post that you quoted was referring to the Spanish health form.

The Sherpa site is good for up to date travel restrictions, and provides links to government sources

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Folks, sorry I'm putting this question here as I don't really know how to use site accurately.
On Sept. 20th. I'll be walking into Spain from SJPDP do I need any paperwork, QR Code, anything to enter into Spain? France has no requirements for folks coming into country from USA. As well, a few weeks later I'm going from Burgos by train to Madrid and flying back to USA. Do I need any special paperwork? I will carry an uptodate vaccine card.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This post tweaked my interest as I arrive into Madrid from UK on Saturday 24 September!
Some of the replies got me doubting my own plan!

Me, 2 vaccines only!
Non eu status

From what understand I am required to:

1.Partially complete Spanish Travel Form
2.Take lateral flow 24hrs before departure!
3.Use certificate to complete Spanish Travel form!
4. Download Lateral flow certificate
5. Download health form QR code!

Or get booster to provide certification for Spanish Travel Form!

Or get booster to provide certification for Spanish Travel Form!
Based on this information on current conditions on the Camino Francés from @Rebekah Scott who lives on the Camino, I'd say that getting a booster your best bet.
Najera is insane. Not a bed to be had in all the town, and people going down with Covid, too. Add to the mix the great shortage of volunteer hospitaleros, which sometimes means we have to reduce our capacity to half... if you must walk now, be prepared! And remember the pilgrim dictum: Nobody owes a pilgrim anything!

I just returned from Spain 2 weeks ago. Only requirement was a covid test 72 hours prior but I’m not even sure they are requiring that now. I am unvaccinated, fully recovered and only needed a covid test. If you fill out the Spain Health guide and get your QR code you will fly through customs. Here is the link.
Thanks for sharing this, I'm also unvaxxed and recovered so good to know

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back