• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking route suggestions, 10-12 days for a solo* first timer

Steeplechase

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2019 - 1st Camino - CF, Burgos to Astorga
I'm two months away from camino time and really, really need to pick a route to commit to so I can get a modest amount of pre-walk-research done. Routes I've been more than casually contemplating over the past year are Primitivo, San Salvador, and Invierno. I still love the idea of each of those routes eventually, but think they might not suit a beginner. I'm a wallflower by nature, so the potential for the occasional completely empty albergue just won't do this first time around. I can't hang back and be shy if I'm the only person there - I need friendly strangers for that ;)

Some details about me that might trigger recommendations to mind:
I have some religious/ spiritual reasons for walking. I especially look forward to visiting churches, cathedrals, monasteries & such (love medieval art / studied art history) and ending in Santiago is not a high priority. I'm flying in and out of Madrid and plan to spend a few days there to see what I can see either before or after my camino. I'm in pretty good shape and getting moreso in preparation for September and my Spanish is in the advanced-beginner range.

Which way?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I need friendly strangers
I have some religious/ spiritual reasons for walking. I especially look forward to visiting churches, cathedrals, monasteries & such
Sounds like some portion of the Camino Frances. It will be early September (?) when there are many many starters in SJPP, you might want to start ahead of them in Burgos, and walk about 10 days to Astorga. There should still be enough people in that section to give you company but avoid the crowds starting in Sarria, and you'll enjoy the historical sites of Burgos, Leon and Astorga as well as the villages between.

For a first timer, I always recommend the Frances. It is a very "domesticated" way, not difficult, with lots of services, nice landscapes, and certainly many old churches. In early September you will not be alone -and that's actually a understatement. You may consider seriously reserving a bed, at least two or three days in advance.
If you are into a spiritual experience, parish and monastery albergues could be your thing (but be aware that the parish ones don't accept reservations).
After a week, you will become a seasoned pilgrim:), and maybe you can decide to try the Salvador or Invierno.
If the compostela is not a priority, I'd avoid the Sarria-Santiago stages. Or walk them (they are actually very pleasant), but being mentally prepared for the too happy crowds.
Don't worry, you will be fine.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Two ways of looking at it I think.
And whilst I am 100% in the camp that says it's all about the journey.........not the destination.........

If you want a Compestela.
Work out roughly how far you are comfortable walking each day.
As you are only walking for 10-12 days I would not add in a rest day.
But make one day just half your expected daily distance.
You might want a 'short' day........ rest, injury, who knows.

So whatever that total distance is, let's say it's 200 kms, work back 200 kms from Santiago on each of the routes. That gives you a few start points.

Then, consider what 'type' of Camino you want to walk.
More remote, less people?
You want lots of accommodation options?
You want lots of churches?

For a first Camino the Frances is hard to beat........

If you are not worried about a Compostela?

Then your options are wide open. You could start on one route and move to another.

If it was me? I would start 10-12 out from Santiago on the Frances?

Why?

It's a great first route with lots of enthusiastic people around you.
Lots of Camino history.
Lots of churches.
Lots of places to stay and eat.

I think you also get a better Camino 'feeling' if you walk contiguously for whatever time you have, and end up finishing in Santiago.

Others will have different thoughts, suggestions and options :) :)

For a first timer, I always recommend the Frances. It is a very "domesticated" way, not difficult, with lots of services, nice landscapes, and certainly many old churches. In early September you will not be alone -and that's actually a understatement. You may consider seriously reserving a bed, at least two or three days in advance.
If you are into a spiritual experience, parish and monastery albergues could be your thing (but be aware that the parish ones don't accept reservations).
After a week, you will become a seasoned pilgrim:), and maybe you can decide to try the Salvador or Invierno.
If the compostela is not a priority, I'd avoid the Sarria-Santiago stages. Or walk them (they are actually very pleasant), but being mentally prepared for the too happy crowds.
Don't worry, you will be fine.
Yes, the CF is the one I would always recommend as a first timer - it's great. Try starting in Pamplona and see how far you get. Certainly you will sample everything that you desire in the ensuing 12 days or so, and can easily get back to Madrid from Burgos or Fromista.
Make sure you tell us what you decide and how it went afterwards.

Sounds like some portion of the Camino Frances. It will be early September (?) when there are many many starters in SJPP, you might want to start ahead of them in Burgos, and walk about 10 days to Astorga. There should still be enough people in that section to give you company but avoid the crowds starting in Sarria, and you'll enjoy the historical sites of Burgos, Leon and Astorga as well as the villages between.

Wow - the meseta is a real treasure, I had no idea! My general impression from the forums was that CF was often uncomfortably crowded & also that the meseta was a common stage to skip without guilt - a long schlep through the desert without much to look at. Thank you for suggesting it - I'd never have taken a second look otherwise. I might get to see the whole milky way in the sky and be inside a Gaudi building both in the same day...the meseta is the way for me :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In early September you will not be alone -and that's actually a understatement. You may consider seriously reserving a bed, at least two or three days in advance.

I'm just starting to go hunting for my albergue options - thank you for the tip on parish and monastery ones. One thing I would really like to avoid as much as possible is using my phone or any related technological gadgets at all, so I'll focus on the no-reservations spots first.

Do you think it is feasible or risky to never pre-book, as a matter of principle & in the spirit of keeping it as classic/ old school as possible?

My general impression from the forums was that CF was often uncomfortably crowded
This is sometimes true, but the biggest crowds from SJPP start in May and September, putting them on the meseta in June and October. September might be fine for the Burgos-Astorga stretch. If you find a crowd, take two or three days off walking and let the bubble get past you.
Do you think it is feasible or risky to never pre-book, as a matter of principle
Sure it is feasible and risky. But what good is a principle if you abandon it at the slightest risk? :cool:

Along the same lines, why would you feel less guilty about skipping a boring section. Maybe you should feel more guilty about skipping a section that you don't like, to adhere to the principle of classic/old school!;)

I hope you don't mind that I am teasing a bit here.

I love the meseta and would be surprised if a majority on this forum would recommend skipping it.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back