• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Semana Santa on the VDLP

Jan Jones

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2018, Norte, 2019, Camino Primitivo 2023
I am planning to walk the Sanabrés next spring and from initial planning I think I will be around Pueblo de Sanabrés during the Santa Semana weekend. For those of you who have been on the VDLP at Easter is there any advice about how easy it is to be on the move over that weekend? I was thinking of staying put in a pensión for about three nights with the idea that it will be nice to be in a smallish town to witness the processions etc but also on the assumption that facilities in villages might well be closed . Last time I was in Spain for Easter I was driving through in a kombi van in 1979 - it was a very different country.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I haven't walked the Sanabres yet, but walked the VdlP from Seville to Astorga this year during Semana Santa.

I made sure I was well North of Seville before Easter. (10 days ahead)

The smaller towns and villages did not pose a problem.

I was in Merida 4 days before Easter and the parades were going strong, which was great to watch.
Easter weekend I was in smaller villages and I only booked 3-4 days ahead without any issues.
Seeing the parades in the small villages was a treat.
Rooms and Albergues were not full.
I kept moving without any problem.

Maybe someone who has walked the Sanabres specifically during Semana Santa could add a more detailed/relevant perspective.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I haven't walked the Sanabres yet, but walked the VdlP from Seville to Astorga this year during Semana Santa.

I made sure I was well North of Seville before Easter. (10 days ahead)

The smaller towns and villages did not pose a problem.

I was in Merida 4 days before Easter and the parades were going strong, which was great to watch.
Easter weekend I was in smaller villages and I only booked 3-4 days ahead without any issues.
Seeing the parades in the small villages was a treat.
Rooms and Albergues were not full.
I kept moving without any problem.

Maybe someone who has walked the Sanabres specifically during Semana Santa could add a more detailed/relevant perspective.
Thanks so much Robo, that’s very helpful.

Sounds like an excellent plan! All my walks have fallen during Semana Santa. Friday and Saturday of Easter weekend make great rest days, most small towns are buttoned up for those days.

I am planning to walk the Sanabrés next spring and from initial planning I think I will be around Pueblo de Sanabrés during the Santa Semana weekend. For those of you who have been on the VDLP at Easter is there any advice about how easy it is to be on the move over that weekend? I was thinking of staying put in a pensión for about three nights with the idea that it will be nice to be in a smallish town to witness the processions etc but also on the assumption that facilities in villages might well be closed . Last time I was in Spain for Easter I was driving through in a kombi van in 1979 - it was a very different country.
Pueblo de Sanabres would be a great town in which to spend Santa Semana. However I would recommend you book your accomodation early as this is also the most historic and well preserved town along the Sanabres so I imagine it will be full. And by early I mean now. I stayed at Hostel los Perales last year. It looks a bit run down from the outside but has everything you need inside. They include a reasonable breakfast. It is located on the other side of the town near the river - right on the Camino for the following morning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Jan,

We might even see you along the way we are planning to start around the very beginning of April to avoid the Easter crowds. All the best Bill & Sandra

Pueblo de Sanabres would be a great town in which to spend Santa Semana. However I would recommend you book your accomodation early as this is also the most historic and well preserved town along the Sanabres so I imagine it will be full. And by early I mean now. I stayed at Hostel los Perales last year. It looks a bit run down from the outside but has everything you need inside. They include a reasonable breakfast. It is located on the other side of the town near the river - right on the Camino for the following morning.

Thanks Rita, yes I have made a booking

Came through the Sanabres a couple of months ago.

Between Puebla de Sanabria (PdS) and Verin, you are in quite a remote area. Good news though is PdS still has good rail connections and you could take the train to Zamora or Ourense - or both. Train to Zamora is 34 mins; bus in 2 hours. In the other direction it's 1 hour by train and 2 by bus.

Of the 3 locations Ourense, PdS and Zamora I think Zamora would be the stand out option.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Came through the Sanabres a couple of months ago.

Between Puebla de Sanabria (PdS) and Verin, you are in quite a remote area. Good news though is PdS still has good rail connections and you could take the train to Zamora or Ourense - or both. Train to Zamora is 34 mins; bus in 2 hours. In the other direction it's 1 hour by train and 2 by bus.

Of the 3 locations Ourense, PdS and Zamora I think Zamora would be the stand out option.
Thanks, but I am a tad confused about why one would travel back to Zamora from PdS or train to Ourense , that seems like a big chunk of the Sanabrés. I confess that I am tempted to train or bus Salamanca to Zamora and Zamora to Granja de Moruela ( the official start of the Sanabrés). That would leave more time to explore those interesting cities and dodge what sounds like some not wonderful walking, but once on the Sanabrés I would like to walk most of that way.

Sorry I didn't read your post correctly. Thought you were static at PdS rather than walking through. Comment about it being very quiet, even quieter than the VDLP still valid.

Easter week requires a certain amount of forward planning, especially if you're going to be passing through places which don't have dedicated pilgrim hostels.

I would advise you to start checking ahead a few days before Easter to make sure that Pilgrim hostels are operating and to book if necessary.

Buen Camino!
Gerald

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Easter week requires a certain amount of forward planning, especially if you're going to be passing through places which don't have dedicated pilgrim hostels.

I would advise you to start checking ahead a few days before Easter to make sure that Pilgrim hostels are operating and to book if necessary.

Buen Camino!
Gerald
Thank you, I have booked my accommodation in a pensión for that weekend but I wanted to be back on the move on the Monday. I am not planning on staying in albergues.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.