• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Senses & Nostalgia

Coconut.Dan

Time of past OR future Camino
Still dreaming. (2018? 2019?)
I would be curious to hear from those who have returned home, are there aromas, sights or sounds in your life that trigger certain memories from the Camino?

My own Camino/s are still in the future.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Beer! I hadn't drank it more than a few times for decades before my Camino, but its now pretty much synonymous with the trail. Not sure if this is a good thing since I find it helps me recapture that feeling back at home.....:(

Especially the Camino Frances place names cited in these forum posts which daily bring back fond memories of all my past caminos.

"J’aimerai toujours le temps des cerises:
C’est de ce temps-là que je garde au cœur"
J-B Clément, 1867

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola
Depending on the season. I've walked with the beautiful smell of figs and honey.
Sight and taste of the roadside blackberries supplying lots of vitamin c

Yesterday while I walked part of the camino Inglés., a few Scottish pilgrims who have also been to Australia (my home )., commented that with the smell of eucalyptus (and plantations of them all around) one could almost be in Australia.

I find that right now (june )the beauty of the Hydrangeas in flower - When I'm home these flower in Nov/December , and I know it will then transport me back to Spain.

And Spain moreso in the south , the oranges. !!!

as another poster has already commented. - when you see a yellow arrow anywhere else in the world ., you stop and wonder and remember how they have shown you the way.
Annie

I like to choose a song for every trip I take - and for my last camino I chose the song "Happy". Every time I hear the song I remember dancing down the trail with two men in front of me, who never looked back, never saw the joy I was experiencing dancing to that song.

When I see the "hill" I walked up and down to get ready for the camino it always makes me laugh. I live in a very flat area, and when I arrived home the "big hill" I had been climbing suddenly looked so small.

I see the camino everywhere. The plastic chairs, laundry hanging to dry, sunny days, rainy days...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here is a paragraph I wrote on this subject, a few months after returning from the camino.

There are days when I’m pottering about the house, getting on with some work, or more often than not, avoiding all those tasks that should be done, when things sound a little different from what they actually are. If I pause for a moment or look away, then what I see comes from a distant place, but one that still feels very near. It may be the dull thud of the fridge door closing, the click of the computer when I switch it on, or the clink of loose change in my pocket, but what I see making the noise, is the fall of my staff beside my footstep as I walk along, the hospitalero’s stamp landing on my credencial, or the clink of glasses as pilgrims toast each other with a glass of wine at the end of a day of walking. I smile quietly to myself when this happens, because I recognise what it is. It is the call of the camino.

As wonderful as all these memories our senses bring back, wouldn't it be wonderful to develop that attentionto smells, tastes, the beauty of light reflecting on something, etc., here at home?

It happened to me twice in the last coup,e of weeks: all of a sudden I looked at my city with the open eyes of a tourist/pilgrim. The beautiful tiny Delanaudiere street (had never been there before) in the now world famous Plateau, and another day, just driving along a street I drive along almost daily as I take the dogs to the dog run, I noticed how beautifully green Montreal is at this time of the year. No greenry like this along the Caminos. Even noticed all this lush green vegetation in the supermarket's parking lot!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would be curious to hear from those who have returned home, are there aromas, sights or sounds in your life that trigger certain memories from the Camino?

My own Camino/s are still in the future.

Dan, the sound of the Camino for me is the Irish singer Christy Moore's "Ride On." I arrived early at Ermita de St. Nicolas (the day before Fromista). All afternoon a Spanish guy from Barcelona was playing and singing "Ride On" on the albergue's guitar again and again as we all sat mesmerized on sunny benches outside listening. I had never heard it. Today it is the Camino for me. What is left of a 12th Century pilgrim's hospice and a later Cistercian Monestery is now run by an Italian Confraternity, and is magical. But "Ride On" brings the whole Camino back to me as I listen. Load it on your iPod. It may become your Camino, too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Spanish restaurants. Anything that can vaguely be considered tapas. And walking through our hallway, where our first Compostelas have been hanging on the wall for so many years...

I put on the CD that I bought off the Jazzman at Santiago sit in the sun, pour a beer, close my eyes and I'm back in the square next to the cathedral.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back