• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2014 Peregrinos

Hello fellow walkers. My friend and I were to have left on April 13th to begin our camino but due to an emergency, we had to put it off until September. Seeing the snow some people are encountering, we are very happy for this change! We fly into Paris September 18th and will be staying in Lourdes for a few days before starting from SJPdeP. 5 months feels so long away, but it will come quick! Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've been looking for a group for interaction of the Septmember 2014 folks and haven't had much success . Figure I would hop in here and start one , then I would get a ton of emails telling me were at least five such threads dwell . If I don't then , Welcome to the only verified , validated, Ivar approved ( I hope :) ) Camino September 2014 Topic( as of 2/6/2014) . All are welcome of course. Except for the Janurary Pilgrims .. cause something just isn't right if your going in Janurary ( Brrrrr)

Joe here , Arkansas , Heading out and up on the 26th to Orission of the Camino Francis with my wife & son . Ticketed and almost equiped . Oh Boy!.

Hi there, I am heading off on Sept 1 from SJPdP and plan to meet a friend a couple of days after that in Roncevalles. We will walk together for around 10 days then I'll be on my own again until the final 100k when my partner will join me. So it's likely we'll cross paths. Looking forward to the challenge of my first big walk.
Jenny.

I had heard such good things about Orisson I booked months ago. Now I'm sorry I hadn't heard of Hunto! LOL :). Oh well.

Monk Moses,

Another wonderful place that does NOT accept reservations , but is ALWAYS open for pilgrims is the parochial albergue at Granon, 6k west of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.

Created within the tower of the church of San Juan Bautista this is VERY special.
Open all day its sign reads “Welcome pilgrim make this your home”. The handsome common room has a fireplace and comfortable furnishing. Above on a continuous platform are mats for pilgrims' sleeping bags. Kitchen and toilets are new and well equipped. One can really relax. Everything is done to make each pilgrim feel at home. Hospitaleros are always warm and helpful while the communal meals are most pleasant.

When dusk falls and outside the wind begins to howl inside the lit lamps and candles seem to shine with the glimmer of true hospitality, grace and caritas. Long may it last.

Don't miss it!!

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Coleenk
I'm arriving SJPdP on Sept 1st and leaving on Sept 3rd. To Roncesvalles. I'm from Prince George B.C. Canada. My first Camino walk. Walking by myself until a 100km before Santiago. Then meeting up with 4 other friends from Prince George. Looking forward to my walk and meeting lots of new friends.
Coleenk

Thank you for your messages. Its heart warming to hear from someone who has a similar experience - my daughter is a teacher and has a 20 mile drive to work and sometimes has to stay late in the evenings. Its really tricky and I do feel that I want to do the walk but I don't want to walk away from her, my other daughter says GO mother! Its different if you haven't walked those shoes - that is giving advice!
I also agree about all this planning - it drives me mad and feels like the opposite of the ethos of the walk. I think I'm going to play it by ear and hang on before making a decision...
Hi Annie
There's a parable about who in the family always gets the burnt chop - certainly unlikely to be one of the kids or even the dog - so Mum usually takes it herself! It's obvious you care about your daughter, but it's not wrong to care for your own needs at least once in a while. Sounds like an opportunity all round especially if both your daughters have given you their blessing.
Mary

Hi Annie
There's a parable about who in the family always gets the burnt chop - certainly unlikely to be one of the kids or even the dog - so Mum usually takes it herself! It's obvious you care about your daughter, but it's not wrong to care for your own needs at least once in a while. Sounds like an opportunity all round especially if both your daughters have given you their blessing.
Mary
Thank you for that, yes I'm going to do it and feel strengthened each day in the resolution - I was dithering! I woke up this morning and was listening to the radio about Aleppo and I suddenly thought, why don't I do the whole walk for charity say red cross or medecins sans frontier. Anyway I'm going to research this a bit and put a letter together and see how it might work, any ideas out there?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just called them and they said it takes "three to four days" to get a response back.

You can not schedule by phone more than three days ahead.

You should hear back [ same as myself ] in a few days.

Noah

www.facebook.com/TrekCaminoForDiabetesCure

Update: Just received an email back from Orisson Refuge [ faster than I thought or than they said on phone ].

They want you to pay 33 euros per person months in advance to hold your place. First one that wanted to be paid four [4] months in advance and is the most expensive I've seen in all the information on alburgues / refugios.

I sent an email back to inquire about their cancellation policy in the event of health issues, airline strikes, weather delays, etc.

Is this a standard practice? The other two [2] albergues don't seem to be as expensive or have asked for payment yet. Anyone with prior experience with Orisson Refuge?

Is it worth the high price? Have they charged so far in advance for anyone else?

Makes me a bit nervous dealing with a refugio so far away and not knowing much about them.

Can anyone comment about Orisson Refuge from experience? Thank you!
I have looked at your website and felt encouraged. This morning by listening to news from Aleppo I want to explore walking this for charity, red cross or medicins sans frontier, any thoughts how to go about this?

Monk Moses,

Another wonderful place that does NOT accept reservations , but is ALWAYS open for pilgrims is the parochial albergue at Granon, 6k west of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.

Created within the tower of the church of San Juan Bautista this is VERY special.
Open all day its sign reads “Welcome pilgrim make this your home”. The handsome common room has a fireplace and comfortable furnishing. Above on a continuous platform are mats for pilgrims' sleeping bags. Kitchen and toilets are new and well equipped. One can really relax. Everything is done to make each pilgrim feel at home. Hospitaleros are always warm and helpful while the communal meals are most pleasant.

When dusk falls and outside the wind begins to howl inside the lit lamps and candles seem to shine with the glimmer of true hospitality, grace and caritas. Long may it last.

Don't miss it!!

Margaret Meredith

Thank you Margaret! Sounds like a special place. I have put it in my list.

Coleenk
I'm arriving SJPdP on Sept 1st and leaving on Sept 3rd. To Roncesvalles. I'm from Prince George B.C. Canada. My first Camino walk. Walking by myself until a 100km before Santiago. Then meeting up with 4 other friends from Prince George. Looking forward to my walk and meeting lots of new friends.
Coleenk
Welcome to the forum
You will be a fee days ahead of myself and my wife. This to is our first Camino. We depart SJPP on the 16th. See you along the trail.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello fellow walkers. My friend and I were to have left on April 13th to begin our camino but due to an emergency, we had to put it off until September. Seeing the snow some people are encountering, we are very happy for this change! We fly into Paris September 18th and will be staying in Lourdes for a few days before starting from SJPdeP. 5 months feels so long away, but it will come quick! Buen camino!

Hope to run into you on Camino! I am a leisurely walker so you will probably catch up to me. Guy in a neon yellow baseball cap.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah

Welcome to the forum
You will be a fee days ahead of myself and my wife. This to is our first Camino. We depart SJPP on the 16th. See you along the trail.
Buen Camino
Hi Jabaldo, I spend my summers in Ithaca and my husband and I are also walking in September. We are leaving SJPP on the 12th. Maybe we'll run into you.

Hi Jabaldo, I spend my summers in Ithaca and my husband and I are also walking in September. We are leaving SJPP on the 12th. Maybe we'll run into you.

Seems to be a lot us of walking Camino Frances for the first time! I am leaving SJPP on 13 SEP 14, a day after you.

I will be staying at Orisson Refuge one [1] night and then heading on to Roncesvalles.

Maybe we will run into each other along The Way. I will be the guy wearing the neon yellow baseball cap!

Noah

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have looked at your website and felt encouraged. This morning by listening to news from Aleppo I want to explore walking this for charity, red cross or medicins sans frontier, any thoughts how to go about this?

Hi AnniY, sure. Do a little research on the internet for each charity that you are interested in and see what they say about allowing you to list your event [ in this case walking El Camino ] on their website. This helps.

Another issue, and to me the most important, is to ask them how much each dollar [ or Euro ] you raise for them ACTUALLY will GO TO the charity or entities the charity is suppose to benefit. I almost made the mistake of associating my event with an organization, that will remain nameless, but did some vetting of them days before I was to meet with its director and found that they were in trouble for fraudulent fund raising practices in another state. So, I begged off from the meeting and settled on the American Diabetes Association so that folks who would donate for my pilgrimage could do so directly to ADA.

It's very important to remove yourself as much as possible from the donations to avoid any "appearance of impropriety" and keep everything "above board" so to speak.

I liked ADA because they allow you to create your own personal page that you can put a photo on as well as write about your charity fund raising event.

This allows me to seek out sponsors for my trip without going near donations. Read my article I wrote titled: "Green Apples, Sponsorships, Pledges, and Donations" on my El Camino for Diabetes page. I wrote it because a friend of mine asked if I would be using any of the donation money to pay for my trip. I nearly had a coronary because that would be a serious breach of trust.

In sum, do a thorough job of researching the charities you are interested in or have a heart for, and then vet them carefully to make sure they are reputable and that most [ > 83% ] of the money goes to help the people that they should be helping instead of "lining" their fund-raisers' pockets.

If you have any further questions, just email me and I will be glad to help.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah

Monk Moses,

Don't miss it!!

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret! Is there an official name to the "parochial albergue at Granon"? I probably can look it up but if you know the official name, I would appreciate hearing it from you. You did a wonderful job of describing the place and make it sound very enticing to visit. Just a newbie wanting to confirm the right place.

Thank you!

Noah

Hi Margaret! Is there an official name to the "parochial albergue at Granon"? I probably can look it up but if you know the official name, I would appreciate hearing it from you....

Noah,

That is the official name, ie the albergue parochial de San Juan Bautista! See this link for more info. There are only two albergues in Granon; one is the parochial, the other is private.

MM

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Coleenk
Coleenk
Hi Coleen,
I am one of three ladies leaving California on September 2, start walking from SJPDP on 4th. Perhaps we will catch up at some point. Buen Camino!
Debbie

Seems to be a lot us of walking Camino Frances for the first time! I am leaving SJPP on 13 SEP 14, a day after you.

I will be staying at Orisson Refuge one [1] night and then heading on to Roncesvalles.

Maybe we will run into each other along The Way. I will be the guy wearing the neon yellow baseball cap!

Noah

Noah

ArkBuiIder, I'll be the short one. Also flying out on the 9th to Paris and taking the train to Bayonne. Maybe we'll see you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Noah,

That is the official name, ie the albergue parochial de San Juan Bautista! See this link for more info. There are only two albergues in Granon; one is the parochial, the other is private.

MM

Thank you MM!!

I found it on my pfd [ of albergues ] after your above clarification. Yay. It looks REALLY nice.

I hope I can "fizzle" just as I am getting to Grañón to make it easier to stay there. The "Great Room" was the only photo I could find of it on the link you provided, but I can imagine it all looks as good.

¡Muchas gracias por tuda su ayuda!

Noah

Noah

Hi, Noah. You and I might be at Orisson on the same night. Will you be there the 13th or 14th? I am staying on the 13th. Perhaps I will be wishing you a Buen Camino in person. :)

Mary

This is good to hear. Solid advice! I am looking forward to staying there.

May all our memories of Orisson be as pleasant as yours Annie. Thank you!

I spent a very enjoyable and rather boozy afternoon at Orisson. It was my first chance to have a long chat and get to know other pilgrims.
As you can see the view is fantastic.
The guy with the blue hair had a pack that weighed 20Kg!!!!

Orisson.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Go to the forum you wish to start a thread in for example "Camino Frances".

At the top of the page on the right just above all the threads is a blue button "Post New Thread". Click on that and start writing.

The first box is for the thread title and the box below for the content of the thread.

My brother and I are leaving SJPP on the 12th of Sept also....see ya there!
I hope that we see each other along the way. My wife and I are extremely excited about this experience that we are about to have together. I don't know if I can wait till September.
Ithaca isn't far from where I am, Oneonta another college town.
Buen Camino

What brought you to Ithaca? I live in Oneonta another college town in up state. My wife and I will be a few days behind you, hopefully we will meet along the way. We are not in any hurry, we are just walking the walk to gain insight as to who we are.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What brought you to Ithaca? I live in Oneonta another college town in up state. My wife and I will be a few days behind you, hopefully we will meet along the way. We are not in any hurry, we are just walking the walk to gain insight as to who we are.
Buen Camino
My brother lives there and we were looking for a small home to spend the summers as it is hot as heck here in Florida. We drive past Oneonta several times during the season as I visit family in Connecticut and Rhode Island. Perhaps on one of our drives this summer, we could meet for coffee or whatever and talk about our upcoming adventure. We are also not in hurry. My husband was run over while biking (pedal) in 2012 and along with a laundry list of injuries, he now has a metal rod in his leg and just recently had a small setback, but the doctor gave him the go ahead. We have been walking 5 to 7 miles, so I think by the time we get to Sept., we'll be "good to go".

My brother lives there and we were looking for a small home to spend the summers as it is hot as heck here in Florida. We drive past Oneonta several times during the season as I visit family in Connecticut and Rhode Island. Perhaps on one of our drives this summer, we could meet for coffee or whatever and talk about our upcoming adventure. We are also not in hurry. My husband was run over while biking (pedal) in 2012 and along with a laundry list of injuries, he now has a metal rod in his leg and just recently had a small setback, but the doctor gave him the go ahead. We have been walking 5 to 7 miles, so I think by the time we get to Sept., we'll be "good to go".
I am so glad you responded to my post. Please do contact me this summer I would love for my wife and I to meet you both. I here you about set backs. I too have had my share but it does not compare to your husbands. This is why I am walking the Camino. I have to. God willing I will make it and all will be right with the world.
Please do stop.

Here’s how September ( and late August) is looking for Camino Starts . Not all are leaving from St Jean, Not all are doing the C. Francis but most of us are
If I mispelled your handle or left you off this list ... forgive please! :)

August 26th - VATom, Pilgrim Midwife
August 30th -NancyP
September 1st Kiwi-D , gwDelmar , me.andmyshadow, Ahaj
September 2nd Denis Aldridge , Flaca005
September 3rd Dave 2525, ColeenK
September 4 – Empty
September 5th Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter
September 6th Pippa, Krazykwltr
September 7th Trish McGregor , Wiglaura, Denise Aldridge
September 8th –Empty
September 9th Monk Moses, Taozeaqui
September 10th -Empty
September 11th – GerardCarey ,
September 12th Petite Walker,itsJann
September 13th LesBrass, Arkbuilder, Barber1586
September 14th Walking Man 06, RogerM
September 15th Janet Ellen
September 16th Jabaldo
September 17th – Empty
September 18th –Empty
September 19th Holly
September 20th Jamie Archer, AnnieY
September 21st – Empty
September 22nd –Empty
September 23rd Silvester
September 24th -Empty
September 25th - Empty
September 26th - DeadFred
September 27th thru 30th -Empty

Last edited:
I am looking to hook up with anyone who might be starting the Camino Frances in September (I am flexible with dates) and also to get some training in beforehand. I live in the Exeter area and have done a moderate amount of walking, I think what daunts me most is carrying a rucksack.!

I am looking to hook up with anyone who might be starting the Camino Frances in September (I am flexible with dates) and also to get some training in beforehand. I live in the Exeter area and have done a moderate amount of walking, I think what daunts me most is carrying a rucksack.!
Hi Annie

I wasn't expecting that! :)
I am planning to walk in September and I line in Sidford near Sidmouth. I can walk anywhere any time but like you its a whole different ball game with a rucksack. That's a first for me too. I am flexible but am thinking around about the 7th/8th. How are you planning to get to SJPP? I was planning coach to Victoria on to St Pancras and Eurostar Paris and on to Bayonne. Bus to SJPP. Your plans? Would be great to get some training in - tend to only think about it without motivation.
Let me know what you think and we can hook up if you would like to.
Regards
Angela

Hi Annie

I am planning to walk in September and I line in Sidford near Sidmouth. I can walk anywhere any time but like you its a whole different ball game with a rucksack. That's a first for me too. I am flexible but am thinking around about the 7th/8th. How are you planning to get to SJPP? I was planning coach to Victoria on to St Pancras and Eurostar Paris and on to Bayonne. Bus to SJPP. Your plans? Would be great to get some training in - tend to only think about it without motivation.
Regards
Angela
Hi Angela
I live in woodbury, so not so far! Anyway I am going to stay with friends in France a few days before so will be setting out for Orrison from SJPP on the 20th September, alone if you fancy starting together???. It would be great to meet up whenever you can. I only work on a Thursday at present, it would be greatly encouraging to talk and get motivated it keeps coming in waves! Do contact me through my email annieyeulett@hotmail.com and then we can arrange something. Look forward to hearing from you, Annie

I hope that we see each other along the way. My wife and I are extremely excited about this experience that we are about to have together. I don't know if I can wait till September.
Ithaca isn't far from where I am, Oneonta another college town.
Buen Camino
I know what you mean about being excited....it's the first thing I think about when I wake and the last thought I have before I fall asleep! Sept. can't get here fast enough. I hope we see y'all too!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here’s how September ( and late August) is looking for Camino Starts . Not all are leaving from St Jean, Not all are doing the C. Francis but most of us are

August 30th -NancyP
September 1st Kiwi-D , gwDelmar , me.andmyshadow
September 4 – Empty
September 6th Pippa
September 7th Trish McGregor , Wiglaura
September 8th –Empty
September 10th itsJann
September 11th – Empty
September 12th Petite Walker
September 14th Walking Man 06
September 16th Jabaldo
September 17th – Empty
September 18th –Empty
September 19th Holly
September 20th Jamie Archer
September 21st – Empty
September 22nd –Empty
September 23rd Silvester
September 24th -Empty
September 25th - Empty

September 14th - Roger M. --- My feet are barking at me on training walks but I hope to have all sorted out by 9/14. See ya!

August 30th -NancyP
September 4 – Empty
September 6th Pippa
September 8th –Empty
September 10th itsJann
September 11th – Empty
September 12th Petite Walker
September 14th Walking Man 06
September 16th Jabaldo
September 17th – Empty
September 18th –Empty
September 19th Holly
September 21st – Empty
September 22nd –Empty
September 23rd Silvester
September 24th -Empty
September 25th - Empty

My brother Mike and I (Jann) will be leaving SJPP on Sept 12th (not 10th), I can't figure out the calendar but appreciate you counting us. Thanks :) I can hardly wait!!

September 14th - Roger M. --- My feet are barking at me on training walks but I hope to have all sorted out by 9/14. See ya!
Sept 9th here. I walked 21 miles yesterday as part of a walking pilgrimage sponsored by the diocese of Green Bay WI yesterday. No feet problems although my calves were killing me. Felt great this morning and got another 10 miles in.

Can't wait for September!

Fr. Moses

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Roger , I get the feet Barks too , especially when its hot . I've taken sage advice and stopped , removed shoes and socks and let the feet chill out a bit . Seems to help . I added you to the calendar

We are planning on staying there but don't have reservations yet. I've sent a message on their web page a week ago but haven't heard back.....I'll try to get another message off this week. Are you staying?
Yes.

My brother Mike and I (Jann) will be leaving SJPP on Sept 12th (not 10th), I can't figure out the calendar but appreciate you counting us. Thanks :) I can hardly wait!!

itsjann .. I moved you to the 12th . The reason I posted this calendar was first for purely selfish reasons .. My wife , son & I are heading to Orission on the 26th . I started this Sept thread to see who else was leaving in Sept about the same time,. The thread started to pickup and I had a bit of a trial keeping up with who/what & when .. so I figured I would make this chart and then figured I might as well post it for my fellow Pilgrims and Pilgrimises .. anyway , the names are adjacent to the dates these folks are heading onto the camino for the start of their trek . Notice no one is leaving on or near the 26th ,, drats

I've been looking for a group for interaction of the Septmember 2014 folks and haven't had much success . Figure I would hop in here and start one , then I would get a ton of emails telling me were at least five such threads dwell . If I don't then , Welcome to the only verified , validated, Ivar approved ( I hope :) ) Camino September 2014 Topic( as of 2/6/2014) . All are welcome of course. Except for the Janurary Pilgrims .. cause something just isn't right if your going in Janurary ( Brrrrr)

Joe here , Arkansas , Heading out and up on the 26th to Orission of the Camino Francis with my wife & son . Ticketed and almost equiped . Oh Boy!.

Hi Krazykwltr here from Arizona, we (3 of us) are beginning the Camino Francis on Sept. 6th from SJPDP. Plans almost completed for trip there.

Notice no one is leaving on or near the 26th ,, drats

Joe,

Loved your remark: "Drats." Made me smile. See? :)

Thanks, too, for the chart. I'm leaving on the 13th. Sorry I will be missing you. Perhaps if you walk very, very fast you and yours will catch up with me?

Buen Camino!

Mary

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My brother and I will be in SJPP on or near Sept. 10, going through to Santiago.
A first Camino for both of us, very excited...it fills my every thought! Hope to see y'all there.
I met an Australian lady who stayed in orisson last sept with me. Her husband and daughter went on to Roncevalles and she met them there next morning and travelled on together from there. Orisson was a very social place and the after dinner meet and greet and sing TDRUt8pGsong started by the Irish, 5 others and myself, Is a great memory. I had a great connection to every one there whenever I bumped into them again.

Joe,

Loved your remark: "Drats." Made me smile. See? :)

Thanks, too, for the chart. I'm leaving on the 13th. Sorry I will be missing you. Perhaps if you walk very, very fast you and yours will catch up with me?

Buen Camino!

Mary

Mary .. You have a very nice smile ! The 13th ... You will be way way way ahead of us . My son is a very very fast walker .I will send along a greeting card with him to give to you

Buen Camino to you back :).

Well, I'm counting down to departure in September. It has seemed a long way away so far - plenty of time to build up the amount of walking in preparation. But, I've noticed a curious thing - I have become a virtual Camino walker - my fingers get more exercise on the forum and google earth than my feet. By the time I finish surfing the net after a day at a standing desk at work it's getting dark - and winter is setting in here with lots of windy showers and it is much cosier inside. I see I shall have to lurch into action. I'm sure that 2 hours of dancing a week doesn't equate!
Any other virtual preparers out there?
Mary

€149,-

August 30th -NancyP
September 4 – Empty
September 8th –Empty
September 10th -Empty
September 11th – Empty
September 16th Jabaldo
September 17th – Empty
September 18th –Empty
September 19th Holly
September 21st – Empty
September 22nd –Empty
September 23rd Silvester
September 24th -Empty
September 25th - Empty

August 30th -NancyP
September 4 – Empty
September 8th –Empty
September 10th -Empty
September 11th – Empty
September 16th Jabaldo
September 17th – Empty
September 18th –Empty
September 19th Holly
September 21st – Empty
September 22nd –Empty
September 23rd Silvester
September 24th -Empty
September 25th - Empty
I am leaving SJPP on the 20th - AnnieY

My first post after stalking the forum for some months. Yesterday I booked my flight out to Biarritz and first night at SJPP for August 31 so starting 1 September. I am walking alone thou my husband may meet me in Leon for a break. Planning on 5 weeks in total. I am British but have lived in Hong Kong for the last 23+ years. Looking forward to meeting some of you along the Way.

Hi Krazykwltr here from Arizona, we (3 of us) are beginning the Camino Francis on Sept. 6th from SJPDP. Plans almost completed for trip there.
Hi Krazykwltr, We have had two holidays in Arizona around the Sedona area and loved it. We had great walks in all the vortex areas. We leave SJPDP on the 5th September and will get to Orisson. We will then do Orisson to Roncesvalles on the 6th so our paths may cross.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
( Moving this list to here so I don't have to keep scrolling back and forth .. developing carpel tunnel ! :( )

August 30th -NancyP
September 4 – Empty
September 5th Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, sriyantra
September 8th –Empty
September 10th -Empty
September 11th – Empty
September 16th Jabaldo
September 17th – Empty
September 18th –Empty
September 19th Holly
September 21st – Empty
September 22nd –Empty
September 23rd Silvester
September 24th -Empty
September 25th - Empty

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mary .. You have a very nice smile ! The 13th ... You will be way way way ahead of us . My son is a very very fast walker .I will send along a greeting card with him to give to you

Buen Camino to you back :).

Lovely! I will look forward to that! Tell him I will be the lady resting by the side of the road against my purple backpack, cooling my feet. I should prove easy to catch! ;) I've given myself 42 days travel time. We may yet meet.

A party of four staying at L'Auberge du Pelerin in St Jean the night of 11th Sept.
Walking to Orisson next morning, the 12th.
Anyone nervous, like I was the first time, is welcome to join our party.
Don't be shy. Come bang on the door.
Regds
Gerard Carey

ps .. The first time. http://tinyurl.com/kbrflr9

Coleenk
Coleenk
Roncesvalles- do you have to book there ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Annie

Regards
Angela
Hi Angela did you see my previous post about meeting up? I'd really love to!

A party of four staying at L'Auberge du Pelerin in St Jean the night of 11th Sept.
Regds
Gerard Carey

Gerry, my husband and I are also leaving SSPP on the 12th after staying two nights at Belieri which was formerly Spirit du Chemin and will be spending the night of the 12th at Orisson. If we don't see you in St Jean, we'll meet up on "The Way". This is our first Camino and we are very excited. We are early to mid 60's and we plan to take our time and enjoy the walk.

Lovely! I will look forward to that! Tell him I will be the lady resting by the side of the road against my purple backpack, cooling my feet. I should prove easy to catch! ;) I've given myself 42 days travel time. We may yet meet.

Ok then .Message sent to son, He will be looking for a purple pack and red feet. We have 39 days to stroll and smell the Roses , so hopefully we will catch up and greet and the four of us can cool our toes in a stream and trade stories... Buen Camino and Happy trails barber1586 :)

Gerry, my husband and I are also leaving SSPP on the 12th after staying two nights at Belieri which was formerly Spirit du Chemin and will be spending the night of the 12th at Orisson. If we don't see you in St Jean, we'll meet up on "The Way". This is our first Camino and we are very excited. We are early to mid 60's and we plan to take our time and enjoy the walk.
Look forward to meeting you. I'm late 60's and accompanying my niece and her two sons.
Regds
Gerard Carey

Regds
Gerard Carey

Gerard,

Now aren't you just the loveliest! I arrive on the 11th, hopefully at 7:31 p.m. by train. I am planning on staying 2 nights in St. Jean, leaving for Orisson on the 13th. I, too, am staying on the 11th at L'Auberge du Pelerin, so that's quite handy. I will be delighted to say hello to you then. Thanks for the welcome invitation.

I rather enjoyed your link to the first day of your journey but could not find Part 2. I would love to read that. La Chanson de Roland is also on my reading list. :)

See you in September!
Mary

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ok then .Message sent to son, He will be looking for a purple pack and red feet. We have 39 days to stroll and smell the Roses , so hopefully we will catch up and greet and the four of us can cool our toes in a stream and trade stories... Buen Camino and Happy trails barber1586 :)
Joe, that would be ever so grand! I hope you do catch me up!

Great idea! I will contact them and make sure I reserve a bed.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Blessings,

Noah

I just reserved the 7th September at Orisson refuge... I can't wait, I have heard great things about this refuge. I also want to enjoy the trip so I am happy to stop there before the next day hike. Hope you get a chance as well...

Second Printing :)

Here’s how September ( and late August) is looking for Camino Starts . Not all are leaving from St Jean, Not all are doing the C. Francis but most of us are If I mispelled your handle or left you off this list ... forgive please! :)

August 30th -NancyP
September 4 – Empty
September 6th Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala
September 8th –Empty
September 10th -Empty
September 11th –Empty
September 12th Petite Walker,itsJann, GerardCarey
September 16th Jabaldo
September 17th – Empty
September 18th –Empty
September 19th Holly
September 21st – Empty
September 22nd –Empty
September 23rd Silvester
September 24th -Empty
September 25th - Empty

Last edited:
I arrive in Paris on August 30th and will spend a couple of days in Lourdes before heading down to St. Jean. I will walk the first day to Roncevalles and then bike the rest of the way. I look forward to meeting anyone on the path during my time to Santiago.

I arrive in Paris on August 30th and will spend a couple of days in Lourdes before heading down to St. Jean. I will walk the first day to Roncevalles and then bike the rest of the way. I look forward to meeting anyone on the path during my time to Santiago.
Buen Camino, Ba60453!

Did the Camino Frances last year from SJPDEP
Going to le puy en Velay on sept 1st to do the "back half"
I always wanted to do this walk but did not have the courage to do it in one go!

Just got our reservations at Orrison taken care of for Sept 12th also.....see ya there :)
Also our first Camino. Walking with my younger brother. He's 48 and I'll be almost
60. I'm just too excited!
See you there Jan. We'll also be at Orrison 12th. I will be 63 and my husband 65 when we walk. We will be at Beilari (formerly Esprit du Chemin) on the nights of the 10th and 11th after taking the train from CDG. Where are you staying in SJPP?

131 Days to go! Sept. 16th, fly to Madrid, Sept. 17th bus to Pamplona ( Corazon Puro), Sept 18th stay in SJPP, Sept 19th start, stay at Orrison, then no other plans until I fly back Oct. 14th!!! Can't wait!!!!!!
Buen Camino Everyone!!!!!!!

131 Days to go! Sept. 16th, fly to Madrid, Sept. 17th bus to Pamplona ( Corazon Puro), Sept 18th stay in SJPP, Sept 19th start, stay at Orrison, then no other plans until I fly back Oct. 14th!!! Can't wait!!!!!!
Buen Camino Everyone!!!!!!!

Good Luck! I leave SJPP on Sept 14th. I can't recall being this excited about taking a vacation. I'll stay at Orrison the first night and then the rest is up to God and how my feet feel.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good Luck! I leave SJPP on Sept 14th. I can't recall being this excited about taking a vacation. I'll stay at Orrison the first night and then the rest is up to God and how my feet feel.

Buen Camino!
Roger, My husband and I will be two days ahead of you. If you are a fast walker, we may meet up. I agree about being excited, it seems to be all I think and talk about.

Regds
Gerard Carey

Gerard, Dead Fred has you down for leaving SSJP on the 11th, did you change your reservations?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Roger, My husband and I will be two days ahead of you. If you are a fast walker, we may meet up. I agree about being excited, it seems to be all I think and talk about.

I can be a fast walker. However, at 60 years old I have discovered that my body is not near as predictable day to day as it used to be. I'll be taking it easy the first few days. Having said that, I have been walking at home the last few months and my speed and endurance has increased markedly. So if all goes well, when I hit the Meseta I may just turn it up and race across those flats and we may in fact get to meet up.

I hope you and your husband have a blessed and safe Camino!

Roger

I can be a fast walker. However, at 60 years old I have discovered that my body is not near as predictable day to day as it used to be. I'll be taking it easy the first few days. Having said that, I have been walking at home the last few months and my speed and endurance has increased markedly. So if all goes well, when I hit the Meseta I may just turn it up and race across those flats and we may in fact get to meet up.

I hope you and your husband have a blessed and safe Camino!

Roger
Roger, we are also in our early to mid 60's. My husband was hit by a car while bicycling almost two years ago and now has a titanium rod in his leg. After a pretty near full recovery, he got a nasty infection in the leg this past winter. Surgery needed, but the doctor was able to keep the rod in so now we are back on track. We are now in training and are hoping to be able to do 12 to 14 miles by the time we start our Camino. We too plan to take it easy the first week. If we don't see you on the way, have a Buen Camino!

See you there Jan. We'll also be at Orrison 12th. I will be 63 and my husband 65 when we walk. We will be at Beilari (formerly Esprit du Chemin) on the nights of the 10th and 11th after taking the train from CDG. Where are you staying in SJPP?

My brother and I fly into Paris first for a few days, then we will stay one nite in SJPP at Gite Azkorria before starting our walk. I tried to get in at Beilari too, but they were booked.
After a night at Orrison we have no definite plans.....I guess that's when our "letting the Camino guide us" really starts!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Buen Camino!
I'm obsessed with this trek ...... Not sure what percent is excitement and what is fear of the unknown. Either way I'm in! We leave SJPP sept12, so I'm sure we see you somewhere on the way. Buen Camino!

My brother and I fly into Paris first for a few days, then we will stay one nite in SJPP at Gite Azkorria before starting our walk. I tried to get in at Beilari too, but they were booked.
After a night at Orrison we have no definite plans.....I guess that's when our "letting the Camino guide us" really starts!
Agreed Jan, no plans here after Orrison, except to put one foot in front of the other and see where the Camino takes us.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have been reading some blogs about the time to walk the frances camino originally planned to go in September but now wondering about the countryside being described by somebody as a bit of a dust bowl at that time of year and pretty warm - anyone advise me april/may or September?

AnnieY:

I have walked in the March/April time frame the last four years. I love this time of year. That said, it can be a little on the wet side.

Ultreya,
Joe

DFred-- September is a wonderful time to do the Camino Frances. About 5 days into it you will go by some of the most beautiful vineyards in Spain as you walk by La Rioja and on to Logroño. Tons of harvest festivals along the way so do some research on these events and plan accordingly. Jealous!! The Camino in September is on my Top 3 List of Retirement Adventures. So far, I have been to the Camino in May (3 times) and October (1). Planning a June 2014 return-- hot, hot, hot!!! Buen Camino!!

DFred-- September is a wonderful time to do the Camino Frances. About 5 days into it you will go by some of the most beautiful vineyards in Spain as you walk by La Rioja and on to Logroño. Tons of harvest festivals along the way so do some research on these events and plan accordingly. Jealous!! The Camino in September is on my Top 3 List of Retirement Adventures. So far, I have been to the Camino in May (3 times) and October (1). Planning a June 2014 return-- hot, hot, hot!!! Buen Camino!!

I'm going mid sept to late oct.......any recommendations on clothing for this season would be appreciated. I'm guessing still warm in sept. turning to cool by the end of oct.
But I'm not wanting to carry a lot....suggestions? And sleeping bag or liner for this time of year?
Could I still wear hiking sandals (with socks if needed)? Stuff like that??

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the meseta in October and the best thing that time of the year is to bring a couple of silk thermal undershirts. Regardless of size they are light as feathers, versatile, fold very tight, dry fast, and are warm underneath a shirt. Then, bring a windbreaker and there you have 3 layers and that should be enough for the early starts. At about 9-10am temps start climbing and you should be comfortable without the windbreaker. I got sunburned during the day hours; it felt in the lower 80's some days. The start/evenings were in the lower 50's; still very pleasant. I got the silk thermal at JC Penney, they are not expensive.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Third Printing
Here’s how September ( and late August) is looking for Camino Starts . Not all are leaving from St Jean, Not all are doing the C. Francis but most of us are If I mispelled your handle or left you off this list ... forgive please! :)
August 30th -NancyP
September 4 – Empty
September 6th Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala
September 8th –Empty
September 10th -Empty
September 11th –Empty
September 12th Petite Walker,itsJann, GerardCarey
September 16th Jabaldo
September 17th – Empty
September 18th –Empty
September 19th Holly
September 21st – Empty
September 22nd –Empty
September 23rd Silvester
September 24th -Empty
September 25th - Empty

I can't wait Olivares! Thank you for giving me a heads up on the Festivals .. Need to bring along my dancing shoes :)

I walked the meseta in October and the best thing that time of the year is to bring a couple of silk thermal undershirts. Regardless of size they are light as feathers, versatile, fold very tight, dry fast, and are warm underneath a shirt. Then, bring a windbreaker and there you have 3 layers and that should be enough for the early starts. At about 9-10am temps start climbing and you should be comfortable without the windbreaker. I got sunburned during the day hours; it felt in the lower 80's some days. The start/evenings were in the lower 50's; still very pleasant. I got the silk thermal at JC Penney, they are not expensive.
Thanks, I was thinking about a silk thermal undershirt..glad to know it will work. Did it get cold enough for warm hat and gloves at that time? I'm thinking summer would have required a lot less thinking :) on what to bring, and thus a lighter pack. Oh well.....I'm too excited to regret my timing!

€83,-
Thanks, I was thinking about a silk thermal undershirt..glad to know it will work. Did it get cold enough for warm hat and gloves at that time? I'm thinking summer would have required a lot less thinking :) on what to bring, and thus a lighter pack. Oh well.....I'm too excited to regret my timing!
Jan,
I don't think you'll regret not walking in the heat of the summer. I'm looking forward to some cooler fall weather, especially with a backpack. I have no problem layering or wearing a micro fleece in the morning and evening. And hopefully... there will be less crouds, especially as we get into October. I'm just not looking forward to all that TP left on the trail from the summer folks. :-(

Did it get cold enough for warm hat and gloves at that time? I'm thinking summer would have required a lot less thinking :) on what to bring, and thus a lighter pack. Oh well.....I'm too excited to regret my timing!
Max of 3 layers plus rainwater. I never took windproof jacket - used rainwear for that - saved some weight.
You'll only need a broad brimmed hat for sunproofing.
For chilly early morning starts I have bought very light wool gloves - stay warm even if wet.
Sept/Oct is lightweight sleeping bag weather.
See you at Orisson!
Regds
Gerard

I'm obsessed with this trek ...... Not sure what percent is excitement and what is fear of the unknown. Either way I'm in! We leave SJPP sept12, so I'm sure we see you somewhere on the way. Buen Camino!

I feel the same way. I'm watching Camino films on YouTube and Vimeo every chance I get. Browsing the web for equipment. I have to force myself not to bore my wife or my friends with what I anticipate or how excited I am.

Four more months! --- Buen Camino!

I feel the same way. I'm watching Camino films on YouTube and Vimeo every chance I get. Browsing the web for equipment. I have to force myself not to bore my wife or my friends with what I anticipate or how excited I am.

Four more months! --- Buen Camino!

Roger ,,, Oh how I can relate to what you are saying . I fill my wifes and sons text with links to videos , pictures and helpful forum hints ANYTHING I find interesting on the camino ... They hate me I think ... that or they picked up a Growl virus

Roger ,,, Oh how I can relate to what you are saying . I fill my wifes and sons text with links to videos , pictures and helpful forum hints ANYTHING I find interesting on the camino ... They hate me I think ... that or they picked up a Growl virus
I too an obsessed with any thing Camino. This is all I think about and talk about. My wife who will be walking with me knows as much as I do about the Camino and she hasn't read anything about the way. It is all from me telling her.
We arrive in SJPP on September 14 depart on the 16.
See you on the trail
Buen Camino

Coleenk
Coleenk
My wife and I will be behind you by a few days. We are from up state NY and start our first Camino September 16. I hope that for me the Camino becomes a habit. I am so excited about what the Camino will be.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did grabbed a pair of gloves as an afterthought on my way out the door to the airport and I was glad I did. It was one of my favorite "comfort" items. I would bring gloves, yes. Buen Camino!!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
12June Sarria to Santiago fidelmahersghty1@gmail.com

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.