• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2014 Peregrinos

Here it is, Thursday and I leave for Paris then Pau to begin on the Camino Aragon in four days. I have had a long wait since I made my Airline reservations in January. Last year for my Camino I again made my reservations six months ahead. Seems like the long winters here in the Eastern Edge of the US (Maine) always end up with me having tickets to somewhere. Camino Aragon, then Camino del Salvador to Camino Primitivo, then Camino Frances to Muxia/Finisterre. 1200 k Look for the old Pilgrim wearing a Kilt - that will be me!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are two oldies (Barbara and Tony) arriving in SJPDP on the 3rd September and setting out for Orisson on the 4th at the start of our first Camino.

We will be travelling down from Yorkshire in the UK by train, from home to London then Paris and thence to Bayonne and finally to SJPDP. Although I'm over 70 and Barbara is somewhat younger, but we are hoping to be able to complete the full distance in one visit. We've only booked our journey to Spain and will travel back from wherever we manage. That may be from Pamplona, but hopefully it will be from Finisterra.

Some time ago we booked beds and meals at Orisson and had a confirmation, but does anyone know whether we should confirm that we will actually be arriving on the day we are expected?

As we, and lots of others, have booked many weeks or months in advance I suppose some people's plans can become disrupted and they never turn-up.
Hola Tony,
We will be on the same timing starting in SJPDP n Orisson, together with Clearskies David and other peregrinos. Most likely we can walk some distance together as I hope to reach SDC in 34 days. Buen Camino!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola Tony,
We will be on the same timing starting in SJPDP n Orisson, together with Clearskies David and other peregrinos. Most likely we can walk some distance together as I hope to reach SDC in 34 days. Buen Camino!
I'm going all the way to Roncesvalles on the first day Jason but I'm sure you will catch up with me ;)
I'll see you in St Jean before hand though. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Less than three weeks! Yikes!!
cant believe it , the last couple of weeks have flown by,got my Irish pilgrims passport, dug out my backpack last night, cant wait ,still nervous and excited,sadly not much chance to train, but will be taking it easy.

Yea sounds great!
Beilari will welcome me to dinner on 9th. If you'd like to join us, please email Beilari. It'll be a nice dinner/conversation with fellow pilgrims before we begin the following morning. I worry about your walking to Roncesvalles without a stop. Sometimes people cancel their bed at Orrison. Likely you know that already. Looking forward to meeting you.
Gretchen

Beilari will welcome me to dinner on 9th. If you'd like to join us, please email Beilari. It'll be a nice dinner/conversation with fellow pilgrims before we begin the following morning. I worry about your walking to Roncesvalles without a stop. Sometimes people cancel their bed at Orrison. Likely you know that already. Looking forward to meeting you.
Gretchen
I will send a request and see what happens about dinner and will let you know. Thanks for your concern about walking all the way to Roncesvalles but I'm looking forward to the challenge! All will work out as it should I think :). Looking forward to meeting you as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
11 days to take off, weight down to 7.3kg including camera, unable to sleep cannot take smile off face, longing to be home on the Camino.

Hola Trevor,
Yes, I train with 7kg content in my backpack. That's about the right weight, I suppose. Haven't fully packed all the real items in the pack, but I think it should be less than 7 kg.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
I will send a request and see what happens about dinner and will let you know. Thanks for your concern about walking all the way to Roncesvalles but I'm looking forward to the challenge! All will work out as it should I think :). Looking forward to meeting you as well.
@Carrollnova there are many people who walk to Roncesvalles on the first day including myself so you will be not be alone. You'll have no problem, just take your time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Carrollnova there are many people who walk to Roncesvalles on the first day including myself so you will be not be alone. You'll have no problem, just take your time.

There are more people walking in one go, then there are staying in Orisson.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
With that kind of load, you'll be needing bag transport service everyday, have time to walk at a leisurely pace and smell the roses...LOL!

What kind of car would the bag transport company need? A truck?o_O

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
updated 8/21

August 23 rd-Geoff Stewart, Allister
August 24th- zolarose asger.me
August25th -Angelo
August 26th - VATom, Pilgrim Midwife, Diegomartine
August27th - cinimod
August 28th - Agnogel, Sami Aaltonen
August29th- gimpywalker, Cambridge Pilgrim , Tez, Tony Jansen,
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake
, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 1st - gwDelmar , me.andmyshadow, Ahaj, Skudah. OnePerfectStep
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005,Purrrrple Panda , OzAnnie ( Irun), Dutch
September 3rd -Dave 2525, ColeenK, Laelia2 Leandra.Scott, Jane Erasmus, June F
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon), el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!) , Jason Loke , DragonflyAnnie & OzJacko, Barabara Teresa Bates( +1), TonyC( Tony & Barbara), ndrea
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA
, Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo, nigeloz, Sheri Campbell
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantna, DaleKathryn,Pawel,Basquefan1(Le Puy),
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona ), twobats(John & Tracey ,Pomplona), Halfang, Liz
September 8th
September 9th Monk Moses, taozenqi , mferrara
, Valgongs,
September 10th -Gretchen Hirni, Mary Kate ( Biarritz , Norte) , Carrollnova
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,Jennie and her sister Linda, Cathy Mahoney
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner, Rorik,Vivello
September 13th -LesBrass, Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 14th -Walking Man 06, RogerM, Cate A ,Gardengirl
September 15th -Janet Ellen, Marilyn Russell
September 16th -Jabaldo, Great Dane (Zubiri), twojay54, Janicelee
September 17th- -Zarniwoop, jessica.vthhiker, Kathleen de Montreal
September 18th- nidarosa(Astorga) , drvnsmiln (Fran & Kathy)
September 19th -Holly, ksam, Dennis & Lisa, soleprint(Pomplona), eagleak(6)
September 20th -Jamie Archer, AnnieY, gidivet(Pomplona)
September 21st -Adhemar78,Griffin57(Burgos)
September 22nd –jdpigue ,Seamas O'Muireadhaigh ,
September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles), gmonkey(Burgos?/Leon?), JoeNYC ,onelight ,marylynn
September 24th -Annie Little
September 25th-s4sfamily(Leon), sooh(Pomplona), Daleen Slabbert
September 26th - DeadFred, Bernatchez M
, organflute, Rachel_1981
September 27th - Jgun87, Kristina Wilkening, MileHighPair(2)
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
September 30th-Lockslay , Mr Smirky
Oct 1st -awakengaime
Here's some interesting Camino stats shared by Johnny Walker for the first 6 months of 2014 http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com/

I'll be arriving SJPP on Sept.22(...or 23rd. Depends on wheather I get lost or not.). :^)

Jabaldo ... Hope to see you somewhere along the route ... :). Buen camino

Hola Trevor,
Yes, I train with 7kg content in my backpack. That's about the right weight, I suppose. Haven't fully packed all the real items in the pack, but I think it should be less than 7 kg.
Buen Camino.
Take what you think as you will find what you really use and the rest can be a gift or posted ahead.

We are having a Buen Camino Pilgrim Afternoon Tea Party this afternoon, complete with Spanish food, for our close and supportive friends. I have a heart shaped piece of pumice with their initials on it and I am going to tell them how special they are to me.....true old fashioned pilgrim style just in case I never return! I will leave the pumice at Cruz de Ferro and ask for a blessing for each of them. 9 sleeps to go.......

updated 8/22

August25th -Angelo
August27th - cinimod
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake
, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005,Purrrrple Panda , OzAnnie ( Irun), Dutch
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon), el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!) , Jason Loke , DragonflyAnnie & OzJacko, Barabara Teresa Bates( +1), TonyC( Tony & Barbara), ndrea
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA
, Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo, nigeloz, Sheri Campbell
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantra, DaleKathryn,Pawel,Basquefan1(Le Puy),
September 7th -Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona ), twobats(John & Tracey ,Pomplona), Halfang, Liz
September 8th
, Valgongs,
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,Jennie and her sister Linda, Cathy Mahoney
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner, Rorik,Vivello
September 13th -LesBrass, Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 22nd –jdpigue ,Seamas O'Muireadhaigh
September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles), gmonkey(Burgos?/Leon?), JoeNYC ,onelight ,marylynn,SooYunKim

September 28th
September 29th- michryan
Oct 1st -awakengaime
Here's some interesting Camino stats shared by Johnny Walker for the first 6 months of 2014 http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com/

Aaand they're off! And round the first bend in the 'Camino de Santiago September 2014 Champion Stakes Steeplechase' are neck and neck Geoffrey Stewart and Allister!
Buen Camino, guys!
Mary Kate

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nervous last week coming up before I fly via Dubai to Madrid - tomorrow a last long (25km) training walk. Hope it will help me to get in Roncesvalles in one piece! Looking forward to start sóóó much!
Hola,
I never do full distance of 25 km at one go. The most I do is 12k at one go. And another short session of 80mins at end of the day. Hope I can still make 25k a day with sufficient rests throughout the walking day. Buen Camino!

Hola,
I never do full distance of 25 km at one go. The most I do is 12k at one go. And another short session of 80mins at end of the day. Hope I can still make 25k a day with sufficient rests throughout the walking day. Buen Camino!

Believe it or not, you will be able to walk 30km+ in a day. Not to start with of course, but once you reach say Leon, you'll be so used to your pack and boots that 20km-25km is nothing. Now whether you choose to walk that is another story :) that was the case for me on 2 of my Caminos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've been looking for a group for interaction of the Septmember 2014 folks and haven't had much success . Figure I would hop in here and start one , then I would get a ton of emails telling me were at least five such threads dwell . If I don't then , Welcome to the only verified , validated, Ivar approved ( I hope :) ) Camino September 2014 Topic( as of 2/6/2014) . All are welcome of course. Except for the Janurary Pilgrims .. cause something just isn't right if your going in Janurary ( Brrrrr)

Joe here , Arkansas , Heading out and up on the 26th to Orission of the Camino Francis with my wife & son . Ticketed and almost equiped . Oh Boy!.

How time flies. After months and months of planning, training, etc. we leave for Paris on Sept. 7th and intend to begin our Camino at SJPP on Sept. 11th. The beauty of retirement is that we can take it slowly.... definitely important at our ages (Jim/Paka is 72 and I, Midge/Laka, am 68). This forum has been invaluable.....answers to just about any question that arises. (Thank you Ivar!) We are filled with anticipation, excitement, and predictably a bit of trepidation as the adventure approaches. Looking forward to crossing paths with some of you along the Way. Midge
Hey you guys,
We'll be leaving SJPDP a day after you. Maybe we'll meet up ( Linda and Frankhere). Having the same feelings as you.

Attachments

• IMG_5938.JPG
    IMG_5938.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey you guys,
We'll be leaving SJPDP a day after you. Maybe we'll meet up ( Linda and Frankhere). Having the same feelings as you.
More than likely, as we will be moving slowly...staying at Orisson on Sept. 11. Buen Camino!

DeadFred, I don't see LaPaka on the our Calendar.
We've been a bit under the radar....too busy minimizing gear, training, and reading the forum! Just managed to delete my recent post, as I saw it appearing about 3 times. Thought I could delete it just in one place. Hopefully I'll soon get the gist of forum postings!
Anyway...for DeadFred:"How time flies. After months and months of planning, training, etc. we leave for Paris on Sept. 7th and intend to begin our Camino at SJPP on Sept. 11th. The beauty of retirement is that we can take it slowly.... definitely important at our ages (Jim/Paka is 72 and I, Midge/Laka, am 68). This forum has been invaluable.....answers to just about any question that arises. (Thank you Ivar!) We are filled with anticipation, excitement, and predictably a bit of trepidation as the adventure approaches. Looking forward to crossing paths with some of you along the Way. Midge"
Thanks for suggesting getting us on the calendar, petitewalker. Our team name is LakaPaka (our grandparent names). Hope to meet on the Camino.

We've been a bit under the radar....too busy minimizing gear, training, and reading the forum! Just managed to delete my recent post, as I saw it appearing about 3 times. Thought I could delete it just in one place. Hopefully I'll soon get the gist of forum postings!
Anyway...for DeadFred:"How time flies. After months and months of planning, training, etc. we leave for Paris on Sept. 7th and intend to begin our Camino at SJPP on Sept. 11th. The beauty of retirement is that we can take it slowly.... definitely important at our ages (Jim/Paka is 72 and I, Midge/Laka, am 68). This forum has been invaluable.....answers to just about any question that arises. (Thank you Ivar!) We are filled with anticipation, excitement, and predictably a bit of trepidation as the adventure approaches. Looking forward to crossing paths with some of you along the Way. Midge"
Thanks for suggesting getting us on the calendar, petitewalker. Our team name is LakaPaka (our grandparent names). Hope to meet on the Camino.
We will be at Orisson on the 12th. We are also staying two nights at Belairi in SJPDP before we head off, so maybe we can meet on the night of the 10th after dinner.
Where are you staying in SJPDP?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Spent last 2 days walking from Folkestone to home in Whitstable, Kent.
51 km or so, both days very long.
Managed to get (only) a blister and survived a sandal breakage!

In 2 weeks time I'll be crossing the pyrenees... Hopefully!

Attachments

• IMG_20140823_183521.jpg
    IMG_20140823_183521.jpg
    939.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20140824_170618.jpg
    IMG_20140824_170618.jpg
    998.8 KB · Views: 5
Are you in Astorga now Seamus? :)
Buen Camino, if so!!

Alas clearskies not flying into Santiago until next Wednesday :(, bus that evening to Lugo and then Renfe on Thursday morning from Lugo to Leon and 13 days to get to Finisterre. The pic was taken in 2013.

Alas clearskies not flying into Santiago until next Wednesday :(, bus that evening to Lugo and then Renfe on Thursday morning from Lugo to Leon and 13 days to get to Finisterre. The pic was taken in 2013.

I don't know how you do it Seamus! ;)
13 days to Finistere? o_Oo_O You will have some long days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
updated 8/23

August25th -Angelo

August27th - cinimod
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake
, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantra, DaleKathryn,Pawel,Basquefan1(Le Puy),
September 7th -Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona ), twobats(John & Tracey ,Pomplona), Halfang, Liz
September 8th
, Valgongs,
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,Jennie and her sister Linda, Cathy Mahoney,LakaPaka

September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner, Rorik, Vivello,LesBrass (Roncevalles)
September 13th - Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles), gmonkey(Burgos?/Leon?), JoeNYC ,onelight ,marylynn,SooYunKim
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
Oct 1st -awakengaime

Last edited:
..for DeadFred:"How time flies. After months and months of planning, training, etc. we leave for Paris on Sept. 7th and intend to begin our Camino at SJPP on Sept. 11th. The beauty of retirement is that we can take it slowly.... definitely important at our ages (Jim/Paka is 72 and I, Midge/Laka, am 68). This forum has been invaluable.....answers to just about any question that arises. (Thank you Ivar!) We are filled with anticipation, excitement, and predictably a bit of trepidation as the adventure approaches. Looking forward to crossing paths with some of you along the Way. Midge"

Really Midge .. it flies way to fast . We hope to get too Santiago but are mentally prepared in case we don't. We (Laurie 56) and I ( Joe 68) have 6 weeks to enjoy and we too are strollers . Hope you both the very best with your adventure! :)

We will be at Orisson on the 12th. We are also staying two nights at Belairi in SJPDP before we head off, so maybe we can meet on the night of the 10th after dinner.
Where are you staying in SJPDP?
We also are staying at the Belairi for two nights before we head out. So, undoubtedly we will cross paths there on the 10th. We'll be the ones with butterflies in our stomachs!
Really Midge .. it flies way to fast . We hope to get too Santiago but are mentally prepared in case we don't. We (Laurie 56) and I ( Joe 68) have 6 weeks to enjoy and we too are strollers . Hope you both the very best with your adventure! :)
Thanks for adding us to the calendar. May we all have a meaningful experience....whatever it turns out to be.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We also are staying at the Belairi for two nights before we head out. So, undoubtedly we will cross paths there on the 10th. We'll be the ones with butterflies in our stomachs!

Thanks for adding us to the calendar. May we all have a meaningful experience....whatever it turns out to be.

Looking forward to meeting you both. We'll be the ones showing up just in time for dinner on the 10th, as we will be getting off the bus or train from Bayonne.

Yay! Tomorrow I'm off! Though I'm not too thrilled at having to get up at 4.30am (and neither is the son who is driving me to the airport) . :eek: I have an overnight stopover in Seoul, then a couple of nights in Pamplona to get over the jetlag, then I'll look forward to seeing some of you on the trail - at the rate I'll be walking, I'll probably see all of you overtaking.......;)

Yay! Tomorrow I'm off! Though I'm not too thrilled at having to get up at 4.30am (and neither is the son who is driving me to the airport) . :eek: I have an overnight stopover in Seoul, then a couple of nights in Pamplona to get over the jetlag, then I'll look forward to seeing some of you on the trail - at the rate I'll be walking, I'll probably see all of you overtaking.......;)
Tell your son he'll recover from the lack of sleep... ;) And so will you, and actually you may start getting used to wake up early to avoid the sun!
Good luck and buen camino!

Have a {{Great}} Camino Kiwi-d!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Good Luck and Buen Camino! You will be about two weeks ahead of me so I doubt we would ever meet but I hope you have a good one! --- Roger

Looking forward to meeting you both. We'll be the ones showing up just in time for dinner on the 10th, as we will be getting off the bus or train from Bayonne.
We never did meet up this summer but for us it was way too hectic. We had family all summer long and just took our youngest off to college in Syracuse. We are officially empty nesters. How wonderful and this is why we will be able to do the Camino starting in SJPP.
We depart from SJPP on the 16th. I believe we are a few days ahead of you, not sure. In any case have a wonderful time and enjoy the moment.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We never did meet up this summer but for us it was way too hectic. We had family all summer long and just took our youngest off to college in Syracuse. We are officially empty nesters. How wonderful and this is why we will be able to do the Camino starting in SJPP.
We depart from SJPP on the 16th. I believe we are a few days ahead of you, not sure. In any case have a wonderful time and enjoy the moment.
Buen Camino
Hi Jabaldo,
Ditto on the busy summer, don't know what happened to it. Sorry we didn't get to meet up.
We head off on the 9th and begin our walk on the 12th, so we will be a few days ahead of you. So, if we walk slow or you walk fast we could possibly meet up, perhaps in Santiago. If we don't see you along the way, have a "Buen Camino"
Linda

We are officially empty nesters. How wonderful and this is why we will be able to do the Camino.
Just remember to turn their bedroom into an office or better still another bathroom. Remove all traces of their habitation. Welcome them back for holidays with open arms and a mattress on the floor.:)
Regds
Gerard

Buen Camino
What a great way to celebrate this new stage of your life!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have changed our avatar. Look for these backpacks, somewhere out there........

Thanks Deadfred for creating the calendar and making us all feel like one big family before we even leave !

Thank you to everyone who has given us advice and shared their Camino experiences with us. Enjoy the journey everyone and buen camino Septemberites.

Ok well, I just did the final pack job (well one more maybe) before flying out on 8/27 and first walking on 8/29 from Irun on the CDN. I washed and bed bug treated my pack yesterday. Everything is packed now. Tonight I checked my USA passport and realized my emergency contact was still my mother, with whom I walked my first Camino in 2005, having met her in Leon and continuing to Santiago. She's gone now, gone for some years, I just never updated that contact info. My new emergency contact is my sister, with whom I walked in 2009 from Leon to Finnesterre to honor Mom after her bout with cancer. I cherish the memories. I am never closer to her than when I go back. I talked to her every day of her life after we came back from that first Camino. I am so thankful mom introduced me to the walk. I come back yearly now.

Ok well, I just did the final pack job (well one more maybe) before flying out on 8/27 and first walking on 8/29 from Irun on the CDN. I washed and bed bug treated my pack yesterday. Everything is packed now. Tonight I checked my USA passport and realized my emergency contact was still my mother, with whom I walked my first Camino in 2005, having met her in Leon and continuing to Santiago. She's gone now, gone for some years, I just never updated that contact info. My new emergency contact is my sister, with whom I walked in 2009 from Leon to Finnesterre to honor Mom after her bout with cancer. I cherish the memories. I am never closer to her than when I go back. I talked to her every day of her life after we came back from that first Camino. I am so thankful mom introduced me to the walk. I come back yearly now.

God bless you and buen Camino.

Ok @DeadFred you will have to change my start date from the 29th Sept to the 23rd Sept as I'm leaving a week earlier! Was worried I wasn't going to have enough time to walk from Lisbon to Santiago as I need to be in Santiago by the 22nd of Oct to meet a friend. Problem solved :p Leaving a week earlier will not only give me time to walk at a comfy pace it will give me a chance to explore Lisbon and other places as well. So excited. :D:D:D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
updated 8/26
August25th -Angelo

August27th - cinimod
August29th- gimpywalker, Cambridge Pilgrim , Tez, Tony Jansen, Damien Reynolds(Irun)

August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake
, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 3rd -Dave 2525, ColeenK, Laelia2 Leandra.Scott, Jane Erasmus, June F, Rain-or-Shine ( Ayako)
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA , Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo, nigeloz, Sheri Campbell
September 8th
, Valgongs,
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,Jennie and her sister Linda, Cathy Mahoney,LakaPaka
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner, Rorik,Vivello, LesBrass (Roncevalles)
September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles), gmonkey(Burgos?/Leon?), JoeNYC ,onelight ,marylynn, SooYunKim, michryan
September 28th
September 29th-
Oct 1st -awakengaime
Here's some interesting Camino stats shared by Johnny Walker for the first 6 months of 2014

Last edited:
Ummm...don't want you to worry... errrr... how do I tell you this?

Syracuse was just voted the "Top Party School" in the U.S. :)
Yes I know when I went to school SUNY at Oneonta, Oneonta had more bars per person then any other college town in America. I think I made it to the other side ok, not sure but I think so. I hope she will be ok or maybe a degree in partying will become available from Syracuse. Now that is a degree you can make money from after school.

I understand you thoughts regarding your mother. My parents have been gone for 20 plus years but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't talk to them. When I walk my first Camino in a few weeks time I will have my mother and father with me side by side. I know they will be happy to walk with me.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just remember to turn their bedroom into an office or better still another bathroom. Remove all traces of their habitation. Welcome them back for holidays with open arms and a mattress on the floor.:)
Regds
Gerard
Great Idea I don't know why I didn't think of it. So will do I will take your advise and turn her bedroom into a man cave.

Hi everyone,

I have been reading posts on this forum for a while now, but this is my first time posting. I have been so extremely indecisive as to if I can do it or not, physically and mentally. But then I thought if not now, when? I will take one step at a time. I will not beat myself up if for some reason I cannot make it to SDC. I believe in the joy of experiencing the journey, rather than reaching the destination. (Having said that, I would really like to get to SDC though!)

I am going to book a train tonight. I will arrive in SJPDP on the 2nd Sep, and will head out on the path on 3rd Sep.
If you see a 30-something Japanese, with heavy Australian accent, that would be me. Please say hi.

Buen camino!
Ayako

Hi everyone,

I have been reading posts on this forum for a while now, but this is my first time posting. I have been so extremely indecisive as to if I can do it or not, physically and mentally. But then I thought if not now, when? I will take one step at a time. I will not beat myself up if for some reason I cannot make it to SDC. I believe in the joy of experiencing the journey, rather than reaching the destination. (Having said that, I would really like to get to SDC though!)

I am going to book a train tonight. I will arrive in SJPDP on the 2nd Sep, and will head out on the path on 3rd Sep.
If you see a 30-something Japanese, with heavy Australian accent, that would be me. Please say hi.

Buen camino!
Ayako

Ayako, you are a young pup compared to many of us Sept. Perigrinos who are in the 60+ group. I'm sure you will be able to do it, no problem. Just start off slow, especially if you haven't been training. "Buen Camino"

Hi everyone,

Buen camino!
Ayako

I there Ayako! .. Nothing like taking that leap of faith, I wish you the best of luck also I second petitewalker's recommendation. Walk Slow plus adding go easy on the backpack weight.

Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It has been the most enormous fun reading all your postings on this thread.

It has been just like watching one's children getting more and more excited and counting the days down to Christmas!

buen camino and I look forward to reading of your progress and all your antics!:)

Keep posting!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Buen camino!
Ayako

Hi Ayako
I start off on the 4th, so I may see you.

David

DeadFred... I'm changing my plan! I'm going to be starting at Roncevalles on the 12th and not SJ... I'm still walking with my husband for the first 2 days so we'll hopefully still see a few folks along the path... I'll be the big old blonde with a red pack... picking her way slowly towards Santiago! :D

p.s. I forgot to say could you pleae update me on the plan :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was a little worried about walking on my own but the night beforeI left, just as I was dropping off to sleep, I was startled to see my sister (who has passed away) walk past me. She was wearing glasses, which I haven't seen her do for years, watching the trail, and was wearing a little blue backpack. I guess I'm not doing it on my own after all.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was a little worried about walking on my own but the night beforeI left, just as I was dropping off to sleep, I was startled to see my sister (who has passed away) walk past me. She was wearing glasses, which I haven't seen her do for years, watching the trail, and was wearing a little blue backpack. I guess I'm not doing it on my own after all.
How wonderful is that. I too have lost love ones but I will be walking the Camino with them. It is comforting to know these love ones are with you always.
Buen Camino

It has been the most enormous fun reading all your postings on this thread.

It has been just like watching one's children getting more and more excited and counting the days down to Christmas!

buen camino and I look forward to reading of your progress and all your antics!:)

Keep posting!
Thanks Bystander.
I'm glad you have enjoyed all our excitement, nervousness, and silly banter. We can all thank DeadFred for starting this thread.:D
Oh and BTW..... I did get the Canon SX280 and though I really haven't had a chance to use it a lot yet, I've spent enough time to feel somewhat comfortable with it and think it is going to work just great on my Camino. Thanks for the tip.
Linda:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Fellow September Walkers! Finally packing! (... and organising dogs, friends, workers and neighbours for my extended absence ...)
My motto this week? "Travel light" and " follow only the white roads" Is all this "organising" and "light" compatable? :rolleyes:
My question to you today: Sleeping bag or proper rain gear?

I did get the Canon SX280 and though I really haven't had a chance to use it a lot yet, I've spent enough time to feel somewhat comfortable with it and think it is going to work just great on my Camino. Thanks for the tip.
Linda:)

Glad to be of help.
Most of the time, unless I am feeling "creative", I leave the camera on the "P" setting with the ISO set at 1600 and the flash on Auto.
Means you can instantly drag the camera out, turn it on and be guaranteed a good picture without "faffing" about as all you have to do is point it in the right direction, zoom or not, compose and snap!

Hi Fellow September Walkers! Finally packing! (... and organising dogs, friends, workers and neighbours for my extended absence ...)
My motto this week? "Travel light" and " follow only the white roads" Is all this "organising" and "light" compatable? :rolleyes:
Hola,
Both sleeping bag n rain gear are must have according to forum inputs. We have to at least carry the minimum of each item, I suppose. Or buy more along the Way.
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
:rolleyes:

Huh? Sleeping bag or liner i know. Poncho or jacket i know, but a choice between sleepinbag or raingear is pretty new to me hahaha...

i choose...pff...uhh, raingear?o_O:confused::D

I have never brought rain gear on any camino and have no plans to do so this time.
I brought a poncho last may and used it twice.
I have a good rain jacket and am very happy with that :)

Ps Sleeping bag is a "yes" in my book

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.