• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2014 Peregrinos

I'll be on my way in just a little over two weeks. I will put my pack together this weekend and begin walking with it to get it adjusted and work out the kinks.

I've decided that the only electronic device I will take is a camera. Nothing fancy but I do not want to be without one if that special moment comes up. After hours of shopping for a journal I decided to pick up a 97 cent one at WalMart this morning. Just something to jot some notes and thoughts in.

Over the past year I have been able to lose about twenty pounds and the muscles in my legs feel like steel bands. But my feet still bark at me from time to time. Bruised heel, arthritic toe, achy tendon ... oh well ... I'll walk fast when I can, take it slow when I have to, bring plenty of ibuprofen and push through. I'm going no matter what. If any of you happy pilgrims come upon an old guy with the initials "RMG" on his pack and sing out a greeting and he doesn't respond with the good nature and enthusiasm you would expect, he is probably hurting that day and just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other.

I wish I knew why I was called to do this. Many reasons come into my head. But the stern reality is that I just know I have to go. Mid life/mortality reflection, mourning the loss of close family members the last ten years, rebirth of my Catholic faith, mental reset from years of technical minutia, ... I don't know.

The preparation for this walk has been a journey. I have become attached to the gentle rhythm of walking. Cold brisk January nights with sleet stinging my cheeks and hot August days that turn my body and clothes into a wet mess. Steep hills that make the heart pound and moments of cool welcomed shade provide simple but profound variations that put me in touch with a part myself that seems different and new but familiar at the same time.

I wish my wife was going with me. She simply has no interest in walking five hundred miles. It is odd that someone I have been married to for thirty five years could be so detached from something that has taken such a strong hold on me. I can only conclude that I am meant to go alone.

Let the pilgrimage and all that it brings begin!

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Glad to be of help.
Most of the time, unless I am feeling "creative", I leave the camera on the "P" setting with the ISO set at 1600 and the flash on Auto.
Means you can instantly drag the camera out, turn it on and be guaranteed a good picture without "faffing" about as all you have to do is point it in the right direction, zoom or not, compose and snap!
Why not A for Auto?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why not A for Auto?

Apologies for trying to confuse you!
There is nothing wrong with A - a good compromise

I had forgotten why I had my camera set up on P in the way I have.
It is because I use my cameras for a lot of a horse sport (Eventing) photography and at 1600 ISO it forces the camera to use a high shutter speed and a small aperture for depth of field.

The weather in St Jean looks promising for the first 5 days in September.
Temps are expected to range from 26-30c (78-86f) with very little chance of rain.

Looking good so.
Check out wunderground.com for more info

i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it, i love it

Aaaaaaaaaaand....relaaaaxxx.....deep breaths Dutch :)

I wish I knew why I was called to do this. Many reasons come into my head. But the stern reality is that I just know I have to go. Mid life/mortality reflection, mourning the loss of close family members the last ten years, rebirth of my Catholic faith, mental reset from years of technical minutia, ... I don't know.

I'm in the same boat. Hopefully the camino will provide us answers.

Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
DeadFred... I'm changing my plan! I'm going to be starting at Roncevalles on the 12th and not SJ... I'm still walking with my husband for the first 2 days so we'll hopefully still see a few folks along the path... I'll be the big old blonde with a red pack... picking her way slowly towards Santiago! :D

p.s. I forgot to say could you pleae update me on the plan :rolleyes:
Go girl !!!! So pleased to see your walking plans. We will be a few days ahead of you but will be taking it slowly so look for our backpacks. We will have two nights in a couple of places so our paths might cross. Buen Camino spirit being sent to you. 4 sleeps......

Go girl !!!! So pleased to see your walking plans. We will be a few days ahead of you but will be taking it slowly so look for our backpacks. We will have two nights in a couple of places so our paths might cross. Buen Camino spirit being sent to you. 4 sleeps......

Sriyantra - I still need the final ok from my doc... and the precious prescription! but I am feeling well and I'm starting to feel confident things will be ok. I will indeed look out for your pack... I'm going to be slow but I do hope our paths cross at some point! I will indeed look out for the packs! :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Peregrino's from this September Group, Yaw'll {{ROCK!}} . I'm going to miss you .

In a way I'm sad that the list has only a several weeks of life left unless we continue through to the completion of our Camino with updates on our progress which would be awesome!

I hope that someone will pickup the List idea for future months to come so others can enjoy the same camaraderie that evolved here . I had NO idea that when I started it that a party was in the making ( Great Idea you have there Gerard,,wish I could be there for the libations) . Maybe Ivar could build off it ?.. ( The list ...not Gerards libation event :) )

updated 8/28
August 23 rd-Geoff Stewart, Allister
August 24th- zolarose asger.me
August25th -Angelo

August 26th - VATom, Pilgrim Midwife, Diegomartine
August27th - cinimod
August 28th - Agnogel, Sami Aaltonen

August29th- gimpywalker, Cambridge Pilgrim , Tez, Tony Jansen, Damien Reynolds(Irun)
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake
, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 1st - gwDelmar , me.andmyshadow, Ahaj, Skudah. OnePerfectStep
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005,Purrrrple Panda , OzAnnie ( Irun), Dutch
September 3rd -Dave 2525, ColeenK, Laelia2 Leandra.Scott, Jane Erasmus, June F, Rain-or-Shine ( Ayako)
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon), el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!) , Jason Loke , DragonflyAnnie & OzJacko, Barabara Teresa Bates( +1), TonyC( Tony & Barbara), ndrea

September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc, WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA , Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo, nigeloz, Sheri Campbell
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantra, DaleKathryn,Pawel,Basquefan1(Le Puy), Paul Pickford

September 7th -Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona ), twobats(John & Tracey ,Pomplona), Halfang, Liz
September 8th
September 9th Monk Moses, taozenqi , mferrara
, Valgongs,
September 10th -Gretchen Hirni, Mary Kate ( Biarritz , Norte) , Carrollnova
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,Jennie and her sister Linda, Cathy Mahoney,LakaPaka
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner, Rorik,Vivello, LesBrass (Roncevalles)
September 13th - Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 14th -Walking Man 06, RogerM, Cate A ,Gardengirl
September 15th -Janet Ellen, Marilyn Russell
September 16th -Jabaldo, Great Dane (Zubiri), twojay54, Janicelee
September 17th- -Zarniwoop, jessica.vthhiker, Kathleen de Montreal
September 18th- nidarosa(Astorga) , drvnsmiln (Fran & Kathy)
September 19th -Holly, ksam, Dennis & Lisa, soleprint(Pomplona), eagleak(6)
September 20th -Jamie Archer, AnnieY, gidivet(Pomplona)
September 21st -Adhemar78,Griffin57(Burgos)
September 22nd –jdpigue ,Seamas O'Muireadhaigh
September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles), gmonkey(Burgos?/Leon?), JoeNYC ,onelight ,marylynn, SooYunKim, michryan
September 24th -Annie Little
September 25th-s4sfamily(Leon), sooh(Pomplona), Daleen Slabbert
September 26th - DeadFred, Bernatchez M
, organflute, Rachel_1981
September 27th - Jgun87, Kristina Wilkening, MileHighPair(2)
September 28th
September 29th-
September 30th-Lockslay , Mr Smirky
Oct 1st -awakengaime
Here's some interesting Camino stats shared by Johnny Walker for the first 6 months of 2014
http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Peregrino's from this September Group, Yaw'll {{ROCK!}} . I'm going to miss you .

In a way I'm sad that the list has only a several weeks of life left unless we continue through to the completion of our Camino with updates on our progress which would be awesome!

I hope that someone will pickup the List idea for future months to come so others can enjoy the same camaraderie that evolved here . I had NO idea that when I started it that a party was in the making ( Great Idea you have there Gerard,,wish I could be there for the libations) . Maybe Ivar could build off it ?.. ( The list ...not Gerards libation event :) )

updated 8/27
August25th -Angelo

August27th - cinimod

August29th- gimpywalker, Cambridge Pilgrim , Tez, Tony Jansen, Damien Reynolds(Irun)
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake
, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005,Purrrrple Panda , OzAnnie ( Irun), Dutch
September 3rd -Dave 2525, ColeenK, Laelia2 Leandra.Scott, Jane Erasmus, June F, Rain-or-Shine ( Ayako)
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon), el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!) , Jason Loke , DragonflyAnnie & OzJacko, Barabara Teresa Bates( +1), TonyC( Tony & Barbara), ndrea
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc, WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA , Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo, nigeloz, Sheri Campbell
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantra, DaleKathryn,Pawel,Basquefan1(Le Puy),
September 7th -Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona ), twobats(John & Tracey ,Pomplona), Halfang, Liz
September 8th
, Valgongs,
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,Jennie and her sister Linda, Cathy Mahoney,LakaPaka
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner, Rorik,Vivello, LesBrass (Roncevalles)
September 13th - Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles), gmonkey(Burgos?/Leon?), JoeNYC ,onelight ,marylynn, SooYunKim, michryan
September 28th
September 29th-
Oct 1st -awakengaime
Here's some interesting Camino stats shared by Johnny Walker for the first 6 months of 2014
It's kinda sad seeing the green list of pilgrims starting off on their Caminos. The list will get shorter as we Sept. Pilgrims begin our trek. I can't agree more on how this group has evolved, but unfortunately I will not have a wifi device, so we won't be able to stay in touch with this thread oncecwe set off. While you won't be able to join us for the libatioms in SJPDP, we will most certainly toast you DeadFred.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Off in 1,5 hours. Inner voice has been bugging me all night with "which lunatic signed me up for this?" :D

See you on the other side!
It's like that movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" where people are drawn to go to Devils Tower in Wyoming, but they don't know why. I love that movie. I have been making the Pyrenees in my mashed potato for years ! (you need to have seen the movie to understand). Buen Camino and may the sun shine on you every step of the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino to you too Jason
You will probably arrive in Ultreia before me.
I am leaving my poncho at home and if the weather gets bad, I will buy one along the way.

Dave

€149,-
Buen Camino to you too Jason
You will probably arrive in Ultreia before me.
I am leaving my poncho at home and if the weather gets bad, I will buy one along the way.

Dave
Hola,
I stay 2 nights at Bordeaux to adjust jetlag before heading out to SJpdp. See if I can get a interesting wine tour in Bordeaux for a day trip.

It's kinda sad seeing the green list of pilgrims starting off on their Caminos. The list will get shorter as we Sept. Pilgrims begin our trek. I can't agree more on how this group has evolved said:
Thanks petitewalker , appreciate that toast! :) Check in after you return home so we can all hear about your Camino

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I'm not much of a poster but have been lurking for a few months now. I've booked a night at Beilari in SJPP on the night of the 5th, and start walking the next morning. I have 40 days thereabouts, so not planning to rush, but no schedule either, basically I'm just going to wing it and see what happens.
I'm a 53 year old Australian and setting out on my own, in the beginning at least. BTW Thanks to all the posters on the forum, the advice has been really useful! Oh and thanks to friend Danny at work, who got me hooked on the whole Camino thing :)
Cheers,
Paul...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,
I'm not much of a poster but have been lurking for a few months now. I've booked a night at Beilari in SJPP on the night of the 5th, and start walking the next morning. I have 40 days thereabouts, so not planning to rush, but no schedule either, basically I'm just going to wing it and see what happens.
I'm a 53 year old Australian and setting out on my own, in the beginning at least. BTW Thanks to all the posters on the forum, the advice has been really useful! Oh and thanks to friend Danny at work, who got me hooked on the whole Camino thing :)
Cheers,
Paul...
Hola Paul,
You may not be great poster material, but you own a nice big Honda superbike and a sizeable freight train. I start on 04Sept. Hope to meet somewhere on the Way.
Buen Camino!

I've been looking for a group for interaction of the Septmember 2014 folks and haven't had much success . Figure I would hop in here and start one , then I would get a ton of emails telling me were at least five such threads dwell . If I don't then , Welcome to the only verified , validated, Ivar approved ( I hope :) ) Camino September 2014 Topic( as of 2/6/2014) . All are welcome of course. Except for the Janurary Pilgrims .. cause something just isn't right if your going in Janurary ( Brrrrr)

Joe here , Arkansas , Heading out and up on the 26th to Orission of the Camino Francis with my wife & son . Ticketed and almost equiped . Oh Boy!.
I've been looking for a group for interaction of the Septmember 2014 folks and haven't had much success . Figure I would hop in here and start one , then I would get a ton of emails telling me were at least five such threads dwell . If I don't then , Welcome to the only verified , validated, Ivar approved ( I hope :) ) Camino September 2014 Topic( as of 2/6/2014) . All are welcome of course. Except for the Janurary Pilgrims .. cause something just isn't right if your going in Janurary ( Brrrrr)

Joe here , Arkansas , Heading out and up on the 26th to Orission of the Camino Francis with my wife & son . Ticketed and almost equiped . Oh Boy!.

Hello,
Debra from Calgary Alberta : I will be arriving in StJPP on August 30th and plan to start walking on September 3rd. It would be great to meet up with others in StJPP to share a pint before leaving. Anyone interested?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In a way I'm sad that the list has only couple weeks of pre-Camino life left unless we continue through to the completion of our Camino with updates on our progress which would be awesome!
updated 8/28

August25th -Angelo

August27th - cinimod

August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake
, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 3rd -Dave 2525, ColeenK, Laelia2 Leandra.Scott, Jane Erasmus, June F, Rain-or-Shine ( Ayako), DQuinn(Debra)
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc, WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA
, Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo, nigeloz, Sheri Campbell
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantra, DaleKathryn,Pawel,Basquefan1(Le Puy), Paul Pickford

September 8th
, Valgongs,
September 28th
September 29th-
Oct 1st -awakengaime

Hello,
Debra from Calgary Alberta : I will be arriving in StJPP on August 30th and plan to start walking on September 3rd. It would be great to meet up with others in StJPP to share a pint before leaving. Anyone interested?

Hi Debra, by any chance are you staying in Orisson?
If so, I may catch up with you! I leave St Jean (along with many others) on the 4th!

I plan to have many a pint...(and vino) on my Camino :)

In a way I'm sad that the list has only couple weeks of pre-Camino life left unless we continue through to the completion of our Camino with updates on our progress which would be awesome!

Fred... thank you for creating and maintaining this thread... I've found it fabulous and already met a few lovely folks that I hope to share some time with along the path. Really this little corner of the forum has lifted my spirits when I've felt a bit glum and I just wanted to say thanks!

I've got a blog... mainly for friends and family. I've told them all that I'll only update my blog and nowhere else... so they all know where to go if they're interested.

I think this is the link... http://camino-brass.blogspot.fr/

I'm off home tomorrow to nurse my blisters and try and track down some new shoes... have a great time everyone!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
DeadFred aka Mort aka Joe-

Ya know... I'm starting only 3 days ahead of you....

aaaaaand.... I'm taking two days to get to Roncevalles.....
aaaaaand..... I'm planning to take a day off in Burgos & Leon....
sooooooo..... if you catch me...... I"LL GLADLY BUY YOU A BEER! :)

Hi everyone,
Cheers,
Paul...
Hi Paul,
My husband and I will start walking from SJPP on the 6th. We will walk to Orisson or Pic, depending on the weather and will taxi back to SJPP for the night, then shuttle bus back up to where we left off on the 7th then on to Roncesvalles. We are in our 60's and will be taking it slowly. Might see you somewhere out there....take care of yourself..... and Buen Camino

To all September Camino walkers - thanks for your sharing of ideas and thoughts and all the practical help advice....

I love the poem Ithaca and it sums up my feelings as we do our final preparations to leave to walk the Camino.

As you set out for Ithaka
hope the voyage is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians and Cyclops,
angry Poseidon—don’t be afraid of them:
you’ll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
Laistrygonians and Cyclops,
wild Poseidon—you won’t encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
May there be many a summer morning when,
with what pleasure, what joy,
you come into harbors seen for the first time;
may you stop at Phoenician trading stations
to buy fine things,
mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
sensual perfume of every kind—
as many sensual perfumes as you can;
and may you visit many Egyptian cities
to gather stores of knowledge from their scholars.

Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you are destined for.
But do not hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you are old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you have gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.

Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you would not have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka won’t have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you will have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.
line.jpg

Translated by Edmund Keeley/Philip Sherrard
(C.P. Cavafy, Collected Poems. Translated by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are interested have a look at
- Sean Connery reciting the poem - I find it very powerful.

Embrace all that you have been through just to get to the starting line of the Camino. May your Camino (Ithaca) be a rich experience.

Buen Camino.....

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fred... thank you for creating and maintaining this thread... I've found it fabulous and already met a few lovely folks that I hope to share some time with along the path. Really this little corner of the forum has lifted my spirits when I've felt a bit glum and I just wanted to say thanks!

I've got a blog... mainly for friends and family. I've told them all that I'll only update my blog and nowhere else... so they all know where to go if they're interested.

I think this is the link... http://camino-brass.blogspot.fr/

I'm off home tomorrow to nurse my blisters and try and track down some new shoes... have a great time everyone!!

Thank You LesBrass! I appreciate that . I hope those blisters stay away .Like you I walked through 3 pair of Columbia Hiking Shoes . Loved them ,, now I can't find any that fit :( ... ordered a pair online and they were to narrow . I now have 2 pair of Keen Boots and they seen to be ok ( so far) . Have a Great Camino Lady and keep us appraised of your adventure !
Joe

DeadFred aka Mort aka Joe-

Ya know... I'm starting only 3 days ahead of you....

aaaaaand.... I'm taking two days to get to Roncevalles.....
aaaaaand..... I'm planning to take a day off in Burgos & Leon....
sooooooo..... if you catch me...... I"LL GLADLY BUY YOU A BEER! :)

Hey Joe .. Chances are great that we will meet up. Beer?.. Heck dude , gotta be more classy than that ... a shot of crown and a beer chaser would be better :) . Wonder if they have Ringold or Yingling tap? :) ( be happy to take you up on that beer btw)

To all September Camino walkers - thanks for your sharing of ideas and thoughts and all the practical help advice....

I love the poem Ithaca and it sums up my feelings as we do our final preparations to leave to walk the Camino.

Buen Camino.....

Wonderful sriyantra,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agnogel,

I'm so happy that your knees are allowing this trip. Best wishes to you! Buen camino!

Mary

I was a little worried about walking on my own but the night beforeI left, just as I was dropping off to sleep, I was startled to see my sister (who has passed away) walk past me. She was wearing glasses, which I haven't seen her do for years, watching the trail, and was wearing a little blue backpack. I guess I'm not doing it on my own after all.
Kiwi-d,

How truly wonderful! Thanks for sharing. :)

Best regards,
Mary

I had NO idea that when I started it that a party was in the making ( Great Idea you have there Gerard,,wish I could be there for the libations)
Joe,

You will be there, in spirit anyway. I know Gerard and Linda and her husband and I will certainly lift our glasses to you and Laurie. You did start a wonderful thing by posting this thread and your wonderful calendar. I imagine many of us feel more easy about starting our pilgrimages with a fellowship (Gerard's word!) begun. Thank you for that, Joe!

Wishing you and Laurie a camino filled with answers to all your questions.

Mary

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Joe,

You will be there, in spirit anyway. I know Gerard and Linda and her husband and I will certainly lift our glasses to you and Laurie. You did start a wonderful thing by posting this thread and your wonderful calendar. I imagine many of us feel more easy about starting our pilgrimages with a fellowship (Gerard's word!) begun. Thank you for that, Joe!

Wishing you and Laurie a camino filled with answers to all your questions.

Mary

Thank you , I certainly will Mary and heavy on that spirit too! As for answers? I rely on Laurie for those , this way I don't have to fuss with burdensome existential questions. ;)

It's been a real pleasure meeting and talking with you , I can tell by your online demeanor that you are a kind caring person . Keep us up to date with your progress if possible , you can check in on us with my blog (below) .. hopefully I can keep it current

Here's one of my favorite Camino Videos .. I think I will try dancing like this ( in Spirit )

Hi Paul,
My husband and I will start walking from SJPP on the 6th. We will walk to Orisson or Pic, depending on the weather and will taxi back to SJPP for the night, then shuttle bus back up to where we left off on the 7th then on to Roncesvalles. We are in our 60's and will be taking it slowly. Might see you somewhere out there....take care of yourself..... and Buen Camino
Ah yes. I couldn't book in Orisson, tried a few weeks ago and was full. I hadn't considered the taxi... Hope to see you on the track :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Debra, by any chance are you staying in Orisson?
If so, I may catch up with you! I leave St Jean (along with many others) on the 4th!

I plan to have many a pint...(and vino) on my Camino :)

You will definitely catch up with me...I am a slow walker. Watch for a purple pack with a Canadian flag...First pint on me ! Bueon Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you , I certainly will Mary and heavy on that spirit too! As for answers? I rely on Laurie for those , this way I don't have to fuss with burdensome existential questions. ;)

It's been a real pleasure meeting and talking with you , I can tell by your online demeanor that you are a kind caring person . Keep us up to date with your progress if possible , you can check in on us with my blog (below) .. hopefully I can keep it current

Here's one of my favorite Camino Videos .. I think I will try dancing like this ( in Spirit )

Now I Can't get that song out of my head. I've been singing it all morning, even at the gym. Thanks Joe!:p

Huh? Sleeping bag or liner i know. Poncho or jacket i know, but a choice between sleepinbag or raingear is pretty new to me hahaha...

i choose...pff...uhh, raingear?o_O:confused::D

I decided on a liner vs. lightweight sleeping bag. Hope I'm going to be OK with that. I'm really trying to keep the weight down. I leave in 10 days :)

:)
( Great Idea you have there Gerard,,wish I could be there for the libations) . Maybe Ivar could build off it ?.. ( The list ...not Gerards libation event :) )
updated 8/28

The libation event by Ivar might work well in Santiago. One more toast to those finishing up their Caminos!!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Joe,

How very politic of you to "rely on Laurie" for answers. :) All husbands should follow your lead. ;)

I read your blog and enjoyed it very much. I love your sense of humor. I hope you keep it up so I can follow you on your camino.

And I love the Happy Pilgrim video. Makes me want to dance my way along the way, too. His bones are a few years younger, though, so we shall see!

Best regards,
Mary

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Only three days till we leave for Spain! My two friends and I hope to meet up with some of you on Sept. 4 in SJPDP!

With all the folks starting out on the 5th, you'll probably trip over some of them! ;)
BTW have a BUEN CAMINO. My hubbie and I are one week behind you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Alright, my backpack is packed, staring at the stack of day-one-clothes. Documents ready, waterproof packed. Shoes all clean and shiny and still 32 hours to go. I guess I must have timing issues :)
I've got ten days before I go and I've practised with my pack for weight and position of items:). But I'm scared to try the full and finished product because it means it's really happening! :eek::confused:
Mary Kate

I've got ten days before I go and I've practised with my pack for weight and position of items:). But I'm scared to try the full and finished product because it means it's really happening! :eek::confused:
Mary Kate
Hola Mary,
Today is the day it gets serious. I am flying out tonight. My pack seems so full. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Everytime I come over and read this thread my stomache does somersaults! When I first decided upon this it seemed to far away... and now you're all leaving and you're off and WOW... it's real! Best wishes to everyone out there walking :D
Hola,
Time spares no one, as we say in the Far East. I finally booked my flight 2 months ago, after waiting futilely for one potential camino partner. Now it is time to leave for the airport. Buen Camino to all Sept peregrinos!

Last edited:
It's September and in just a few days time we will be heading out for the experience of a life time. I am so excited to start and test myself physically. Mentally as well even though I have been preparing for the past year by training, collecting the gear I think I will need and by reading this forum. Out of all of the above the forum has been most lifting. It has keep me focused and has given me inspiration. Thank you to all the members and to those who responded to my questioning. A big thank you to Ivar for developing this forum.
Buen Camino to us all and may God bless each of us.

I'll be on my way in just a little over two weeks. I will put my pack together this weekend and begin walking with it to get it adjusted and work out the kinks.

I've decided that the only electronic device I will take is a camera. Nothing fancy but I do not want to be without one if that special moment comes up. After hours of shopping for a journal I decided to pick up a 97 cent one at WalMart this morning. Just something to jot some notes and thoughts in.

Over the past year I have been able to lose about twenty pounds and the muscles in my legs feel like steel bands. But my feet still bark at me from time to time. Bruised heel, arthritic toe, achy tendon ... oh well ... I'll walk fast when I can, take it slow when I have to, bring plenty of ibuprofen and push through. I'm going no matter what. If any of you happy pilgrims come upon an old guy with the initials "RMG" on his pack and sing out a greeting and he doesn't respond with the good nature and enthusiasm you would expect, he is probably hurting that day and just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other.

The preparation for this walk has been a journey. I have become attached to the gentle rhythm of walking. Cold brisk January nights with sleet stinging my cheeks and hot August days that turn my body and clothes into a wet mess. Steep hills that make the heart pound and moments of cool welcomed shade provide simple but profound variations that put me in touch with a part myself that seems different and new but familiar at the same time.

I wish my wife was going with me. She simply has no interest in walking five hundred miles. It is odd that someone I have been married to for thirty five years could be so detached from something that has taken such a strong hold on me. I can only conclude that I am meant to go alone.

Let the pilgrimage and all that it brings begin!
You are right. We are all called in different ways. I am blessed that my wife is going to be with me as like you I don't know why I am doing this but some thing inside me is telling I better before it is too late. I will look for you along the trail but you will be far ahead of us. In the meantime Buen Camino and may you hear that 100 times a day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

€149,-

€149,-
August25th -Angelo
August27th - cinimod
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake , Kiwi-d(Pamplona )

September 3rd -Dave 2525, ColeenK, Laelia2 Leandra.Scott, Jane Erasmus, June F, Rain-or-Shine ( Ayako), DQuinn(Debra)
September 8th
September 9th Monk Moses, taozenqi , mferrara , Valgongs,
September 26th - DeadFred, Bernatchez M , organflute, Rachel_1981
September 28th
September 29th-
Oct 1st -awakengaime

Last edited:
August25th -Angelo
August27th - cinimod
August 30th -Smtl(+1)

September 8th
September 28th
September 29th-
Oct 1st -awakengaime
[/QUOTE]

Oh no .......... it's gett'n closer.

There are so many of us Sept. Peregrinos getting ready to leave that it would be crazy to wish each and every one of you a "BUEN CAMINO", so here goes BUEN CAMINO to everyone!!!!!!! :):):):):)

You {{Rock!}} petitewalker. I've enjoyed your company on this thread and your reminders to post names to the list :) .. Buen Camino back to you!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh no .......... it's gett'n closer.
You {{Rock!}} petitewalker. I've enjoyed your company on this thread and your reminders to post names to the list :) .. Buen Camino back to you!!

Somewhere over the Atlantic she will be thinking "What am I doing?!? I could be relaxing on Siesta Key Beach!! :confused:

Buen Camino. :)

Somewhere over the Atlantic she will be thinking "What am I doing?!? I could be relaxing on Siesta Key Beach!! :confused:

Buen Camino. :)
Even better ........................... in January 2015 she'll be on Siesta Key Beach or at SKOB reflecting back on an incredibly life altering Camino experience :)

I should post my first comment to this thread, as I arrive in Barcelona 6 Sept, then to Pamplona for a day until I figure out how to get to SJPP and start walking. Only found this forum a few weeks ago and this thread today! Hope I can meet all of you on the road despite your 6mo headstart on this forum.

Still a few logistical questions to get sorted out on other sections of this site, mostly transport and lodging between arrival in Barcelona and waking in SJPP...

I should post my first comment to this thread, as I arrive in Barcelona 6 Sept, then to Pamplona for a day until I figure out how to get to SJPP and start walking. Only found this forum a few weeks ago and this thread today! Hope I can meet all of you on the road despite your 6mo headstart on this forum.

Still a few logistical questions to get sorted out on other sections of this site, mostly transport and lodging between arrival in Barcelona and waking in SJPP...

scottdecker,
Since you just recently found this forum have you considered seeing if Corazon Puro has a bed available? They will pick you up in Pamplona if you spend a night with them and drive you to SJPDP the next morning to start your journey.

Beiliari booked... in 7 days, and with best of luck I'll have crossed the Pyrenees and will be sleeping in Roncesvalles... ay ay ay

€149,-

Welcome aboard Scott......let DeadFred know when you figure out what day you'll be heading up the hill so he can get you on our Calendar list!

You rock too DeadFred. Without your diligence maintaining this thread, we all would have missed out on this FUN. I am so sorry we will miss seeing you on The Way.
BTW, we will be in Santiago on the nights of the 24th,25th and 26th of October before flying to Madrid to catch our plane back to the States. Do you plan to be in Santiago on any of these nights.

You rock too DeadFred. Without your diligence maintaining this thread, we all would have missed out on this FUN. I am so sorry we will miss seeing you on The Way.
BTW, we will be in Santiago on the nights of the 24th,25th and 26th of October before flying to Madrid to catch our plane back to the States. Do you plan to be in Santiago on any of these nights.

Thank you petitewalker.. :)

No plans beyond the 23rd when the plan leaves . If we get to Santiago on these dates I will send out an all point bullentin !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
scottdecker,
Since you just recently found this forum have you considered seeing if Corazon Puro has a bed available? They will pick you up in Pamplona if you spend a night with them and drive you to SJPDP the next morning to start your journey.

What a great service they offer. But my flight arrives in Barcelona at noon Saturday, and the earliest I can arrive in Pamplona by train is 19:20, far later than I would ask an innkeeper for a ride! It appears the Alsa site offers me 5 bus times to get to SJPP on Sunday, so that is a pleasant surprise.

What a great service they offer. But my flight arrives in Barcelona at noon Saturday, and the earliest I can arrive in Pamplona by train is 19:20, far later than I would ask an innkeeper for a ride! It appears the Alsa site offers me 5 bus times to get to SJPP on Sunday, so that is a pleasant surprise.
That would be cool. You could rest for a day in SJPDP and then head out on the 9th with Monk Moses and the gang! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Suddenly there is only one sleep to go before OzJacko and I rise at 3am to get ready for the airport and our 20 hour flight to Madrid. 5 hours on the bus the following day then we finally progress to the last stage to gets u to SJPP on 4 September. Big breath, exhale and let the adventure begin. Mind, body and spirit all in for an overhaul. Hope to meet some of you along The Way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi my sister and i will be starting out from sjpp on 18 of september and staying in orission ,we did our first Camino together in 2009 and have been hooked ever since .Cant wait to meet new friends along the way .

August25th -Angelo
August27th - cinimod
August 30th -Smtl(+1)

September 8th
September 16th -Jabaldo, GreatDane (Bizkaretta (Corazon Puro)), twojay54, Janicelee
September 18th- nidarosa(Astorga) , drvnsmiln (Fran & Kathy) ,Kerrychick

September 28th
September 29th-
Oct 1st -awakengaime

Last edited:
Hello fellow september Amigos,

I will be arriving in Paris 16th september and making my way to st jean through bayonne. I am planning to leave st jean on 20th september and I have my reservation for 20 sept at Orisson.

I look forward to meeting new faces along the way

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.