• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2015 Camino

Greta

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk from Leon in September 2015
Hello Everyone!

I am very happy to have found this forum! I am planning to do my Camino in autumn, September or October. I have 2 weeks and I am going to do the trail from Leon to Santiago. I barely know how to begin, but I am beginning anyway! Seems that I will learn what I need to as I need to...and the path has already started to unfold for me...I am grateful. Any information about doing this trail in autumn would be appreciated.

I am currently reading any books I can find, fictional and actual accounts of the Camino experience. Does anyone have any favourite reads?
Greta

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Welcome to the forum Greta. It is a wealth of information and individual opinion. On the latter note, my personal opinion of one of the best Camino experience books (and I've read MANY) is "All the Good Pilgrims" by Robert Ward, a fellow Canadian.

Good luck with your planning and researching.

Last edited:
Welcome Greta and Buen Camino! I leave from SJPdP on September 7th so I may see you along the way.

Hello

First reply, I think I messed up...but that would be so amazing Mike. It is nice to meet you. Have you ever done the Camino? I am just starting to gather up all my info....there is scertainly a lot to know!

Hello Everyone!

I am very happy to have found this forum! I am planning to do my Camino in autumn, September or October. I have 2 weeks and I am going to do the trail from Leon to Santiago. I barely know how to begin, but I am beginning anyway! Seems that I will learn what I need to as I need to...and the path has already started to unfold for me...I am grateful. Any information about doing this trail in autumn would be appreciated.
Greta
Hola Greta - any welcome to your new family of friends. There are a great many books on the Camino - pop into your local public library and ask the friendly person on the desk. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
Don't worry if you have 100's of questions, just work through a few of the topics on this forum and as you get answers, cross them off. When in two weeks you have it down to 10-15 start posting, concentrating on what you feel are the major issues. Your new "family" will be only too happy to help. Buen Camino:)o_O

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greta - sorry should have included this in the above: start your search on the Frances Camino (just page down from the opening page until you see it); after that go to the Equipment Questions/Resource. Cheers

Welcome to the forum Greta. It is a wealth of information and individual opinion. On the latter note, my personal opinion of one of the best Camino experience books (and I've read MANY) is "All the Good Pilgrims" by Robert Ward, a fellow Canadian.

Thank you! I have just read The psychic and the pilgrim by Jane Christmas and now I am reading The Pilgrimage, by Paulo Coehlo. Yes, so much to learn!

Greta - sorry should have included this in the above: start your search on the Frances Camino (just page down from the opening page until you see it); after that go to the Equipment Questions/Resource. Cheers
Saint Mike II...thank you...I will certainly take your advice. It seems to be a massive store house of information here! Nice to know a good starting point.
I see on your profile you walked the Camino last year...how was it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I enjoyed "I'm Off Then" by Hape Kerkeling (Losing and Finding myself on the Camino de Santiago) published by Free Press. Enjoy your preparation and Camino

I enjoyed "I'm Off Then" by Hape Kerkeling (Losing and Finding myself on the Camino de Santiago) published by Free Press. Enjoy your preparation and Camino
The other book which I wish I had read much earlier is written by S Yates (Forum member)
Pilgrim Tips & Packing List Camino de Santiago: What you need to know beforehand, what you need to take, and what you can leave at home

Greta, have a wonderful time I have walked the past two Septembers the weather was perfect, some hot days some wet days but not really cold, my only advice is have no expectations and therefore no disappointments. Take it slow listen to your body and look around you as you walk stop often and taken in this Camino of yours as it is only yours.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greta, have a wonderful time I have walked the past two Septembers the weather was perfect, some hot days some wet days but not really cold, my only advice is have no expectations and therefore no disappointments. Take it slow listen to your body and look around you as you walk stop often and taken in this Camino of yours as it is only yours.
Thank you. I am very open to the trip and what ever it offers. I feel like fall is the right time for me to go. I looked at all the seasons and it just feels like the right time.
I am walking for two weeks on this trip. I was thinking of starting at Leon. What are your suggestions.

Leon is a lovely starting point, if you have 14 days that does not leave you much time to stay at a place for an extra day as you will be none stop if you follow the John Brierly guide. I saw so many on my trips that were so bent on getting to a point they forgot to take it in there are still a climb or two, my thought would to start at Sarria and enjoy the walk and at least allow a few days in Santiago to soak it up. or start at Pamplona and come back in the future to do other sections. But Leon is a nice place.

Leon is a lovely starting point, if you have 14 days that does not leave you much time to stay at a place for an extra day as you will be none stop if you follow the John Brierly guide. I saw so many on my trips that were so bent on getting to a point they forgot to take it in there are still a climb or two, my thought would to start at Sarria and enjoy the walk and at least allow a few days in Santiago to soak it up. or start at Pamplona and come back in the future to do other sections. But Leon is a nice place.
How far is Sarria from Santiago? That may be a good idea. I was also thinking of starting at Pamplona and going as far as I could or felt like I wanted for the 14 days and pick up where I left off again on another trip.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sarria is 108 klm from Santiago its where a lot of people start (nice town) last time stayed at wonderful alburgue very clean and handy. it will take about 5 days so you could start at o'cereiro in the mountains which would add two days but it was lovely up there as in the morning being above the clouds the mountain tops looked like islands in a sea of mist. Also a beautifull church.

Sarria is 108 klm from Santiago its where a lot of people start (nice town) last time stayed at wonderful alburgue very clean and handy. it will take about 5 days so you could start at o'cereiro in the mountains which would add two days but it was lovely up there as in the morning being above the clouds the mountain tops looked like islands in a sea of mist. Also a beautifull church.
That's sounds fantastic! Thank you for these great ideas!

Hello Everyone!

I am currently reading any books I can find, fictional and actual accounts of the Camino experience. Does anyone have any favourite reads?
Greta
Hi Greta, I have just read "My husband made me do it" by Margaret Wilson..... I enjoyed every page... Its a day by day like a diary.. Some parts are funny, true story...I could only get this book on Kindle or ebook, it cant be bought as a paper back...
Read and Google every thing you think of, wether it be about blisters, drinking water, even the weather at that time. I am doing the Portuguese way 25th August.
This forum is excellent. I have been practice walking 5 to 10km a day 3 times a week and I have done 1, 20km just to see if I could actually do it lol and I did...
I was told to rub your feet with Vaseline (petroleum jelly) This helps prevent blisters and also stopped my feet from getting hot... But you will hear all things and you have plenty of time to find out whats best for you... Practice walking with your pack as well. Wishing you all the best and a fun camino walk...

Bueno Camino ...Debra..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Greta, I have just read "My husband made me do it" by Margaret Wilson..... I enjoyed every page... Its a day by day like a diary.. Some parts are funny, true story...I could only get this book on Kindle or ebook, it cant be bought as a paper back...
Read and Google every thing you think of, wether it be about blisters, drinking water, even the weather at that time. I am doing the Portuguese way 25th August.
This forum is excellent. I have been practice walking 5 to 10km a day 3 times a week and I have done 1, 20km just to see if I could actually do it lol and I did...
I was told to rub your feet with Vaseline (petroleum jelly) This helps prevent blisters and also stopped my feet from getting hot... But you will hear all things and you have plenty of time to find out whats best for you... Practice walking with your pack as well. Wishing you all the best and a fun camino walk...

Bueno Camino ...Debra..
Hi Debra,

Thank you so much, I will download this book, sounds really good, and what I am looking for. All the best for the Portuguese way...I am not familiar with that trail, but will look at it. I was so unaware of all the amazing information and trails and options. I am fairly sure that my upcoming trip will not be my last...I think I am going to start from O'Cebreiro...I have 2 weeks, so this will be a good length to walk in this time. I have begun walking to 'train' for the walk. I am not worried about my knees as much as my hips, they get very sore, yoga helps...I will continue on though!

Bueno Camino,
Greta

Hi Debra,

Thank you so much, I will download this book, sounds really good, and what I am looking for. All the best for the Portuguese way...I am not familiar with that trail, but will look at it. I was so unaware of all the amazing information and trails and options. I am fairly sure that my upcoming trip will not be my last...I think I am going to start from O'Cebreiro...I have 2 weeks, so this will be a good length to walk in this time. I have begun walking to 'train' for the walk. I am not worried about my knees as much as my hips, they get very sore, yoga helps...I will continue on though!

Bueno Camino,
Greta
Hi Greta,

I have just come across a link on You tube called Don't stop walking by Andrew Suzuki... Very interesting I watched series 3... Although I am doing the hotel way
I still find all this general information interesting eg water, lack of toilets, sleeping bags, bed bugs, very helpful tips. Maybe next time I might do the Albergues way but the thought of snorers and bed bugs put me off...
I am reading another book Walking with stones, his journey is like mine.. His wife left him, my husband left me... The next 0ne I will read is Women of they way...
I have a lap top and have the kindle app on here so you can sample books, you get to read about 2/3 chapters if you like you buy.. I also have walking poles they a supposed to help your knees.
Hope you find this helpful.
Bueno Camino.

Buen Camino Greta. Enjoy your trip.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Greta,

I have just come across a link on You tube called Don't stop walking by Andrew Suzuki... Very interesting I watched series 3... Although I am doing the hotel way
I still find all this general information interesting eg water, lack of toilets, sleeping bags, bed bugs, very helpful tips. Maybe next time I might do the Albergues way but the thought of snorers and bed bugs put me off...
I am reading another book Walking with stones, his journey is like mine.. His wife left him, my husband left me... The next 0ne I will read is Women of they way...
I have a lap top and have the kindle app on here so you can sample books, you get to read about 2/3 chapters if you like you buy.. I also have walking poles they a supposed to help your knees.
Hope you find this helpful.
Bueno Camino.

Hi Debra,

Thanks so much for the book ideas...I am going to follow up on them for sure. Yes, I have a Kindle app on my I Pad and I can download these books. I just finished The Pilgrimage, by Paulo Coelho...very good, and not just from the point of view of the Camino but he is very inspiring...and has a bit of a different way of seeing life challenges.

I hope you are doing ok...I have had lots of opportunities and changes (not to mention complete and utter heartbreak) that have come about from relationships going in a different direction than I had planned...I have learned a ton about myself. I wonder how many people have been brought to the Camino because of relationship break down (my guess is a lot)...who knows...maybe it is some kind of spiritual/emotional pre-requisite...LOL!! I suppose if peoples lives were going swimmingly the Camino would not be as busy as it is....regardless, I think that because so many people do go for various reasons, whether it be searching, or healing, or to shake up their lives, it is a sign that people have hope, for themselves and others and for humanity...and to know that we are not alone...far from it!

I was thinking of doing the hotel thing as well...I have some of the same concerns as you do...but was wondering if it would diminish, in some way, my experience of the Camino...did you struggle with that decision? Poles...yes, me to...will be using walking sticks for sure!

Warm wishes,
Greta

Hi Debra,

Thanks so much for the book ideas...I am going to follow up on them for sure. Yes, I have a Kindle app on my I Pad and I can download these books. I just finished The Pilgrimage, by Paulo Coelho...very good, and not just from the point of view of the Camino but he is very inspiring...and has a bit of a different way of seeing life challenges.

I hope you are doing ok...I have had lots of opportunities and changes (not to mention complete and utter heartbreak) that have come about from relationships going in a different direction than I had planned...I have learned a ton about myself. I wonder how many people have been brought to the Camino because of relationship break down (my guess is a lot)...who knows...maybe it is some kind of spiritual/emotional pre-requisite...LOL!! I suppose if peoples lives were going swimmingly the Camino would not be as busy as it is....regardless, I think that because so many people do go for various reasons, whether it be searching, or healing, or to shake up their lives, it is a sign that people have hope, for themselves and others and for humanity...and to know that we are not alone...far from it!

I was thinking of doing the hotel thing as well...I have some of the same concerns as you do...but was wondering if it would diminish, in some way, my experience of the Camino...did you struggle with that decision? Poles...yes, me to...will be using walking sticks for sure!

Warm wishes,
Greta
Good evening, or should I say Bueno Noches,

I am doing the hotel way because the woman I know that's done it and is lending me her pack and poles did it this way..
I have done a fair bit of camping and it can be very uncomfortable, so I tend to go for comfort as I am not I real good sleeper.
But I suppose after I walk 20km I will be happy to sleep any where :)
So no the decision was easy.
I watched the movie The Way and my decision was I want to do this. Yes I am hoping to find the new me. I have struggled for 12mths over him leaving
I want to prove I can live and do things without him. I know on the walk there will be great times but there will also be a lot of crying and grieving
I want to let go of him. Sometimes even now when I walk I sing out loud and then I cry and take a deep breath and get excited I'M ON MY WAY..
This is my journey. I have never been on my own so this is going to be a huge step for me...
My meditation teacher used to say " Om Mane Padme Hum" which means, " Only out of murky waters can a beautiful lotus grow"
Now I know what she was talking about..

Bless you
Deb :):)

Good evening, or should I say Bueno Noches,

I am doing the hotel way because the woman I know that's done it and is lending me her pack and poles did it this way..
I have done a fair bit of camping and it can be very uncomfortable, so I tend to go for comfort as I am not I real good sleeper.
But I suppose after I walk 20km I will be happy to sleep any where :)
So no the decision was easy.
I watched the movie The Way and my decision was I want to do this. Yes I am hoping to find the new me. I have struggled for 12mths over him leaving
I want to prove I can live and do things without him. I know on the walk there will be great times but there will also be a lot of crying and grieving
I want to let go of him. Sometimes even now when I walk I sing out loud and then I cry and take a deep breath and get excited I'M ON MY WAY..
This is my journey. I have never been on my own so this is going to be a huge step for me...
My meditation teacher used to say " Om Mane Padme Hum" which means, " Only out of murky waters can a beautiful lotus grow"
Now I know what she was talking about..

Bless you
Deb :):)
Oh Deb....I hear you so clearly! No mud...no lotus! I to have turned to meditation and eastern Buddist phsycolgy to help me through the grieving and counselling and friends and writing and...and...and...anything I could get my hands on...practising yoga and meditation and authors like Tara Brach...poets like Rumi...Buddist teachers like Pema Chodron...have spoken to me....all these tools have been my teachers when the grief was big as the universe and beyond...and letting go...and acceptance....an impossible mountain to climb. I also saw The Way...probably watched it 10 times on Netflix!! Pointed my feet and heart to the Camino!
I just did not see my life like this....I had a whole other plan for it...but that's good...because I have realized I really wasn't as happy as I thought I was....I really have discovered and keep discovering so much about who I am and what I can do for myself and others. The richness, inner wisdom and strength!
The path is the goal...."All the way to heaven is heaven". I sometimes feel like I am one of the lucky ones...to have been awakened...to feel the deep pain and grief....and also the immense joy of life....sometimes all at the same time!

It is good to know you my friend.
Namaste and blessings,
Greta

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Everyone!

Greta

Hello, Greta!

I'm going to be a new pilgrim this year too, and have bought my tickets! I leave September 28th, and fly to Madrid. My return will be 14 November, so I've given myself all sorts of time to get there, go on my journey, and then return.

My only challenge, really, is flying; I do not like to admit it, but I am a bit afraid of it. To that end, I try to stay calm, and medicate :) It works for me....

Perhaps we shall meet on your wonderful journey!

Deb (another Deb!)

Hi Greta,
How are you ? I have had an ear infection so I haven't been doing much walking. However I am back into it in the last 3 days I have done, 8km 5km and 14km.
Tomorrow I am catching up with my sisters who have kindly said they will walk with me 7km. lol I have just seen the weather for tomorrow and it says rain and thunder
I think the sisters will chicken out on walk :( I agree I have felt deep pain and grief and I know I am going to get a great lot of joy from this walk. My ex is in my head still
but not like it used to be, and I am sure if I was not so engrossed in this trip I would still be stuck in last years life...But planning this trip has certainly given me a new thing to think about. Any way I have been doing a lot of research there is always something new to find. I found about a man that has motor neuron disease an his 2 friends push him in a wheel chair. Its called "ill push you" the video I watch went for about 20min. You can you tube or face book it...

Namaste my friend
Debra:)

Hello Deb, Pleased to meet you. For 10yrs I was with what I thought was the man of my life. We did everything together and we travelled every year over seas
for our annual yearly holiday. He did everything from carrying the money, passports telling me how to fill out immigration forms and what to sign I just followed him like a puppy.
So when he left me last year I was lost. Cut a long story short I went to Phuket with 4 other ladies and I had to do everything on my own, we had to sit apart on plane so I was on my own. When the plane took of I cried 1 reason I missed him and 2 I thought how the hell am I going to do this....BUT NOW I am flying from Australia to Santiago with 3 stop overs on the way. It freaked me out at first but once I really got into practicing walking long distances which I can do and researching I haven't really thought about the flights. When I fly, and the plane is about to take off I always call on my guides and angels and as them to be with me and keep me safe and when the plane lands I ALWAYS thank them.. Hope this helps .

Namaste Deb:)

Hello Deb, Pleased to meet you. For 10yrs I was with what I thought was the man of my life. We did everything together and we travelled every year over seas
for our annual yearly holiday. He did everything from carrying the money, passports telling me how to fill out immigration forms and what to sign I just followed him like a puppy.
So when he left me last year I was lost. Cut a long story short I went to Phuket with 4 other ladies and I had to do everything on my own, we had to sit apart on plane so I was on my own. When the plane took of I cried 1 reason I missed him and 2 I thought how the hell am I going to do this....BUT NOW I am flying from Australia to Santiago with 3 stop overs on the way. It freaked me out at first but once I really got into practicing walking long distances which I can do and researching I haven't really thought about the flights. When I fly, and the plane is about to take off I always call on my guides and angels and as them to be with me and keep me safe and when the plane lands I ALWAYS thank them.. Hope this helps .

Namaste Deb:)

Debra:

You are going to be just fine! I lived in Cambodia for several years, but never made it to Phuket. Ko Lipe and Ko Phangan, yes, but not Phuket. We have a special way of pronouncing that place name (we expats, ha ha!).

I'm sorry your heart was broken, but losing him sounds liberating. I'm glad you got "lost" so now you can find your wonderful self!

Plane travel: I have some lucky things I do before I give my control up, but essentially, I also realize that driving my car is much more dangerous and yet I do it daily. I have flown back and forth between LAX and BKK Thailand so many times that I should be used to flying, but I have never enjoyed it. Some of the foreign flights were especially interesting, eg. co-pilots with a fifth of vodka, et cetera.

Proud of you. Stay strong, and Buen 'sisters are doing it for themselves' Camino.....

The other Deb

Last edited:
Hello, Greta!

I'm going to be a new pilgrim this year too, and have bought my tickets! I leave September 28th, and fly to Madrid. My return will be 14 November, so I've given myself all sorts of time to get there, go on my journey, and then return.

My only challenge, really, is flying; I do not like to admit it, but I am a bit afraid of it. To that end, I try to stay calm, and medicate :) It works for me....

Perhaps we shall meet on your wonderful journey!

Deb (another Deb!)
Hi Deb,
You have a nice long time for your trip...that is so nice. I will have 2 weeks and plan on starting in El Cebrero. I will return again to do the whole trail....maybe in retirement.

Flying can be nerve racking and it is all part of this journey isn't it? Meeting our fears the best we can with any tools that help...it is not stopping you and that is the main thing...way yo go...that is fantastic!

I am going to fly into Madrid as well. And take the train to the start of my trek. How is your training going?

Keep in touch.
Cheers!
Greta

Hi Greta,
How are you ? I have had an ear infection so I haven't been doing much walking. However I am back into it in the last 3 days I have done, 8km 5km and 14km.
Tomorrow I am catching up with my sisters who have kindly said they will walk with me 7km. lol I have just seen the weather for tomorrow and it says rain and thunder
I think the sisters will chicken out on walk :( I agree I have felt deep pain and grief and I know I am going to get a great lot of joy from this walk. My ex is in my head still
but not like it used to be, and I am sure if I was not so engrossed in this trip I would still be stuck in last years life...But planning this trip has certainly given me a new thing to think about. Any way I have been doing a lot of research there is always something new to find. I found about a man that has motor neuron disease an his 2 friends push him in a wheel chair. Its called "ill push you" the video I watch went for about 20min. You can you tube or face book it...

Namaste my friend
Debra:)
Hi Deb

Hope you are feeling better! Good that you are back at the training and getting some support from your sisters...that is nice...even if they chicken out...can't say you didn't try!!

I have been doing some 5 km and one 14 km walks but with no back pack. It is still very early in the training for me. I will get more serious soon.
It is Easter Sunday here today and i am making a big dinner....but as with many things these days my heart is not in it...but I am doing it anyway...I just want to walk these days. It's good for me. I know that.
It takes a long time to heal and maybe longer as we age. Lots of fears of the future and a real reluctance to stay with what is. I stay in the present kicking and screaming sometimes!!! I have to keep reminding myself that this to shall pass...nothing is permanent not heartache and not joy...take care my friend.

Huge hug!
Greta

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh Deb....I hear you so clearly! No mud...no lotus! I to have turned to meditation and eastern Buddist phsycolgy to help me through the grieving and counselling and friends and writing and...and...and...anything I could get my hands on...practising yoga and meditation and authors like Tara Brach...poets like Rumi...Buddist teachers like Pema Chodron...have spoken to me....all these tools have been my teachers when the grief was big as the universe and beyond...and letting go...and acceptance....an impossible mountain to climb. I also saw The Way...probably watched it 10 times on Netflix!! Pointed my feet and heart to the Camino!
I just did not see my life like this....I had a whole other plan for it...but that's good...because I have realized I really wasn't as happy as I thought I was....I really have discovered and keep discovering so much about who I am and what I can do for myself and others. The richness, inner wisdom and strength!
The path is the goal...."All the way to heaven is heaven". I sometimes feel like I am one of the lucky ones...to have been awakened...to feel the deep pain and grief....and also the immense joy of life....sometimes all at the same time!

It is good to know you my friend.
Namaste and blessings,
Greta

This is very touching Greta.

So many people are drawn to The Camino as a means to help them with a loss in their lives. But when coupled with the often exhausting physicality of the walk itself, mental turmoil can be a heavy load to bear day in and day out.

We plan ahead for so many aspects of the journey, including how we will care for our body (reducing pack weight, hydration, blisters, heat, bed bugs, etc.), but often overlook how we will care for our heart/mind. Since you are drawn to Buddhist philosophy, I'd like to suggest that you consider downloading some audio files that you find helpful or inspirational, so that you can listen to them now and again along The Way when the mental going gets tough. There are many websites from which you can download talks and lectures, and guided meditations.

Last edited:
Hi Deb,
You have a nice long time for your trip...that is so nice. I will have 2 weeks and plan on starting in El Cebrero. I will return again to do the whole trail....maybe in retirement.

Flying can be nerve racking and it is all part of this journey isn't it? Meeting our fears the best we can with any tools that help...it is not stopping you and that is the main thing...way yo go...that is fantastic!

I am going to fly into Madrid as well. And take the train to the start of my trek. How is your training going?

Keep in touch.
Cheers!
Greta

Hi Greta!

Training is good. I usually do longish hikes (8-9 miles, not that long) with the pack on with no ill effects now except general tiredness. That's good. I did a 90-minute Zumba class on Friday that really wore me out, so this weekend finds me doing a lot of very basic home chores. I've decided to take it easy physically this weekend, in other words.

In the summer (I retire June 10th!) I'll be stepping up training big time. I typically get very fit during summer, then the school year kicks my backside and I am less healthy. This year, I'm getting a jump on the health program, and am really excited about that!

I'll also be taking the train to Pamplona--to Atoche Train station from Madrid, then train up--and next, I'll have Corazon Puro pick me up. They'll run me up the road to their guest house and then to SJPP the following morning. That will be 30 September. I will probably hang out in SJPP for the day, spend the night, and start my walk on 1 October. I think that given the amount of time I've spent thinking about SJPP, I owe it a day and night, don't you? I want to take photos of those sweet, cobblestone-looking streets, and the pretty bridge. I want to know the town, see the various shops, look around and just kind of savor the experience. No rush!

Deb, your new Camino friend <3

Thank you! I have just read The psychic and the pilgrim by Jane Christmas and now I am reading The Pilgrimage, by Paulo Coehlo. Yes, so much to learn!
Hi Greta,
Just put Coehlo's book behind you (unless you are looking for some sword) and read the other recommendations. How exciting that you are planning a Camino. I plan to start after week 2 in September from St. Jean. This will be a completely new experience. I hear it is life-changing. My best to you, fellow traveler.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Deb

Hope you are feeling better! Good that you are back at the training and getting some support from your sisters...that is nice...even if they chicken out...can't say you didn't try!!

I have been doing some 5 km and one 14 km walks but with no back pack. It is still very early in the training for me. I will get more serious soon.
It is Easter Sunday here today and i am making a big dinner....but as with many things these days my heart is not in it...but I am doing it anyway...I just want to walk these days. It's good for me. I know that.
It takes a long time to heal and maybe longer as we age. Lots of fears of the future and a real reluctance to stay with what is. I stay in the present kicking and screaming sometimes!!! I have to keep reminding myself that this to shall pass...nothing is permanent not heartache and not joy...take care my friend.

Huge hug!
Greta
Hi beautiful Greta,
It is easter monday night now, and my sisters and I + brother 2 nieces and nieces boyfriend did the walk which was 7.6km... We walked through the out back bush wow was that hard, very narrow tracks some where motor bikes had been through when it was wet and muddy so the feet and ankles got a beating. So I'm thinking 20km is going to be bit harder than I thought. So on a non working weekend I plan to do 20km 2 days in a row phew. Also nearly 2yrs ago I broke my left ankle in 2 places ending up with a plate on the outside and a big screw on the inside. So that is why I have to do a lot of walking to see how it holds up and I think all will be good. As soon as I got home epsom salt bath lol.
Do you mind if I ask, did your husband leave you ??? I to have done a lot of crying and screaming and this time last year I was very close to ending it all, but I love my children to much and I will get through this, and your right its a slow process but it will pass, and yes the heart is not so painful now... I had my 2 children, daughter in law and 2 grand kids over for tea saturday night so that was fabulous.

Aussie hugs for you xoxo
Deb..

Debra:

You are going to be just fine! I lived in Cambodia for several years, but never made it to Phuket. Ko Lipe and Ko Phangan, yes, but not Phuket. We have a special way of pronouncing that place name (we expats, ha ha!).

I'm sorry your heart was broken, but losing him sounds liberating. I'm glad you got "lost" so now you can find your wonderful self!

Plane travel: I have some lucky things I do before I give my control up, but essentially, I also realize that driving my car is much more dangerous and yet I do it daily. I have flown back and forth between LAX and BKK Thailand so many times that I should be used to flying, but I have never enjoyed it. Some of the foreign flights were especially interesting, eg. co-pilots with a fifth of vodka, et cetera.

Proud of you. Stay strong, and Buen 'sisters are doing it for themselves' Camino.....

The other Deb

The other Deb :cool:
Phuket, yep I know what you mean :D

I don't enjoy flying as I can never sleep on planes so it just seems to take forever, but the landing is always good.
Just keep researching and google every question you think of ... I'm up till midnight some times reading and looking a videos...
And of course ask questions on this forum you will get lots of help..

Your Camino sister Deb...

The other Deb :cool:
Phuket, yep I know what you mean :D

I don't enjoy flying as I can never sleep on planes so it just seems to take forever, but the landing is always good.
Just keep researching and google every question you think of ... I'm up till midnight some times reading and looking a videos...
And of course ask questions on this forum you will get lots of help..

Your Camino sister Deb...

To be honest, I've researched since September 2014 and am now forcing myself to back away and let some time pass. I am geared up, and currently working on dropping some kilos and increasing my fitness level!

I will be absent from this forum for awhile, in order to focus on some other things, but wanted to check back and say hello to my Camino sister Deb!

Hi beautiful Greta,
It is easter monday night now, and my sisters and I + brother 2 nieces and nieces boyfriend did the walk which was 7.6km... We walked through the out back bush wow was that hard, very narrow tracks some where motor bikes had been through when it was wet and muddy so the feet and ankles got a beating. So I'm thinking 20km is going to be bit harder than I thought. So on a non working weekend I plan to do 20km 2 days in a row phew. Also nearly 2yrs ago I broke my left ankle in 2 places ending up with a plate on the outside and a big screw on the inside. So that is why I have to do a lot of walking to see how it holds up and I think all will be good. As soon as I got home epsom salt bath lol.
Do you mind if I ask, did your husband leave you ??? I to have done a lot of crying and screaming and this time last year I was very close to ending it all, but I love my children to much and I will get through this, and your right its a slow process but it will pass, and yes the heart is not so painful now... I had my 2 children, daughter in law and 2 grand kids over for tea saturday night so that was fabulous.

Aussie hugs for you xoxo
Deb..

Hello brave and beautiful Aussie friend!

Your training sounds intense!! You should be well prepared come September! When you say the outback...you mean the outback outback!!! I would say that is a fantastic training ground!! And for your family...that is awesome...my daughter will come for a 3 km walk on a sidewalk once in a blue moon...that is the extent of my training support...lol!!

By the way...it is nice to see that you take good care of yourself after beating yourself up on your walk!!! Lol!! ..Epsom baths...very nice! I hope your ankle responds well for you. Laugh lots with those grandkids!

I wanted to mark all of this for myself somehow...that is when the Camino started to come into my conscious thoughts...and now I am making the plan to go!

Hugs and warmest wishes!
G

Last edited:
To be honest, I've researched since September 2014 and am now forcing myself to back away and let some time pass. I am geared up, and currently working on dropping some kilos and increasing my fitness level!

I will be absent from this forum for awhile, in order to focus on some other things, but wanted to check back and say hello to my Camino sister Deb!
Be well Deb.
Greta

This is very touching Greta.

So many people are drawn to The Camino as a means to help them with a loss in their lives. But when coupled with the often exhausting physicality of the walk itself, mental turmoil can be a heavy load to bear day in and day out.

We plan ahead for so many aspects of the journey, including how we will care for our body (reducing pack weight, hydration, blisters, heat, bed bugs, etc.), but often overlook how we will care for our heart/mind. Since you are drawn to Buddhist philosophy, I'd like to suggest that you consider downloading some audio files that you find helpful or inspirational, so that you can listen to them now and again along The Way when the mental going gets tough. There are many websites from which you can download talks and lectures, and guided meditations.
Thank you. One podcast I have listened to for years and will be taking with me is Tara Brach. She is an incredible teacher and speaker. Very wise...
Cheers
Greta

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello brave and beautiful Aussie friend!

Your training sounds intense!! You should be well prepared come September! When you say the outback...you mean the outback outback!!! I would say that is a fantastic training ground!! And for your family...that is awesome...my daughter will come for a 3 km walk on a sidewalk once in a blue moon...that is the extent of my training support...lol!!

The relationship I was in was ended by me in response to his betrayal. The wound of the betrayal was deep and wide and most difficult to accept...(that is an understatement if ever I heard one!!) A grief the size of the universe was unleashed in me...a lifetime of 'un'grieved losses....I had some very intense moments like you where I wondered if I was going make it...or even wanted to...but I stayed with it. I remember the first morning I woke up and the grief was not the first thing on my mind and in my body...what a day that was!
I have learned now, to listen and trust in my own body and what happens when I ignore it. We really do hold all wisdom and love we need within us. Somewhere along the way we forget that or are taught not to value it.

By the way...it is nice to see that you take good care of yourself after beating yourself up on your walk!!! Lol!! ..Epsom baths...very nice! I hope your ankle responds well for you. Laugh lots with those grandkids!

I wanted to mark all of this for myself somehow...that is when the Camino started to come into my conscious thoughts...and now I am making the plan to go!

Hugs and warmest wishes!
G
Bueno dias G,

Do you know if there is a way we could exchange emails without the the whole world knowing...

My niece lives on 5 acres and is surrounded by bush. So its a lot of trees and tracks no desert lol some of it we walked is a national park.
There a main roads near by yes you could get lost but you wouldn't be far from a main road... My sisters range from 65 to 70 yrs. This morn the sides of my legs are very sore and my lower back but I should be right once I get up and start moving around.. I will be walking wilson my dog to the post office this morn. Today is cool 16 degrees so I think it will be a brisk walk;)
I plan to have the Camino shell and Camino 2015 tattooed on the inside of my wrist when I get back...

Positive thinking always move forward we can do it..
Deb xo 002.jpg Wilson

Bueno dias G,

Do you know if there is a way we could exchange emails without the the whole world knowing...

My niece lives on 5 acres and is surrounded by bush. So its a lot of trees and tracks no desert lol some of it we walked is a national park.
There a main roads near by yes you could get lost but you wouldn't be far from a main road... My sisters range from 65 to 70 yrs. This morn the sides of my legs are very sore and my lower back but I should be right once I get up and start moving around.. I will be walking wilson my dog to the post office this morn. Today is cool 16 degrees so I think it will be a brisk walk;)
I plan to have the Camino shell and Camino 2015 tattooed on the inside of my wrist when I get back...

Positive thinking always move forward we can do it..
Deb xo View attachment 17596 Wilson
Hahaha...just saw Wilson's picture...So cute!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.