• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2023

griffy

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
I’m a middle aged female newbie starting to plan a 3 week solo walk starting in León heading to Santiago and possibly the coast after that. I’m from the west coast of Canada and thinking of flying into Madrid and then making my way to Leon from there. I’m not set on this route so I’m open to other suggestions. Any advice and must see places for me?
Thanks in advance for your input.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome!
I think most of the readers here would like to know the following:
Is it important to you to get a Compostela or Certificate of distance?
Do you have any experience with long walks, hikes, runs, in nature and weather?
Do you have an exercise program, or are you starting one?
Do you get your inner energies from being with people, from solo contemplation, or from a mix?
What do you like to see? Art? Churches? Vistas? Sea? Hills?

We can comment with much greater alacrity then. 😉

Buen Camino

Howdy! From Louisville, KY USA. I’m also planning a Sept trip on the Camino Frances. The only question I have is about weather in northern Spain in the fall. Any specific recommendations?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
WS, there's lots of comments about weather in the fall...many more than I could summarize. ;) Does the search function for this forum work for you?

Howdy! From Louisville, KY USA. I’m also planning a Sept trip on the Camino Frances. The only question I have is about weather in northern Spain in the fall. Any specific recommendations?
WeatherSpark is a good website for weather pattern information.

Welcome!
I think most of the readers here would like to know the following:
Is it important to you to get a Compostela or Certificate of distance?
Do you have any experience with long walks, hikes, runs, in nature and weather?
Do you have an exercise program, or are you starting one?
Do you get your inner energies from being with people, from solo contemplation, or from a mix?
What do you like to see? Art? Churches? Vistas? Sea? Hills?

We can comment with much greater alacrity then. 😉

Buen Camino
Thank you for your follow up questions. Here are my answers
Getting the Compostela is not important to me
In terms of experience I have not done long walks but I regularly hike/walk an average of 10 km a day. I am fit and a previous competitive athlete.
I think I get my inner energies from a combination of both solo and community
I am drawn to landscape, sea and culture.

I am curious to know how busy it is in September. I would prefer to not prebook all my accommodations. I’m thinking of going for 3 weeks in the middle of September.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And thank you for your openess.

I have not walked that distance in that month, but the Buen Camino guide seems to allot about 12-13 days from Leon to Santiago, traveling between 20-28 km/ day. From Santiago to Finisterre looks like 3-4 more days. You are likely to have opportunities for both solitude and company, particularly if you don't stay in the traditional "stage" towns.

I loved the scenery in many parts between Sarria and Santiago...especially in the early days, I felt as if my husband and I had been dropped onto a Lord of the Rings set outside the Shire. Unfortunately for us, most of the churches along the way were closed (Covid and not many priests). We weren't in a large town until Santiago, so I can't comment on Leon.

And at this point, hopefully our much more experienced pilgrims will comment.

Buen Camino!

Thank you for your follow up questions. Here are my answers
Getting the Compostela is not important to me
In terms of experience I have not done long walks but I regularly hike/walk an average of 10 km a day. I am fit and a previous competitive athlete.
I think I get my inner energies from a combination of both solo and community
I am drawn to landscape, sea and culture.

I am curious to know how busy it is in September. I would prefer to not prebook all my accommodations. I’m thinking of going for 3 weeks in the middle of September.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
One thing that comes to mind is that the walk from Leon to Santiago isn't going to give you much (any, really) sea.

A possible alternative for a three week Camino is one from Porto in Portugal, along the Senda Litoral route, possibly with the Spiritual Variant. If you have the time and desire, when you reach Santiago you can continue on to FInisterre/Muxia. That will give you a fair amount of time by the ocean and exposure to both Portuguese and Spanish cultures.

Pre-booking will probably not be necessary in September.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.