• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September pilgrimages on Camino Frances

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

September 2016 will set records, beating the last Holy Year and last year's record September numbers. The number of September compostelas will be about equal to the number of June compostelas.

September is no longer a convenient month for walking. There are enough albergue beds for the solo traveler, but private rooms have all but disappeared to advance booking. My informal tally for day walkers and backpackers has about 60% of the pilgrims using a baggage service.

The issue is not who is a real pilgrim. The athletic component of a camino has disappeared for a lot of pilgrims. Since it was always a bit of an artifice, it now is part of a self-imposed suffering, competition, or challenge shared by fewer pilgrims. The issue is how the backpacking pilgrim accommodates the changed demographics of the pilgrimage.

I suppose that we should have seen it coming. When the Correos began to compete with Jacotrans, the handwriting was on the wall. There was money in it, more money than selling a few postage stamps. The savvy analysts and planners in the government saw the opportunity -- pilgrims wanted less suffering and more convenience. Once the backpacks were just packs without the back, we should have seen that the private accommodations would find the easiest route to success, taking reservations. Virtually everyone now takes reservations except parochial and municipal albergues, and even that might change.

In the Forum the symptoms are everywhere. Questions about the easiest route, best travel agents, how to book in advance, who will transport bags on a particular route, etc. show the changed demographic. Everyone wants to experience the pilgrimage, but many are also looking for the path of least resistance. Comments lamenting not finding a camino family because of staying in private rooms are part of the schizoid expectation of not working hard, but wanting the full monty of a camino.

Pilgrims still can have whatever type of pilgrimage they want, but some walks will take more effort, inconvenience, discomfort, and risk than others. It is useless to lament the good old days or disparage others' choices. It is useful for the pilgrim trying for a more old fashioned pilgrimage to know what to expect.

It is still fun! First timers should probably avoid expectations based on tales from the past. Repeaters should not try to repeat a previous experience; it is really crowded out there.

September is no longer a prime month to go, when the number of pilgrims decreases and the weather is still quite nice.

You cannot control the weather or the number of pilgrims. The camino will not adapt to you. You need to adapt to the camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A note gushes (somewhat ironically, I think) about how good is the Camino business: better than Disneylandia, and "the best tourism business in the world".
Basically; no need of marketing, the customer never complains, little investment, high returns.
http://www.cerodosbe.com/es/destino...or-negocio-turistico-del-mundo_15255_102.html

The president of the Xunta of Galicia concurs: 2016 is in the the way (literally) to be one of the best years for Camino business.
http://cronicaglobal.elespanol.com/...onario-de-la-mano-de-francisco_32237_102.html

Real estate brokers have noticed the trend: albergues (or houses in the Camino that could be adapted as albergues) are moving well in the market:
http://casas.trovit.es/albergue-camino-santiago

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A note gushes (somewhat ironically, I think) about how good is the Camino business: better than Disneylandia, and "the best tourism business in the world".
Basically; no need of marketing, the customer never complains, little investment, high returns.
http://www.cerodosbe.com/es/destino...or-negocio-turistico-del-mundo_15255_102.html

The president of the Xunta of Galicia concurs: 2016 is in the the way (literally) to be one of the best years for Camino business.
http://cronicaglobal.elespanol.com/...onario-de-la-mano-de-francisco_32237_102.html

Real estate brokers have noticed the trend: albergues (or houses in the Camino that could be adapted as albergues) are moving well in the market:
http://casas.trovit.es/albergue-camino-santiago

I started walking sept 1, indeed there are a lot of pilgrims on the CF.
A few places, long line up to get into the Albergues.
In general the Albergues open at 13:00, some of the private ones will let you in, if they completed the cleaning, I noticed those Albergues run by volunteers/ hospitaleros/as, will not let you in before 13:00 although the facility is ready. They will let the pilgrims line up and wait outside.
This is not in the spirit of welcoming the pilgrims.

So falcon269, what were the year to date numbers for September as compared to last year?

Seem to remember that the trend has slowed down to only 4% at the end of August.

In general the Albergues open at 13:00, some of the private ones will let you in, if they completed the cleaning, I noticed those Albergues run by volunteers/ hospitaleros/as, will not let you in before 13:00 although the facility is ready. They will let the pilgrims line up and wait outside.

I think they need their ( short) rest before the next onslaught?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Compared with the last holy year, there are 3287 more pilgrims received a Compostela this September.
And till now there are 8231 more pilgrims received a Compostela compared to 2010.
Wish you all well, Peter.

Taking care of ones needs, physical, emotional and spiritual quite probably allows these volunteer angels to be welcoming and accommodating the rest of the day and night. Complaining about volunteers .... Never mind, I don't want to get booted off the forum.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well isn't it wonderful for Spain and perhaps all those people come back home blessed and inspired...perhaps healed so people should be rejoicing.

Addendum: To those who view my comment as criticism of someone's pilgrimage, that is not what I said. Without sugar coating it, I am saying that baggage service has changed the experience over the last decade. Pilgrims without backpacks have an impact on those who are carrying their equipment. Backpacking pilgrims need to know that they will not have a pilgrimage like one ten years ago, and I am advising them to understand that and make the accommodations in attitude and planning for reality, not history. Everyone is entitled to do it their own way within very broad limits, but there is no escaping the fact that baggage service is having a huge impact on the experience. Last week I watched a man who weighed at least 350 pounds limp along the line to get his compostela. I do not think I can imagine how difficult it was for him, and how proud he must be. I also cannot imagine that he carried a backpack! I wouldn't in his circumstances. I admire his achievement even as I see how his choice as part of a collective choice of similarly minded pilgrims has an impact on others. I share my opinion and hope it helps other prospective pilgrims learn. Not all criticism is judgemental. I intend mine to be descriptive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I always hike/walk with my hiking bag. I intend to do so when I do the camino - I will not be worrying about taking the kitchen sink with me I intend to rough it - I will not be packing my channel etc. Those who walk without their backpacks choose that option - for me it's cheating. Then - I am able bodied and some may really need help. I have not done the camino before but I have done very tough hikes before where one had to carry not only ones toilet paper, towel,all that stuff but enough food and water for days - you know how heavy tinned food is??? I will be the one washing my clothes each night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well I always hike/walk with my hiking bag. I intend to do so when I do the camino - I will not be worrying about taking the kitchen sink with me I intend to rough it - I will not be packing my channel etc. Those who walk without their backpacks choose that option - for me it's cheating. Then - I am able bodied and some may really need help. I have not done the camino before but I have done very tough hikes before where one had to carry not only ones toilet paper, towel,all that stuff but enough food and water for days - you know how heavy tinned food is??? I will be the one washing my clothes each night.[/QUOT

Kate, unless you have empirical experience at an endeavor like this, for your own sake don't underestimate adapting to what you will be going through, doing your laundry is just the start, the beginning transition humbles everyone and I can say this as a very fit climber. The surfaces will torment your feet, and there is no getting around the chronic trauma each day brings. Good luck

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm unclear how someone else's choice of transportation for their pack or themselves alters my experience if I choose to walk and carry my packo_O
what am I missing? the same places that in the misty days of our fabled past did not take reservations still do not take reservations. Private albergues have sprung up in addition to the muni and parochial...and like any business they do what is best for business. If someone wants to book ahead, ship their pack, or wear a tutu, it does not affect my choice and experience. If I fear the muni and parochial albergues will fill before I get there, I can choose to stop sooner or book a private albergue ahead or get a hotel room where I choose to stop or walk a different route or time or....[edit: overcrowding has nothing to do with pack transport services, but those who carry packs seem often to blame it for overcrowding...not sure why]

the 'camino family' I consider an urban legend. It is not just those staying in hotels/pensions who have mourned not 'finding their family.' I blame the movie, and sometimes this forum, for building up that expectation. A shy person will not magically make friends out of strangers easily on the camino compared to any where else. That complaint has nothing to do with the camino itself, or changing times, but unreasonable expectations.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also want to talk about the numbers for a minute. There have been a lot of threads about the increase and what could it mean. I think looking at forum member profiles gives a clue. Each year there are new walkers, and return walkers. with each successive year the total number of walkers will increase, and I would not expect the rise to be linear. At some point return walkers lose interest or die, but the population is increasing, and each wave of pilgrims in increased numbers in turn tells more people about the experience. This does not take into account the even greater bumps of Holy Years in Santiago. Tied to this is a lagging economy in Spain...not a great time to start a new albergue. That the road is getting more crowded should be no surprise, how we react to it is up to us.

I also don't think even if the numbers remained unbelievably static, and no one ever used pack transport, would anyone's second or subsequent camino be like their first (or last). Everything changes, including our perception of the camino. We should be expecting (and I would say, welcoming) change; trying for a past experience is in my opinion not going to be very satisfying.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back