• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September SJPDP?

barnettstakeagiantstep

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 Frances
2021 Primitivo
Thoughts, advice and experiences to share for a September start in SJPDP?
How to pack for the weather is my big question.
Thanks in advance:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It will probably be hot in September, and cool off as you get into October. Bring light layers, so that you can start with several layers and take them off as the day gets warmer.

You should be aware that numbers leaving SJPDP in September can be very large and there can be real pressure on accommodation. In 2016 I was one of 15 people taken off a seriously overcrowded train and sent by taxi to SJPDP at SNCF's expense. Every albergue bed in town was occupied that night. Although I prefer not to book ahead I might make an exception in this case and reserve a place in SJPDP and perhaps Roncesvalles too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola
The weather in northern Spain in Sept/Oct can be quite varied. In general you can expect very warm to hot (especially on the Meseta). But (and its a big but) the weather can change at any time, all it will take is for a big storm to come in from the Nth Atlantic and you get two or three days of rain and strong winds. Given that it rains 200-250 days a year in Galicia so from O"Cebreiro come prepared.

It will probably be hot in September, and cool off as you get into October. Bring light layers, so that you can start with several layers and take them off as the day gets warmer.
We started from SJPP on Sept 23 & got to Santiago on Nov. 2. Went on to Finisterre from there. The weather was wildly varied, from very hot for the first half to knee deep snow just past O'cebriero. Crawling under downed trees at one point in heavy snow and wind. Rain and winds were fierce from Santiago to Finisterre, almost made us quit. We loved every step of the way. We hope to do it again in spring of 2020, or even fall of 2020.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was there last September and found that I started early in the morning at about 7 degrees centigrade. It can go up to 25 or more around 2 pm. I was lucky: having been three times on the Camino, twice in May and once in September, I have not counted more than 3 days of rain in all. Buen Camino. ps I am starting again in St-Jean on Sept 13.

We started from SJPP on Sept 23 & got to Santiago on Nov. 2. Went on to Finisterre from there. The weather was wildly varied, from very hot for the first half to knee deep snow just past O'cebriero. Crawling under downed trees at one point in heavy snow and wind. Rain and winds were fierce from Santiago to Finisterre, almost made us quit. We loved every step of the way. We hope to do it again in spring of 2020, or even fall of 2020.
What year was this?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can't tell your what the weather WILL BE (other than unpredictable)
but I can say what the weather is....

Check out these two sites

For Orisson....

and for Mount Urkulu....

This link http://www.aemet.es/en/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos will take you to the historic weather conditions for any region of Spain and provide an indication of what the weather might be like this otoño.

As for packing: layers, waterproofs, a lightweight sleeping bag if you're used to higher median temperatures. Its a bit like packing for an English Summer Holiday - a waterproof sun-dress and some open-toed boots are essential ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.