• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Serge the "Garbage" man

LTfit

Veteran Member
Yesterday the Frenchman Serge stayed with us in Ponferrada where I am working as a hospitalera. With his permission I am posting his picture and telling of his experience picking up garbage along the Camino Francés.

He is an exemplary pilgrim who cleans up the Camino on a daily basis - day in, day out. In rain or shine. During 2018 alone he has disposed of more than 200 large garbage bags of debris, debris that we pilgrims throw away.

He is so dedicated that he records how many bags he fills every day in a book. He has also written various Camino associations suggesting a method to maintain the Camino clean but no one seems interested as he has never received an answer.

Let's help Serge keep the Camino clean and pick up after ourselves. While we're at it why not pick up anything we see along the way.

Bravo Serge!

DSC_2594.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you to Serge and others like him who work so hard to clean up the Caminos. So far, I have walked the Camino Frances, Portuguese and St. Olav's Way and found the Camino Frances to be the worst for garbage and human waste - likely because it is the busiest but still unnecessary.

Although plastic bottles, food wrap, etc leave a mess, the human waste and toilet paper was the most offensive and hazardous to health. Also, with the number of cafes along the way, it is by and large unnecessary. Minimally, dig a hole for your feces and put your toilet paper in a bag and dispose it when you get to a garbage can/facility. Even better, bag your feces and take it with you.

We have the privilege of walking through these beautiful countries with gracious and hospitable people and we leave behind our messes. We wouldn't do that in our own backyards so why do we think it is okay to do it in theirs?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Incredible that Camino associations haven’t answered him or shown interest in his suggestions.

I would like to add another personal note about Serge. He actually taught me a great lesson, one which was important to learn as a hospitalera. When he came in late in the evening I looked at his credential and questioned whether he was walking the Camino or just wanted a cheap place to sleep. He was walking backwards he said and it was difficult to see where he had slept the day before. I didn't say anything. Only in the morning did he tell me his story. The Camino teaches us something every day. We just need to take the time to listen.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow, LTfit
You have touched a subject that hit me on my last CF on 2017. Yes , Serge is my hero because he has done something about which so many of us only observe and go on observing but do little about.
Last camino I pledged to start carrying a clear plastic bag on my backpack .
So. This April we walk the CP with my plastic bag displayed on my pack to remind others to be more respectful of the privilege of walking in history.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back