• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Serge the "Garbage" man

LTfit

Veteran Member
Yesterday the Frenchman Serge stayed with us in Ponferrada where I am working as a hospitalera. With his permission I am posting his picture and telling of his experience picking up garbage along the Camino Francés.

He is an exemplary pilgrim who cleans up the Camino on a daily basis - day in, day out. In rain or shine. During 2018 alone he has disposed of more than 200 large garbage bags of debris, debris that we pilgrims throw away.

He is so dedicated that he records how many bags he fills every day in a book. He has also written various Camino associations suggesting a method to maintain the Camino clean but no one seems interested as he has never received an answer.

Let's help Serge keep the Camino clean and pick up after ourselves. While we're at it why not pick up anything we see along the way.

Bravo Serge!

DSC_2594.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you to Serge and others like him who work so hard to clean up the Caminos. So far, I have walked the Camino Frances, Portuguese and St. Olav's Way and found the Camino Frances to be the worst for garbage and human waste - likely because it is the busiest but still unnecessary.

Although plastic bottles, food wrap, etc leave a mess, the human waste and toilet paper was the most offensive and hazardous to health. Also, with the number of cafes along the way, it is by and large unnecessary. Minimally, dig a hole for your feces and put your toilet paper in a bag and dispose it when you get to a garbage can/facility. Even better, bag your feces and take it with you.

We have the privilege of walking through these beautiful countries with gracious and hospitable people and we leave behind our messes. We wouldn't do that in our own backyards so why do we think it is okay to do it in theirs?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Incredible that Camino associations haven’t answered him or shown interest in his suggestions.

I would like to add another personal note about Serge. He actually taught me a great lesson, one which was important to learn as a hospitalera. When he came in late in the evening I looked at his credential and questioned whether he was walking the Camino or just wanted a cheap place to sleep. He was walking backwards he said and it was difficult to see where he had slept the day before. I didn't say anything. Only in the morning did he tell me his story. The Camino teaches us something every day. We just need to take the time to listen.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wow, LTfit
You have touched a subject that hit me on my last CF on 2017. Yes , Serge is my hero because he has done something about which so many of us only observe and go on observing but do little about.
Last camino I pledged to start carrying a clear plastic bag on my backpack .
So. This April we walk the CP with my plastic bag displayed on my pack to remind others to be more respectful of the privilege of walking in history.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back