• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Setting off on del Norte from Irun

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am leaving from Boston in early May. Would love to compare mote when we arivve back home

Getting very excited to start, my wife, Suzy and I, have been planning and will leave Providence for Irun by way of Dublin mid June
Hi there @wtrimble
Welcome to the forum and happy planning.
A wonderful way! Give yourselves time to ‘smell the roses ‘ and ease into the first week as you will have read that there are quite a few ‘ups and downs’ .,also., don’t be in a rush to stay with others unless it fits your fitness.
Buen Camino
Annie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Brianne
You’ll enjoy it.. and youre sure to meet others on this way but it shouldn’t be too congested in early May. Not sure what stops you have planned but I broke up the walk from Irun to San Sebastián as I’d travelled from oz. The albergue at Pasajes de San Juan (Alb. De pereginos Santa Ana ) is only small and easy to get to before they fill up if you don’t intend going all the way to San S.
The Hospitalera in 2014 at ‘Pasajes’ advised me to think about staying next night in Orio(after SS)., which I did, at Albergue San Martín which was relaxing and in a lovely spot.
So many options really but you’ll enjoy the whole way as views are incredible in places.
Buen Camino
Annie

I am not sure, the coastal route and them Oveido on the Primitivo. I have been told to skip Gijon. There is no book as well done as Bierley and so I am just going to put one foot in front of the other and see what happens

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Brianne
You’ll enjoy it.. and youre sure to meet others on this way but it shouldn’t be too congested in early May. Not sure what stops you have planned but I broke up the walk from Irun to San Sebastián as I’d travelled from oz. The albergue at Pasajes de San Juan (Alb. De pereginos Santa Ana ) is only small and easy to get to before they fill up if you don’t intend going all the way to San S.
The Hospitalera in 2014 at ‘Pasajes’ advised me to think about staying next night in Orio(after SS)., which I did, at Albergue San Martín which was relaxing and in a lovely spot.
So many options really but you’ll enjoy the whole way as views are incredible in places.
Buen Camino
Annie
Annie, thank you so much for these ideas. I will tuck them in my book. I really want to start slow as I heard the walk is difficult the first week

Hi Brianne
If you want to check out the route - have a look at the two sites below
I often check on gronze. They include lots of information as well as profile maps and distances etc.
On the mundi site ; you can select the English translation. However easy to work out what you’re looking at without translation.

There are quite a few guide books., hard copy and for kindle etc. ‘The northern caminos
Also ‘Wise pilgrim ‘

http://www.mundicamino.com
http://www.gronze.com
Ps. If you’re walking the primitivo ., you won’t need to skip Gijîn as your route turns towards Oviedo before it.

I originally planned to include primitivo in 2014 but had a fall before the turn off. I decided to continue the full Norte that year. Very happy with that.
I came back 2015 and walked Salvador (LeĂłn to Oviedo ) and continued on Primitivo then.
They are all wonderful routes and if you’re anything like the rest of us., don’t sweat about the one you don’t choose this time., you’re probably be back again to do the other when you get your next travel opportunity!!
Buen Camino.
Annie

Today is one month until myself and my wife leave from Providence RI to start our Camino del Norte. We fly on Norwegian to Dublin arriving on the morning of 20th of June. We fly to Biarritz the following morning and will bus or walk to Irun. We have all preparations done here. After checking with our US phone carrier, we decided we need to get a European SIM for our phones on arrival. Does anyone have a suggestion for a Spanish network?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.