• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Setting out from London on October 1

M

Metropolly

Hello, this is my first post. I've walked to Santiago from Le Puy before but in stages, over several years. For a long time I've wanted to do the pilgrimage all in one go, starting from my front door and probably taking the route through Tours. Well, the opportunity has presented itself now - but I'd have to leave in October. This would mean probably getting to SJPP and crossing to Roncesvalles in mid-November... Is that just stupid? I'm a woman walking alone. Will everything be shut? Is it likely to be dangerously snowy? Would I be better sticking to the better-marked, more-frequented and stunningly beautiful Le Puy route, or even (it would break my heart) starting at the crossing to Roncesvalles?

Any advice/warnings/words of encouragement would be most welcome!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hallo metropolly, i have no experience on winter walking on the Camino frances, but i wanted to point out to you a third alternative ,for the french bit of your walk, besides Tours and Le Puy which i think you could possibly consider. It's the Vezelay way we (me and my wife Elisa) walked last may. Check this on the forum. It's well marked, with a good guide (in french) with more opportunities for lodging than the Tours way (from what i've read ) and, possibly, more accessible for somebody coming from UK. We did in fact meet a few brits along the way.
Let me know what do you think and if you would like more details i'll be glad to give all the info i have.
Giorgio
PS. Another possibility for walkers coming from Tours/Vezelay routes for continuing into Spain could be the Camino del Norte ( the coast trail )

Thanks, Giorgio. I'd love any information you could give me on the Vezelay route. How long from Vezelay to SJPP?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here you can have a glance at all walks leading to Santiago
From Vezelay to Sjpp 884/904 km depending which branch you take out of Vezelay . You can see that you could go from Orleans to Chateauroux on the Vezelay route.
Giorgio

Attachments

• mapusc.jpg
    mapusc.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 299
Hi

we are cycling from home in stages via Vezelay. We set out from East Anglia, and crossed to Holland, cycling to Bruges and then along canal or river paths east to Namur and then south down the Meuse to Reims. Next stage was Reims to Limoges via Chalons-en-Champagne, Vitry-le-francais, near Troyes, Chaource, Tonnerre to Vezelay and then the northern choice via Bourges.

Last year I followed a blog from a couple who walked from SE England to Santaigo, - they walked through Normandy, through Reims and down to Vezelay, then south to join the Le Puy route. http://verylongwalks.blogspot.com/2008_ ... chive.html I have just tidied up my bookmarks but kept this one because it was so interesting and has lovely photos.

Our blog may be of interest - not quite complete from last year and we leave in 2 weeks for this year's stage!!

The best guide to the Vezelay route is the Chassain guide which is available from the CSJ in London
http://www.csj.org.uk/
This may be helpful too: http://www.amis-saint-jacques-de-compos ... r/?lang=fr

I wish you well for all you planning and walking and look forward one day to being able to make the Very Long Walk myself!

It's been great to hear about all the exciting camino trips you're all doing, and thanks for your encouragement.

But my question really is about how much I, a fairly fit but not-very-big woman walking alone, could reasonably manage starting in October. I'm happy with a solitary walk, but not with the thought of being entirely alone in a snowy wilderness with few waymarks and no accommodation! The camino will take me where it will take me, but I'm not sure where to meet the camino.

I'm hoping for spiritual balm, rather than a pioneering adventure! Perhaps I'll re-walk the Camino Frances, as I pretty much raced through it with my head down when I did it in stages before. Same camino, different approach...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Maybe it depends on how much money you can afford to spend. In France you might have to go for chambre's d'hote or cheal hotels rather than pilgrim gites which might close in October. (Check the Amis website above) Certainly until you reach Vezelay or where ever. If you were doing the Vezelay route and using the Chassain guide you would have lists of possible resting places ahead and could ring ahead a few days to check out what was open and what was not. (Actually, the book we had for the GR456 from Namur via Reims to Vezelay also has long lists of stopping places including hostels, gites, monasteries. Again, you could ring and plan ahead)

I have read on here about people crossing from SJPDP in Novemebr/December. They sometimes wait until the weather is right. You could wait to cross with others. You could just take a taxi and not walk that bit!! My understanding is that there are refugios which open all the year round - again, information ahead (pilgrim office in SJPDP) would help you plan.

It's up to you, whether you are really up for a solitary pilgrimage. I think you might well have lonely days, although probably not once in Spain. Somebody has written a book recently about silence. As a positive choice a long journey on your own could be really great!!

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks again, Bridget and Peter. Your enthusiasm, encouragement and goodwill makes me feel I'm already on the camino! I'm finding this forum extremely compelling, like a siren call to the road to Santiago

Thanks again, Bridget and Peter. Your enthusiasm, encouragement and goodwill makes me feel I'm already on the camino! I'm finding this forum extremely compelling, like a siren call to the road to Santiago

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow - that really is a great blog. I guess the only limitations come from within; Lesson One of my camino! Thanks again, chaps

If you end up on the Camino Frances again, I will probably run into you. I am walking alone and am not terribly athletic. Just think...the refugios will still be open mainly and not as many people. I imagine that it will be a different experience from the first time that you walked.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello any November pilgrims! I am going with my 12 year old son in November. I know he will be keen to do the Pyrenees bit and I'm worried about the weather and safety with few pilgrims on the road and regugios being shut. Hopefully there will be some others on the road and it will be extra special because it isn't so busy. I am interested in joining with others to walk the first bit over the pass during the earlier part of November. I just think it seems sensible not to do that bit alone.

Hi,

Why not to walk on -- what is called by the 2 guide books English authors -- the "Three Saint's Way" from Winchester -- through Mont-St-Michel -- to St-Jean-D'Angely on the Via Turonensis ?

More information HERE (Use only IE !)

Théo

Salangoney - I think it's likely I'll be crossing to Roncesvalles in early November. I really hope your plans are going well, and that your questions about travelling with your son have been answered satisfactorily. Do let me know how your itinerary unfolds - you're right, it would be best if there were a few of us going up from SJPP, just for peace of mind.

Theo - that's a great idea, but probably not for me. Also, I've already devised in my head a route from my home in central London to Canterbury and from there to Dover for the ferry to Boulogne, along to Paris, etc. It would be a wonderful challenge and something to be proud of - but I don't think I'll do it. I'd like to stick to a simpler camino on a well-trodden path. I feel like I'm letting all you adventurers down! Who knows, I may capitulate - and if I do, I'll certainly let you all know about it!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and encouragement

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back