• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shikkoku 88 compared to the Camino

duncanwhyte

Time of past OR future Camino
Vdlp
[Moderator note: Some posts about the Shikkoku 88 have been moved from this thread which asks about the Camino.]

From what I've read, the Shikkoku 88 requires ceremony at the shrine and being a guest in someone's home. The Camino is more informal. It's left to the pilgrim to create as much as they require. That might be the unexpected difference.

I'm considering a visit to Japan, hopefully spring or autumn. Which I'd like to do on the hoof, camping ad hoc and exploring. Is that possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From what I've read, the Shikkoku 88 requires ceremony at the shrine and being a guest in someone's home.
Yes to the first part but not the second - or not necessarily anyway. There are set rituals to be performed at each temple though quite how strictly they are observed will vary a great deal according to the individual's own beliefs and intentions. As for accommodation - an extremely varied mix of options. In the entire 1,200 km I was only once a guest in someone's home although I did also spend a night sleeping in a daishi-do in a family's garden and another in a dedicated pilgrim hut close by a family home.

From what I've read, the Shikkoku 88 requires ceremony at the shrine and being a guest in someone's home. The Camino is more informal. It's left to the pilgrim to create as much as they require. That might be the unexpected difference.

I'm considering a visit to Japan, hopefully spring or autumn. Which I'd like to do on the hoof, camping ad hoc and exploring. Is that possible?
It doesn't require ceremonies at the temples (shrines are for Shinto, temples are for Buddhism, though there is some mixing) and about 95% of pilgrims stay in small inns and guest houses. A handful of temples have lodgings, and those are wonderful. It's very, very rare to stay in a private home. Wild camping is frowned upon, though a few people do it anyway. It is, however, a wonderful pilgrimage. If you search the web or Facebook for Shikoku 88 or for the word henro, you'll find lots more information.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Okay thanks for explaining.

With camping, how available are the official sites? It seems some are limited in services and some need advance booking. What's the format here?

Okay thanks for explaining.

With camping, how available are the official sites? It seems some are limited in services and some need advance booking. What's the format here?
As you say, some need advance reservations. There's a book called Shikoku Japan 88 Route Guide by Naoyuki Matsushita. It's the bible for walking pilgrims who can't read the Japanese guidebook. (Actually, some Japanese pilgrims use Matsushita's book because the maps are better.) There are some useful websites, but no really good apps yet.

Very few official sites. Wild camping or sleeping in the pilgrim rest huts used to be widely tolerated but this is no longer so true. This post by the author of the definitive pilgrim guide for the Shikoku circuit lists official camp sites but also explains the growing problem which wild camping presents.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back